• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington Officially Announces Sale of Resort, New Superstar 6 Pack, New Skyeship Cabins, $30 Million of Investments

AdironRider

KZone is probably freaking the fuck out over no World Cup or spring skiing in calendar year 25 due to Supe six pack upgrade.

urungus

Two-year low energy snow gun investment. 1,000 new low-energy HKD tower and fan guns.

About 500 new guns are being installed at Killington and Pico ahead of the 2024-25 season with the remainder being installed next summer.

Four new fully automated fan guns will be installed at the bottom of the Superstar trail this season.

Superstar lift replacement: Replacement of the Superstar Quad to a high-speed six-pack with installation of the lift expected to happen summer 2025.

Skyeship Gondola revitalization: All new gondola cabins (116 in total) expected to be installed in summer 2025 and a new gondola barn to be constructed in future years.

Summer facilities investment including mountain bike trail expansion.

[snip]

It should be noted the Superstar lift replacement will affect spring skiing this season and potentially the 2025 Stifel Killington Cup.

“We do plan to make more snow in North Ridge to extend the season in the Canyon this year and are working with the lift manufacturer to finalize the construction plan for the lift before making the call on the Killington Cup,” Solimano says.

thebigo

good communication and good to hear they are going with Doppelmayr

Yes, we will be unable to replace this lift without having an impact on spring 2025 skiing and riding or the World Cup. Exact details on the installation schedule aren’t finalized with Doppelmayr, the lift manufacturer, but we do plan to make more snow in the North Ridge and Canyon area to offer late spring skiing and riding. We are committed to the longest season in the East and would offer late spring skiing and riding elsewhere on the mountain for one season.

machski

KZone is probably freaking the fuck out over no World Cup or spring skiing in calendar year 25 due to Supe six pack upgrade.
They did not say NO late season skiing, just probably not quite as long as SS holds out. Solimano for d state they would increase snowmaking depths in North Ridge and Canyon to still offer a decent late season ski experience this year. World Cup may or may not happen, probably the resort and the manufacturer trying to figure out installation timeline as it is in BT elevation zones.

snoseek

Late season skiing looks to happen in the canyon area which imo is where it's at anyway. Probably won't go as late though

urungus

Some good upgrades, but unfortunately no mention of any operational changes such as running the South Ridge Quad more frequently

Zand

Although this makes SS a unicorn lift in their fleet currently.
Would have to think that if the next two years go smoothly, you'll see Dopp lifts going in on Rams Head and Snowshed after that.

With Wachusett putting in a new 6 pack next summer, Doppelmayr is starting to rack up some work in the northeast.

urungus

Would have to think that if the next two years go smoothly, you'll see Dopp lifts going in on Rams Head and Snowshed after that.
IMO those lifts won’t get replaced until the Village plan is finalized. I’m thinking the Bear Mountain Quad will be next, it’s the oldest remaining lift (1979) other than the Snowdon Triple (1973)

RENO

I don't really care if the World Cup is impacted. I also don't care if spring skiing is cut a month short on Superstar. Looking forward to the new lift and all the other upgrades planned, especially snowmaking...

skiur

You'll still have to take the nature walk up the stairs once the runout melts.

You only need the run out to get to the bottom, will be doing laps on the canyon quad. Plus I would choose hiking out from the bottom of the quad once the runout melts out over stairway to the top and riding the gondi down.

kbroderick

I wouldn't be surprised if they set a shuttle on the run out for next spring.

They used to, years ago--I'm open sure I remember riding to/from the canyon lift in the back of a pickup--but I can't recall if that was early season or late. Either was, I thought the modern risk mitigation environment meant that they'd need to actually get shuttles to make the run, and that seems potentially challenging.