• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Kim Jong-un North Korea Ski Resort Damaged by Mudslides

VTKilarney

As any fascist country does, North Korea has its elite. Here is a good article discussing this: https://newfocusintl.com/the-new-north-korean-elite-the-10-and-the-1/

The most recent study I could find, however, says that 84% of North Korean households have borderline or poor food consumption. This "meat" store is definitely for the 1%. It's laid out like a high end boutique, and is clearly not designed for lots of traffic.

If you want to see something really weird, take a look at the satellite view of Pyongyang in Google Maps. By any standard it's a huge city. But look at the details - because they tell the real story. Look, for example, at how few cars are on the street for a city of that size. And this is where the country's preferred class lives!

VTKilarney

Check out this video starting at about 2:20. Apparently North Koreans do not believe at all in planting their poles. Perhaps they do not want to pierce the sacred earth.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
5820]Check out this video starting at about 2:20. Apparently North Koreans do not believe at all in planting their poles. Perhaps they do not want to pierce the sacred earth.[/QUOTE]
Poles are for imperialist Americans.

Mapnut

This is pretty sad. The slopes actually look very inviting, better than any ski area in the South (which I've only looked at virtually). But few will want to go there. The only hope I see for the North is that someday in the future a reformer like Gorbachev will come to power, someone who realizes that a more liberal country will do better all around.

The South is developing a new mountain for the 2018 downhills; I can't wait to see it. I think I've found the location on Google Earth, though it doesn't show any work in progress yet. It's a 5,000-ft. mountain with easily a 3,000 vertical drop. I assume it will need 100% snowmaking.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
The South is developing a new mountain for the 2018 downhills; I can't wait to see it. I think I've found the location on Google Earth, though it doesn't show any work in progress yet. It's a 5,000-ft. mountain with easily a 3,000 vertical drop. I assume it will need 100% snowmaking.
Mt Gariwang, just NW of Najeon Station?[h=3][/h]

COskiauthority

Supposed to be "luxurious"

I read today that it is actually supposed to be great. I have my doubts: http://voices.yahoo.com/worlds-luxurious-ski-resort-north-korea-12561997.html?cat=16

some pretty funny/sad reader comments:

The ski lift isn't the only new development in the DPRK. In yet another technological coup, North Korean scientists claim they've developed a way to turn snow into water. The secretive nation released few details of the process, but it's believed scientists discovered that snow, when introduced to a heat source, becomes water. One press release described water as, "palatable, delicious and nutritious." Sources say North Korea currently lacks the technology to package water, but it is expected that executing a few hundred thousand dissidents will free up sufficient resources to bring water to urban areas within a few years.

Yes indeed! A nation that makes nuclear bombs and ICBMs should surely be able to rig up a simple ski lift. The author of this fallacious report should be summarily fired (like Kim's uncle!).

Also, has anyone considered that maybe NK has finally gotten better at their photoshopping skills and they really don't have a ski lift yet?
Yes, they have. Only it's a pirated copy of Photoshop and not the latest version.

Love to see the après ski activity center.

I have a hard time imagining what he is going to use for ski gear? After all, it is useless to have a lift if you don't have the accouterments to ski with. How is going to import that?

He can always sell snow cones at the ski lodge . . .

There must be some mightly strong cable on that lift system.

In the general spirit of the DPRK, the resort's new restaurant will challenge it's hungry patrons to attempt to scavenge as much spilled millet from passing train cars while also trying to avoid being shot by Government goons. These lucky survivors are free to enjoy their hard won meal swaddled in the luxury of this Apres ski paradise.[/QUOTE]