• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Lake Effect At It Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaybird

Ever heard of Wilmot 'Mountain'?
They dug a hole and piled the dirt on the edge of the hole.
Believe they achieved a vertical of a few hundred feet.
Tug Hill Plateau is great snowfall, but very few people there.

Cornhead

Snow Ridge with 4ft wasn't easy, but it sure was fun! You just had to eat into the fresh from the groomed swath on the edge of the trail, I learned that the hard way, glad my heart was up to the task of extricating myself. Now the very steep ravines off the map, that was a different story, bliss. Oh, it doesn't hurt that the lake snow at SR is on par with the fluff out West either.;) It only takes one snowboarder's track to make the surrounding snow skiable, just ski in and out of the track.

Snowlover

I stick by the fact that you would have to walk a lot with 2 feet at Wachusett. Like I said, some of the trails like Smith, 10th, and Conifer would all be enjoyable until the run out. All the intermediate terrain would pretty much require walking before you could get to a pitch that would give you speed. Skiing in powder is a blast just much more enjoyable at a mountain that actually has some pitch. Skiing slow on a trail with zero pitch is not enjoyable for me.

Wachusett has zero pitch? LOL A place that has zero pitch is usually a green cutback trail where you see snowboarders unstrapping in sections. I would hardly describe wawa like that. It has a consistent pitch. It's negative is the crowds. It's obviously not super steep, but it definitely has a fun pitch. Well obviously, it's just not steep enough for you. Which is a far cry from saying you can't ski powder on it. It seems like you wouldn't like to ski wawa even without powder due to the fact that it's not steep enough for you.

We have a "steep snob" on our hands. lol ;)

Snowlover

Snow Ridge with 4ft wasn't easy, but it sure was fun! You just had to eat into the fresh from the groomed swath on the edge of the trail, I learned that the hard way, glad my heart was up to the task of extricating myself. Now the very steep ravines off the map, that was a different story, bliss. Oh, it doesn't hurt that the lake snow at SR is on par with the fluff out West either.;) It only takes one snowboarder's track to make the surrounding snow skiable, just ski in and out of the track.

My point exactly

MadMadWorld

Wachusett has zero pitch? LOL A place that has zero pitch is usually a green cutback trail where you see snowboarders unstrapping in sections. I would hardly describe wawa like that. It has a consistent pitch. It's negative is the crowds. It's obviously not super steep, but it definitely has a fun pitch. Well obviously, it's just not steep enough for you. Which is a far cry from saying you can't ski powder on it. It seems like you wouldn't like to ski wawa even without powder due to the fact that it's not steep enough for you.

We have a "steep snob" on our hands. lol ;)

Obviously you take everything literal so I'll try and keep things simple. You obviously don't know wachusett all that well. On powder days the place is a ghost town unless it's vaca week. And as far pitch goes. Wachusett isn't even slightly steep. I like to generally ski faster then the chairlift is moving. If that makes me a steep snob then yes I admit it!

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Nice picture of a snowboard Snowlover :roll:. Board vs ski can be very different. Note that I don't really own fat skis. Mine are 91mm under foot.
You're onto something. I think we all knew deep down that NEK does not know how to ski pow.

Well I am starting to wonder that point myself. We barely get any around here any more. The last good powder I skied was last year at Wildcat. 24-28 inches of weird wind effected fluffy snow (on absolutely no base) that required someone to straightline and break trail in some places. Otherwise you would get swamped up to your waist (and this was also happening to one of my lighter expert skier friends who was on Black Diamond Megawatts). Wildcat has some decent steeps but many of them were pretty wind scoured to the ground that day.

bigbob

The water content of lake effect is very low, so it disappears quickly when it warms up and mother nature gives us liquid sunshine.

wa-loaf

Obviously you take everything literal so I'll try and keep things simple. You obviously don't know wachusett all that well. On powder days the place is a ghost town unless it's vaca week. And as far pitch goes. Wachusett isn't even slightly steep. I like to generally ski faster then the chairlift is moving. If that makes me a steep snob then yes I admit it!

I don't know about 2 feet, but I skied WA with a foot plus last spring and it was a blast. A little slow near the base but even the intermediate stuff off of Minuteman skied well. No crowds and everyone had grins on their faces. It helps that it was a demo day so I really got to play around with a lot of skis. It's ironic that WA is the mtn that I discovered the Soul 7 on.

