• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington this weekend? 11/20-21

skiingsnow

Killington's interactive trail guide is showing top-to-bottom skiing for tomorrow.

Killington is NOT open top to bottom for tomorrow. The Snowdon Poma opens at 10am with Upper Bunny Buster, Upper Mouse Run, Killink, and Middle Great Northern.

Middle Great Northern runs all the way to the base, but only the part between the base of the North Ridge Triple down to the base of the Snowdon Poma is open.

The interactive map I think can only light up the whole trail or nothing, they aren't able to just show the top half of that trail that is open.

UVSHTSTRM

I must say the pics skiingsnow posted over at Kzone were very impressive, what fire power!

skiingsnow

Well, so much for skiingsnow and the inside scoop. Middle Chute and lower Bunny Buster had pretty good cover and a nice soft surface today.

Wow, I was not providing any type of inside scoop, simply stating what Killington's snow report said, and letting people know that when the interactive map says Great Northern is open to the base, that it was not going to be open to the base. It still is not open to the base.

Geoff

Wow, I was not providing any type of inside scoop, simply stating what Killington's snow report said, and letting people know that when the interactive map says Great Northern is open to the base, that it was not going to be open to the base. It still is not open to the base.

Then why did you write "Killington is NOT open top to bottom tomorrow"?

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
He wrote that yesterday because the trail report from yesterday didn't have any lower mountain trails listed as open and specifically said skiers and riders would need to hike back up to the K1 to download. I checked it myself yesterday when trying to decide how to play this weekend. I might have gone to K today if I had known it would be top to bottom.

:smash:

Geoff

He wrote that yesterday because the trail report from yesterday didn't have any lower mountain trails listed as open and specifically said skiers and riders would need to hike back up to the K1 to download. I checked it myself yesterday when trying to decide how to play this weekend. I might have gone to K today if I had known it would be top to bottom.

:smash:

After 4 years of POWDR and Killington early season snow reports, this is pretty typical. Anybody could look at their thermometer last night and know that they had the window to blow lower Bunny and get it open by mid-morning. It's really bad business to get the snow report wrong. You think the Preston Smith Killington would have announced they were shooting for top-to-bottom yesterday?

skiingsnow

I could have worded it differently, but people thought they were opening today on Great Northern to the base and as of yesterday that was not the announced plan for today, so I wanted to be clear that that wasn't what was meant by what was shown on the interacitve map.

As for your latest comments, isn't it better to underpromise and overdeliver? They said Upper Snowdon for today and by morning they opened new trails to the base. Today would have been a disaster if they didn't open to the base, and an even bigger mess had they announced "sometime this weekend" and then it wasn't able to open today.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Anybody could look at their thermometer last night and know that they had the window to blow lower Bunny and get it open by mid-morning. It's really bad business to get the snow report wrong. You think the Preston Smith Killington would have announced they were shooting for top-to-bottom yesterday?
Fooled two people in this thread. I may not be a K regular, but I ain't no amateur either.

Nice thread redirect after getting called out for improperly calling someone else out when they were just reporting what was posted on an official snow report. :roll:

Geoff

Fooled two people in this thread. I may not be a K regular, but I ain't no amateur either.

Nice thread redirect after getting called out for improperly calling someone else out when they were just reporting what was posted on an official snow report. :roll:

This is not the first time the POWDR Killington has said one thing and done something completely different the next day. I look out the window to see my reality. I walked up to look at lower Bunny around 10:30 last night. It was pretty obvious they had enough snow down to open in the morning after the sled dogs had a chance to put up rope and bamboo. Unlike Skippy, I don't take everything Tom Horrocks writes on the web site as gospel.

skiingsnow

Unlike Skippy, I don't take everything Tom Horrocks writes on the web site as gospel.

First off Tom is in NYC right now. Second, he is not the snow reporter!

Also, why would they announce a top to bottom opening without knowing if it was going to be possible? They announced Upper Bunny Buster yesterday and today it didn't end up having enough snow. Very little impact not having Upper Bunny (which got more gun time than Lower Bunny, and has snowguns going on both sides of the trail a good portion of the trail, and had lower temps at that elevation) it would have been a huge problem had they announced Lower Bunny and then it wasn't able to happen today.

And they filled the parking lot anyhow and everyone was happy!

Last edited:

zinger3000

Anyone know if Killington is open Thursday Thanksgiving Day? If so, how are the crowds compared to a weekend or weekday?

2knees

Thats funny. My son is a Freshman there and Loves it! If you have any questions, send me a PM.

Killington may be skiing top to bottom this weekend, the guns are lit all the way to the base right now!

i went to castleton for a few years. also spent a year at green mountain. hope they enjoy their time there. cool places, both.

Rogman

Temperatures have been rather unpredictable. Several degrees difference between actual and predicted. I think K got a better window than they expected, and more Friday night production than they expected. Skiingsnow wasn't the only one fooled. In the home owners meeting Saturday MORNING Nyberg stated that they expected to get open T2B Sunday. An hour later they drooped the ropes And before the AZ loony fringe goes "the guy doesn't know what's going on with his own resort", well, it isn't his call to make, that's Mt Ops and ski patrol. He simply sets goals: in this case, open T2B ASAP. When the decision was made, Nyberg wasn't available, and they didn't need an "Okay". That's good management; delegate, and empower people to make decisions in the field.