• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Least Favorite Trail?

Mapnut

This is an odd sort of question because whatever is your least favorite trail, why would you ski it more than once? Most of the nominations will probably be trails you have to ski to get to or get back from your favorite trails. One I've heard people complain about but I don't actually mind is the runout from the Kidderbrook trail at Stratton. It has enough pitch to be an easy coast, just one narrow place I'd rather not squeeze through with other skiers. I'll nominate Roaring Brook at Belleayre, an underachiever. It's good as an easy way down, but because of its man-made cut-and-fill unnatural terrain I find it very boring.

Quietman

Tourist Trap at S.R. At least they named it correctly! Too many trails of different levels merge into this one and after a few hours it's generally crowded with ice and moguls of the scraped off groomed snow. I've had a bunch of close calls with out of control skiers on the steep section.

dlague

Bretton - Crawford Ridge - slow going crossover trail used to get back to the lodge
Ragged - Blueberry Patch - too flat
Jay Peak - Taxi narrow crossover and often too many slow people

these are just a few - but every resort including Killington, Sunday River and others have trails we despise generally run outs or crossovers!

MadMadWorld

This is an odd sort of question because whatever is your least favorite trail, why would you ski it more than once? Most of the nominations will probably be trails you have to ski to get to or get back from your favorite trails. One I've heard people complain about but I don't actually mind is the runout from the Kidderbrook trail at Stratton. It has enough pitch to be an easy coast, just one narrow place I'd rather not squeeze through with other skiers. I'll nominate Roaring Brook at Belleayre, an underachiever. It's good as an easy way down, but because of its man-made cut-and-fill unnatural terrain I find it very boring.

Exactly. They are almost always access trails to get back to a lift or to move from one pod to another. Every mountain has them and they all suck.

dlague

Then again, if there is snow on it then I am happy because it is winter and not really thinking about trails I hate! I think more about trails I will avoid!

DoublePlanker

GrandJunction at Loon Mtn. Its rated green. Numerous trails connect to and from it. It has all types of skiers. There are people doing snowplows on it as well as other people skiing at mach1. There are some who are just trying to cut across it to go from an upper trail to a lower trail. So there is criss-cross traffic. On a busy day, it has moguls. Its like a pinball machine.

canobie#1

Middle Highway at Attitash wins my vote. It's flat, long and cuts through all the good trails.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Lower Trigger at Gunstock. Gunstock has some awful run outs and this one becomes the worst, but doesn't have to be. They rope off access to Smith where you could continue down relatively painlessly to the High Speed Quad and instead force you over to Lower Recoil then Musket to get back to the lift. Sooooo annoying.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Any trail that is only a means to get from here to there...such as a traverse or connector....and there is little or no pleasant ski experience to be had on it because it is crowded or so heavily traveled that the snow sucks. Usually these trails are GS bumps or ice.

Some notable examples I can think of would be "Deathspout" (Downspout) at Sugarbush in early season or during low snow times, Tourist Trap at Sunday River (as mentioned), Mountain Run at Squaw Valley, Northway at Jay, Gateway/Upper Skyelark at Killington, and Lower Chip's at Snowbird.

steamboat1

A few that I can think of are upper Chip's Run, Rothman Way, Bass Highway, Miners Road, Creek Road, Mid Gad traverse to Big Emma, Road to Provo, Path to Paradise just to name a few.

All at Snowbird.

:razz:

Edd

Lower Trigger at Gunstock. Gunstock has some awful run outs and this one becomes the worst, but doesn't have to be. They rope off access to Smith where you could continue down relatively painlessly to the High Speed Quad and instead force you over to Lower Recoil then Musket to get back to the lift. Sooooo annoying.

That rope is wrong....it's just wrong. It goes against all my instincts to not ski that direction.