• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Looking for an East Coast All-Mountain Ski???

mikec142

I'm a 5'9 190lb guy who skis 170mm E88's. Love them. Find that they are perfect for all east coast conditions and work fine in powder too. Obviously they aren't true pow skis, but they are as close to all purpose as I've found. Also liked the K2 Rictor's 82mm waist as well.

WoodCore

The Blizzard Brahma is a dream ski for the east coast!

yeggous

I'm a 5'9 190lb guy who skis 170mm E88's. Love them. Find that they are perfect for all east coast conditions and work fine in powder too. Obviously they aren't true pow skis, but they are as close to all purpose as I've found. Also liked the K2 Rictor's 82mm waist as well.

I agree with your opinion of both skis. Only issue is that the E88 really does not have a lot of float. The beefiness makes it dive.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

dlague

My skis are more of an all mountain ski with dimensions of 131-87-119. Having had a more narrow ski before these float a little more. The side cut is important in this case which allows the ski to arc nicely. I have a partial twin tip which is fun to play on.

They are Rossi Phantom SC 87s (model does not exist any longer). These have been very stable at speed, and handle hard pack very well. The worked well on crud and were decent enough on powder (came from a narrow ski so anything with a little with works better). They are stiff so bumps are a challenge. I like this ski a lot but I am in need of a replacement so I am in the same boat. Hoping to score something that is similar so this thread has some good ideas!

Fischer Watea 88s look good on paper.

Glenn

I'm on the Kendo...fantastic ski. It likes to be pushed and rewards you as such. Demo if you can....

I demo'd the Experience 88; Prophet 90, and the Bushwhackers

dlague

I'm on the Kendo...fantastic ski. It likes to be pushed and rewards you as such. Demo if you can....

I demo'd the Experience 88; Prophet 90, and the Bushwhackers

These are all skis that i am looking at around the 180 length.

derivative666

I'm on Kendo 191 for crud and boilerplate. They are insane for ripping they want and loved to be pushed hard. I agree they are not good in bumps but, they crush east coast hardback.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

〽❄❅

I'm around your size 5'6" - 5'7" 140ish and am looking at next years Blizzard Latigo for a no to little fresh snow east coast groomers, bumps and some trees when not to tracked out ski.

I've been tempted to try the Blizzard Brahma but think i may be to light for it. Also it may overlap my current Kastle BMX 88 which falls short on frontside carving. In groomer hard pack i end up having to pressure my tails thru turns in order to lock in the edges, although that could be more turn radius related due to the dual radius side cut, idk. The rocker tip engages better on a inch or more new snow coming down while on the mountain, and does well with anything more on up to boot deep, the deepest new snow i've had them in. Also cuts thru the 10" deep chopped up tracked snow great for such a light low swing weight ski.

HowieT2

My son is 5'9" about 145lb and luvs luvs luvs his Line Prophet flights. They are lighter and designed for lower weight skiers

yeggous

My son is 5'9" about 145lb and luvs luvs luvs his Line Prophet flights. They are lighter and designed for lower weight skiers

True story. I tried some lines and felt like I was overpowering them. I know a girl who skis the prophets and really like them,

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app

mikestaple

Line Prophet 90s.

If if if if if you have aspirations out west then go to the 98.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

ReefBum

I have been skiing the Line Sir Francis Bacons in all types of terrain this year at Sugarbush and love them. 108 underfoot with a very tight turning radius so very quick in the bumps and trees. Of course they excel in powder and crud and I fine them to be just fine on groomers, even at high speed with minimal chatter. They have tip and tail rocker with camber in the middle and they are very light (metal free). I also like the twin tips, I feel like they release easier in the bumps.

Shredder of Gnar

I'm just about your same height and weight - I have last year's 80mm Rictors and LOVE them - when I demo'd the E88s I found the tails too wide for my pinned-leg (yes, old school) stance - nearly killed myself on them!

HowieT2

I have been skiing the Line Sir Francis Bacons in all types of terrain this year at Sugarbush and love them. 108 underfoot with a very tight turning radius so very quick in the bumps and trees. Of course they excel in powder and crud and I fine them to be just fine on groomers, even at high speed with minimal chatter. They have tip and tail rocker with camber in the middle and they are very light (metal free). I also like the twin tips, I feel like they release easier in the bumps.

Same here. Loving my bacons. And I took them out west and they were great out there in the powder.

HowieT2

Do you think the bacons would be good for a lighter guy?

Im 5'11" 175. I also have the prophet 90s which was my everyday ski before the bacons. The lines are bouncy and playful. The want to turn. I would definitely try them out. I think you'll notice, that there are other great skis that are stiffer which may be better for heavier skiers. If you're going to buy, u should demo them first. So try both

Twism86

Website
gardenstatetrout.com
If you wanted to look into something a little wider I just got the Nordica Soul Riders and am loving them. 97cm at the waist though. Very capable at everything I have tried but their only downfall is they get a little chattery at high speed on the hard stuff, they are fairly soft flexible skis. On a softer groomer when it hasn't iced over yet I think they will be fine. Worth a look.

You wouldn't happen to be from NJ originally would you?

EPB

I'm 5 11 185-190 and I bought a pair of Nordica Burner 178s this year on the cheap after skiing on 04 Fisher 161 SL, 178 Fisher GS and 06 Nordica 181 GS skis. I definitely think they're too light on groomers and would prob like something longer in that respect, but they provide decent float and are good for standard bumps. If I were in your position, I'd consider a 170 Nordica Burner (84 mm waist) or Steadfast (90 mm waist). I haven't tried the Steadfast, but the wider body would be nice.

alexcampagna898

If you wanted to look into something a little wider I just got the Nordica Soul Riders and am loving them. 97cm at the waist though. Very capable at everything I have tried but their only downfall is they get a little chattery at high speed on the hard stuff, they are fairly soft flexible skis. On a softer groomer when it hasn't iced over yet I think they will be fine. Worth a look.

You wouldn't happen to be from NJ originally would you?

No ri