• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington 4-6-08

mondeo

Date(s) Skied: April 6th 2008

Resort or Ski Area: Killington

Conditions: Firm early, corn late

Trip Report: First run at around 9, pretty much everything was still pretty firm at that point. Up until ~11:30ish just skied around, about the same conditions everywhere. By 10 the places that were being skied in were decent corn, but nobody had hit the bumps at all yet. 11:30 A big group of bump skiers showed up (~15, largest I've seen there this year,) and people started hitting the bump run on O.L. Happened to ride up with the woman who missed the Sundown bump competition, who knew all the bumpers, so I skied with them for the rest of the day, thoroughly outmatching myself. Top of O.L. was thin corn over hard pack, so we hit the Bear Trap terrain park and then the crossover from lower Wildfire, and skied that the rest of the day. Bumps started to soften up a bit, and they were deep and tight, and decently soft by the end of the day.

Basically, started off a little bit rough but decent by the end, but unfortunately not the sunny T-shirt skiing weather I was hoping for for the last day at Bear this year.

Also of note was that two of the guys I ended up skiing with that were competent jumpers did the terrain park together, and typically hit a simultaneous helicopter and backflip of the last jump. After a couple of times down they learned not to actually go off the jump at the same time so they didn't hit each other mid-air. And then they ripped the O.L. like it was nobody's business.

I skied like crap. I find that on steep trails like O.L., my skiing is heavily variable depending on conditions and nature of the bumps. With them being as tight as they were today, I just couldn't turn my skis quickly enough.