Snowlover

I don't know about 2 feet, but I skied WA with a foot plus last spring and it was a blast. A little slow near the base but even the intermediate stuff off of Minuteman skied well. No crowds and everyone had grins on their faces. It helps that it was a demo day so I really got to play around with a lot of skis. It's ironic that WA is the mtn that I discovered the Soul 7 on.
Thank you. Some of the other people on here are really weird. If you're floating in a foot....you're floating in 2 feet. For anyone who's wondering...... Don't listen to some of the people on here saying you can't ski a pitch like wawa in powder. Their totally full of it. They've obvioulsy never been anywhere other than okemo or jiminy on a powder day and probably suck at skiing real powder. If you've ever been to say mount snow and skied the blues on a pow day then you know the deal.

Last edited:

Snowlover

You can easily ski 30-40mph on a powder day at wawa. I think that's faster than a chairlift.....just maybe. Wachusett is almost always crowded. I can look at the cam. I don't think I've ever seen the place empty/ghost town. Of course "empty" at wachusett is all relative. Empty compared to the unskiable mess that it is on the weekends? Sure. Empty as in you can ski the whole trail down with no other skiers? I don't think so.(at best rarely). I've been there once on a powder day. They groomed almost all of it and it was packed. Packed compared to the weekends? No way. No lift lines, but still crowded on the slopes. There's no lift lines because they have 3 quads serving a tiny hill

wa-loaf

Thank you. Some of the other people on here are really weird. If you're floating in a foot....you're floating in 2 feet. For anyone who's wondering...... Don't listen to some of the people on here saying you can't ski a pitch like wawa in powder. Their totally full of it. They've obvioulsy never been anywhere other than okemo or jiminy on a powder day and probably suck at skiing real powder.

I wouldn't go that far. I get where MMW is coming from. The guy lives 15 minutes from Wachusett so I'm pretty sure he knows it well. In most cases unless I'm with my kids I can't spend more than 2 hrs are WA before I bored. And if it was 2 feet of wet snow you'd definitely be poling your way around in spots ...

I like how people here seem to have insight on someones ability by a few posts on an internet forum.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
You can easily ski 30-40mph on a powder day at wawa. I think that's faster than a chairlift.....just maybe. Wachusett is almost always crowded. I can look at the cam. I don't think I've ever seen the place empty/ghost town. Of course "empty" at wachusett is all relative. Empty compared to the unskiable mess that it is on the weekends? Sure. Empty as in you can ski the whole trail down with no other skiers? I don't think so.

Wait a minute. You think a chairlift goes 30-40mph?

wa-loaf

You can easily ski 30-40mph on a powder day at wawa. I think that's faster than a chairlift.....just maybe. Wachusett is almost always crowded. I can look at the cam. I don't think I've ever seen the place empty/ghost town. Of course "empty" at wachusett is all relative. Empty compared to the unskiable mess that it is on the weekends? Sure. Empty as in you can ski the whole trail down with no other skiers? I don't think so.(at best rarely). I've been there once on a powder day. They groomed almost all of it and it was packed. Packed compared to the weekends? No way. No lift lines, but still crowded on the slopes. There's no lift lines because they have 3 quads serving a tiny hill

You're quickly losing me here ...

Wachusett is ski on most mid-week (except for 4-7 when the school groups are there) and people just don't drive up there in a storm so the skiing is pretty good then (assuming they don't groom it before you get there).

Cornhead

From talking to Cornhead about his experience skiing LES, 4'+ on those hills can be real tough.
The only time I had trouble was when I got the bright idea to ski directly down the middle of a trail. I came to a dead stop, and expended uber energy to reach the groomed swath at the edge of the trail. It was bizarre, a couple ski patrol stopped uphill of me and just watched, I think they wanted to make sure I was capable of getting myself unstuck. Once the snow had been skied on, even one track, it was entirely skiable. Snowboards were better able to float in the deep snow, so they were the trailblazers of the day. I never had as much fun skiing tracked out snow. There were little islands of 4" deep snow that were fun to blast through after picking up speed. I spent the last hour of the day expanding the skied area myself, skiing along the edge of what had been skied before, ducking into the fresh snow, popping back out just as I was about to be stopped, it was pretty cool.

MadMadWorld

I wouldn't go that far. I get where MMW is coming from. The guy lives 15 minutes from Wachusett so I'm pretty sure he knows it well. In most cases unless I'm with my kids I can't spend more than 2 hrs are WA before I bored. And if it was 2 feet of wet snow you'd definitely be poling your way around in spots ...

I like how people here seem to have insight on someones ability by a few posts on an internet forum.

Yea it's not even worth it for me argue. He hangs onto one little thing I say and ignores the rest. I taught there for 8 seasons and remember very vividly having to drag kids as well adults through heavy snow. And like I said, you wouldn't have to do it everywhere but their are a lot of spots that suck. I remember dragging kids through the snow and could probably tell you the bad spots on each trail.

Status
Not open for further replies.