• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Missing the season!

drjeff

First Saturday in 22 weeks that I have been at home in my house in CT and not in VT and skiing. Had this weekend and the next 2 weekends stuff that won't let me get to VT and ski.

100% miss it, even after a 65 day ski season, and a bunch of my Mount Snow regular ski friends are the same way in text threads this weekend!

Skiing is in our blood. And I am glad to be a part of AZ where it's also in the blood of so many regulars too!

I love my golf season for the next 30 or so weeks, but I think my 22 or so weeks of ski season for me year round activity are less meaningful!

cdskier

Funny...I just packed up and drove back to NJ today from VT. I was thinking the same thing tonight just a little while ago about how I miss it already.

Kingslug20

I think I have to at least go to SB closing day next sunday...and use the 2 remaining K days I have left...not ready to pack it in.

snoseek

Im right there with you. I would move on to other things but the damn weather pisses rain every single day off I have.

machski

Go west friends, go west!! Just headed home from a quick 3 day strike to Mammoth, so worth it!! Unbelievable snow depths, great spring skiing weather and snow and it isn't going away anytime soon. Even at this junction in time, more snow down in town even than I've ever seen here. Heck, even down into the lower lands past the airport by the hotsprings are still buried (road to the springs isn't even dug out yet). Sad part is, a lot of the structural damage from this massive snow load is starting to show up. Some folks have a huge mess and $$ to deal with.

KustyTheKlown

yep. super annoyed about the weather holding me back from 50 days. i have a tinge of regret for not abusing myself to get to sugarloaf for yesterday. looked like the rain held off and the sun was out for much of the day. but thats just so far for one day.

i have been gaming out short trips to ski via denver, slc, reno, and LA. everything is a lot of money, after a season where i spent a lot of money, and i'd be violating the tacit agreement that defines the long-standing skiing related detente between my girlfriend and i that goes from ~may thru october. going to vermont for a day or two in may is one thing, but taking time off from work and spending real money to go out west i think she would be pretty reasonably upset with me. tradeoff for having a loving supportive partner who puts up with me being away a lot is she calls the summer shots more or less.

it was also difficult yesterday for me in that it just poured all day and there was nothing fun to do and i feel like i've reached the end of television content. i went to the gym early but then i just fuckin sat around and ate like shit all day and eventually got a stomachache. i hate not having a reason to be outside exercising. if it were nice out i'd at least bike or wander nyc randomly and end up walking 20k steps. same shit on tap tooday with this storm coming in soon.

Last edited:

Hawk

Friday was awesome and Saturday until about 1pm was great. They say there will be a window today also. So there is skiing to be had at Sugarbush and Killington. I will be back up next weekend to ski unless it is a wash out but right now it does not look that way. I did not keep track this year and my Ikon is definetly off. It did not track me early season for some reason. I am over 50 somewhere. who knows I might be approaching 60? Whatever. Mountain Biking this year did not end for us on the coast north of Boston so I can't say I am going to start biking season. Well I guess I could say we are entering road biking season. Not old enough to restart my golf career. I retired when I was 20, when I began biking and beach volley ball tourniments. Maybe some day. I will think about skiing in the off season but I can't say I will totally miss it. Too much to do. MIssing it does not occur until September usually.

Edd

I’d love a Mammoth trip but have to save vacation time for non-ski stuff.

abc

That doesn't matter as nobody is open midweek anymore.
It washes the snow away.

Can’t bike either. :(

But I shouldn’t complain. Hypothetically, what I don’t get in slushy bumps, I’ll get a longer white water season (or more flow). Except the reality is, I’m retiring from white water. So not benefiting from the rain... (sigh)

skiur

It washes the snow away.

Can’t bike either. :(

But I shouldn’t complain. Hypothetically, what I don’t get in slushy bumps, I’ll get a longer white water season (or more flow). Except the reality is, I’m retiring from white water. So not benefiting from the rain... (sigh)

Doesn't wash the snow away when the temps are in 30s like they are at elevation this coming week. Sun would melt a lot more snow than rain would.

Last edited:

2Planker

Back when SR was open till May 1, we used to do a triathalon of moguls on White Heat, water skiing on Long Lake and then 9 holes at Norway CC. Good time for sure

Kingslug20

Considering what it looked like a few days ago...I would say it's fine..the headwall was huge.
There's a ton of snow on the whole trail.

thebigo

is it still fully skiable getting on/off the lift on super? and will it be this weekend? my motivation is really hammered by needing to constantly take skis on and off....
Constant overcast and cool temps resulted minimal snow loss over the last ten days. Barring some stupid heat, the top will be skiable for another couple weeks, pile still taller than the terminal. Bottom still plenty deep with potential to farm as necessary. Question is whether there will be walking at the bottom of bittersweet.

Ma nature gets the final say but I would guess they make the 21st if not memorial day.

Edit: planning to be there Friday around first chair, will post some pics if I remember.

Last edited:

skiur

Constant overcast and cool temps resulted minimal snow loss over the last ten days. Barring some stupid heat, the top will be skiable for another couple weeks, pile still taller than the terminal. Bottom still plenty deep with potential to farm as necessary. Only question is whether there will be walking at the bottom of bittersweet.

Ma nature gets the final say but I would guess they make the 21st if not memorial day.

Problem is middle supe, not much snow there, and if you look closely the dreaded "S" is just starting to show. I still think mother's day will be it.