• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Lafayette / Lincoln on Feb. 6th

Max

Started out via the Bridle Path at 7:45 this morning. Bare-booted it all the way to the hut, though there were a few dicey spots on the Agony Ridge section of trail where it would have been prudent to put on the crampons. I managed to scramble by without them. I stopped at the hut just long enough to get a drink and take off my wind pants as it was warming up appreciably. From there to the summit, there was a remarkable lack of snow and ice. So little that acres of grass and rocks were visible. It looked like a day in early November! I had to scramble around one icy stretch just before the summit, reaching the top in 2 hours.

Beautiful day...crystal clear, not a breath of wind! Talked to 4 Canadian guys who had camped out the previous night. Headed across the ridge to Lincoln, avoiding what little ice there was. I really could have hiked from Greenleaf hut to Little Haystack in trail runners...amazing stuff in February!

After bagging Lincoln and trudging over to Little Haystack, I put on the crampons, figuring the descent might be a little tricky without them. I was right. It wasn't bad until the lower sections by the waterfalls where crampons were 100% essential to avoid a nasty fall. The footing all the way down Falling Waters trail was wonderful and I made it from summit to parking lot in 75 minutes.

A great hike, back home in time to watch the Superbowl, and got #43 and #44 off my winter list....only Tecumseh, Cabot, Jefferson, and Isolation to go. I hope to finish up some time this winter on one of the latter two.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
i was skiing at cannon today and was amazed how clear and wonderful the conditions were. the ridge was visably snow free and i'm not surprised to hear just how snow free it really was! here's one from cannon of the ridge today.