• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Loon during school vacation - question

Bumpsis

A friend of mine is trying to get me to join him at Loon this coming Tuesday, which falls on the upcoming school vacation week. Thus a question to Loon skiers/riders here: am I to expect the same level of crazy one sees there on weekends?? I typically won't ski weekends anywhere if I can help it. Am I in for sh*t show??

ColdRain&Snow

I was there last Thursday, not the same but they require reservations, so there’s some control over the crowd. And that new kancamangus lift is a real people eater.

JDMRoma

Id say shit show, normal fridays are just about as bad as a Saturday this year. Avoid the gondi and Kanc8 at all costs.
you may get the morning out of it depending on your threshold for pain.

drjeff

School vacation weeks aren't always the craziness that they used to be, as less and less schools have the entire week off (many just have the Monday off now, and some states, have the following week off, and lastly some people, who don't ski/ride too often a season, by the time they get to Tuesday, after having skied/ridden Sat-Monday, need a day off.

Will it likley be like a busy Saturday next Tuesday? Nope. Will it likely have some crowds of a manageable volume? Yes

Bumpsis

School vacation weeks aren't always the craziness that they used to be, as less and less schools have the entire week off (many just have the Monday off now, and some states, have the following week off, and lastly some people, who don't ski/ride too often a season, by the time they get to Tuesday, after having skied/ridden Sat-Monday, need a day off.

Will it likley be like a busy Saturday next Tuesday? Nope. Will it likely have some crowds of a manageable volume? Yes
Interesting thought - and may have some validity. After S, Su, Mo perhaps at least some of the people that are there for a week may want to take a break. But Edd's take on your comment also comes into play ;).

drjeff

Interesting thought - and may have some validity. After S, Su, Mo perhaps at least some of the people that are there for a week may want to take a break. But Edd's take on your comment also comes into play ;).
Edd has also said in the past that he's adverse to "crowds" which in his World I believe, is anything more than a 1 chair wait and/or having to ride a chair with anyone other than himself 😉🤣🎿

If I tried to only ski on days like that I would likely be limited only to pouring rain Wednesday's in Early December 😉

• Haha
Reactions: Edd

snoseek

If a place like Loon s filling all the seats then I'm not interested. Its not the liftline its the actual slope. This is why loon is a hard pass unless its a random Wednesday in which case yeah its a fun place. The next 2 weeks will be busy

thetrailboss

Staff member

And when was the last time you skied Loon?

JDMRoma

This is my 3rd year with the NE Pass, I have to ski weekends a lot. This year is very different from my first 2, seems like loon is always busy.
Friday/Saturday and Sunday usually sell out the day before if not sooner and usually by 9 am your parking at the Escape route parking. I get notifications
from the Loon app even when Im not there, this has been every weekend all season.
Monday through Thursday are usually Ok but I always avoid the gondi and kanc8 when I can.
Id prepare yourself for the worst, maybe you'll get lucky. Mass vacation weeks of the past have been shit shows, NH Vacation week not so bad.
My pass is blacked out the 17-19th and then again on the 24th so those will be the busiest

drjeff

Next 2 Weeks?
I believe it's Vermont and New Hampshire (maybe Maine too??) , they stagger their school Winter breaks so that they're the week after President's Week. Mass and NY have it President's Week. CT and RI now seem to have switched to where most schools don't have the full week off, but only have Monday or possibly Monday/Tuesday off now. Hence why midweek crowds the next 2 weeks in New Enlgand will likely be elevated

snoseek

Yeah most of nh is off that following week although it's probably not quite as bad. Loons bread and butter is mass. I bet its still running busy that week though.

jimmywilson69

I believe it's Vermont and New Hampshire (maybe Maine too??) , they stagger their school Winter breaks so that they're the week after President's Week. Mass and NY have it President's Week.
dammit... I didn't realize that. I scheduled a week in VT the week after presidents week to avoid the presidents week crowd... 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️