• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Looking for day trip destinations for novice tree skiing

New Daddy

When I joined this forum more than a decade ago, I was a new dad. Now, my baby girl has grown old enough to voluntarily try glades.

Where can I find easy tree skiing that is also within 2-hour drive from Boston?
I can’t think of anywhere other than Bretton Woods, but BW is kind of too far for day tip.
I haven’t been to Ragged for a long while and can’t remember whether trees were tight there.
Recommendations would be appreciated.

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

You will need a bunch more snow to try that with a tree-skiing novice.
When there is a bunch more snow you could consider Berkshire East.

thebigo

Agree on Ragged - moose alley and exhibition are both well spaced relatively clean and low angle. Unfortunately, significantly more snow is needed before I would bring someone new to trees in there. Check the Ragged thread for a few pictures from last weekend, I averaged about one core shot per run.

Pats is another option, they have a couple short low angle tree sections that actually see man made and hold up well. Certainly nothing too challenging but an option if you want to get her that first tree experience this year.

flakeydog

Contingent on more snow in our future for sure....

I am not as familiar with areas closer to Boston but I have had the occasion this year of spending some quality time at both Dartmouth Skiway and Whaleback this year. Both were quite fun and would provide you with some good skiing in or out of the woods. Reasonably priced as well!

BenedictGomez

its def far from boston but i think the bottom of jay is the best place to learn tree skiing

Agreed. Bushwacker, specifically. I can think of no better beginner'ish tree skiing ares. What makes it so unique is that it is fairly long, low angle, relatively open spaced, and with a few spots steeper than low-angle that are also 100% avoidable if you're not ready for that. It's as if a training area for tree skiing naturally somehow developed. I was at Jay once about 5 years back and made the cardinal sin of forgetting it was Canuck school vacation. Lines for the Flyer and all lifts were ridiculous except for the Metro Quad since it's boring and only services beginner trails. Rather than waiting in > 35 minute Flyer lines I just lapped Bushwacker for several hours. I had a blast.