• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Loon South Peak Expansion

Zand

I don't think this will have much of an effect on crowding yet. When they finally build up the base area at south, that will bring more crowds for sure. This seems to be a similar size to the Seven Brothers area so pretty much just something to tie that parking lot in more than anything.

South Peak is the best kept secret in New England as far as base areas go. Usually can park within feet of the lift with access to nice uninterrupted 1500 vert cruisers as opposed to the main base which is generally a giant shitshow. It will be sad when they finally truly build it up and more people start going over there.

machski

This is likely just the first half of the South Peak learning pod they have been sitting on for a decade now. The entire buildout plans have a second quad going lower more towards the base of Lincoln Express for added low grade learning terrain and the associated base lodge infrastructure to anchor their ski school and public access point.
It will also be interesting to see if RiverWalk resort resurrects it's plan to drop a pulse gondola across the river connecting itself to the base of the Escape Route pod again. That lift had actually been on order 6 years ago or so along with both Escape Quads and then it all got shelved.

deadheadskier

Staff member
If crowds on South do pick up a bit, I wonder if they add more trails? Seems like they have tons of undeveloped acreage to work with between Jobber and Boom Run and then Ripsaw and Cruiser on the other side.

thebigo

South is one of the best cruiser pods in the east but this decision is just odd. If this is really aimed at beginners, they need a full service lodge over there. Not to mention that loading conveyers absolutely suck with kids. Guessing this is the first step, an enclosed lift across the river to some on mountain dining facility would print money year round.

mbedle

South is one of the best cruiser pods in the east but this decision is just odd. If this is really aimed at beginners, they need a full service lodge over there. Not to mention that loading conveyers absolutely suck with kids. Guessing this is the first step, an enclosed lift across the river to some on mountain dining facility would print money year round.
The plan is the build facilities over there to support a new learning area.

2Planker

Only took them 10 years to figure it out.

Boyne is just trying to make some $$$ in the summer months.
Shawnee (aka Pleasant) was told "there are summer plans in the near future"
Course they've done very little w/ SR & Loaf. Sure they have golf,
But there is so much more potential for summer activities that Boyne has missed

raisingarizona

The article hints at connecting the ski area with Lincoln. I think that’s pretty cool and in theory should bring more tourist dollars into the community and cut down on vehicle traffic to the ski area.

I know Waterville plans to do that. It seems like a no brainer to me.

Smellytele

The article hints at connecting the ski area with Lincoln. I think that’s pretty cool and in theory should bring more tourist dollars into the community and cut down on vehicle traffic to the ski area.

I know Waterville plans to do that. It seems like a no brainer to me.
That was the talk in connecting to Riverwalk someone mentioned above.

Newpylong

Only took them 10 years to figure it out.

Boyne is just trying to make some $$$ in the summer months.
Shawnee (aka Pleasant) was told "there are summer plans in the near future"
Course they've done very little w/ SR & Loaf. Sure they have golf,
But there is so much more potential for summer activities that Boyne has missed

This will have little effect on summer activities or additional revenues - this is geared entirely for winter operations and the addition of terrain on a pod with plenty of buildable acreage. If they can connect with Lincoln eventually that may change things, but you'd be looking at a signature chair between South and the Main Mountain to make that happen.

mbedle

They might want to rethink the bridge over the river. Might be a little crowded once people start walking there from town.

IceEidolon

Have they said who they're going with for automated snowmaking yet? I heard it's fans, which tends to suggest Demac or Techno?

machski

Have they said who they're going with for automated snowmaking yet? I heard it's fans, which tends to suggest Demac or Techno?
SR went with SMI for the automated fans on lower Spruce this summer and Loaf is doing the same on lower comp hill I believe. Unsure of Loon's plans, but in the East Boyne has been mostly SMI for fans and HKD for everything else. I know SR tested the fully auto Klik Hydrants in Barker Basin a few years back. Don't think they have stuck with those however.

Zand

Never skied that glade. Any good? I'm generally not in favor of giving up gladed terrain for trails. Guessing it's not reliably open? Maybe that's behind the thought process of cutting a trail through it.
By Loon standards it's a good long glade, but yeah South Peak is tough for good natural. Need more glades on North Peak.