• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington Officially Announces Sale of Resort, New Superstar 6 Pack, New Skyeship Cabins, $30 Million of Investments

chuckstah

I remember riding the shuttles back in the day. It wasn't riding in the back of a pickup truck per se, it was a cattle wagon with seats being pulled by a pickup truck. But it was definitely a bumpy ride. The walk from the canyon chair down is short, much less time consuming than riding the snails pace canyon chair up, doing the stairs, and then download on the K1

kbroderick

I remember riding the shuttles back in the day. It wasn't riding in the back of a pickup truck per se, it was a cattle wagon with seats being pulled by a pickup truck. But it was definitely a bumpy ride. The walk from the canyon chair down is short, much less time consuming than riding the snails pace canyon chair up, doing the stairs, and then download on the K1
Maybe I'm misremembering, but I thought it was a mix of trailers like you described and pickups with modified beds (kinda like a flatbed with cattle rails). Entirely possible I'm thinking of a different ski area shuttle, though.

Agreed that the walk down isn't particularly bad.

skiur

Maybe I'm misremembering, but I thought it was a mix of trailers like you described and pickups with modified beds (kinda like a flatbed with cattle rails). Entirely possible I'm thinking of a different ski area shuttle, though.

That's what I remember.

chuckstah

Probably correct, long time ago.

Newpylong

Some good upgrades, but unfortunately no mention of any operational changes such as running the South Ridge Quad more frequently
Nor would it as this is an operational decision that has nothing to do with any sale. The new owners are to provide resources, not day to day management.

chuckstah

Here's a great 1998 video from YouTube. It shows both types of shuttles.

AdironRider

Spring skiing will be in the Canyon this season, where they will be making additional snow, as per the article

Nuance is not a thing when it comes to KZone.

That said, spring skiing in the Canyon, while I agree is objectively is better terrain, kind of defeats why people love it so much. It is just as much about being seen, than it is about skiing.

skiur

I prefer tailgating in bay 1 vs the access road, so there is another positive.

kbroderick

Nuance is not a thing when it comes to KZone.

That said, spring skiing in the Canyon, while I agree is objectively is better terrain, kind of defeats why people love it so much. It is just as much about being seen, than it is about skiing.
It's not just about being seen; it's also about making it easy to mix socializing (and beverage consumption) between runs without feeling like you've left the venue. IMO, of course.

AdironRider

Thats what I meant about being seen. No one really cares about watching a specific person ski really, but they do care about doing in and amongst their friends.

Spring skiing isn't about getting after it, unless you include drinking, socializing and getting a goggle tan in equal parts.

slatham

There is no spring substitute for SS. But for a new lift, the price (and novelty) of Canyon/NR should be worth it.

And with the stairs (and liability issues) I bet no shuttles……