• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Loon's grooming capabilities?

Bumpsis

Question for frequent Loon skiers/riders: How well does the Loon grooming crew deal with surface like today (Thursday 1/26) which is soft now due to wet ppt that they got but will be freezing up this afternoon and overnight?

I'm trying to make the decision if I should be there tomorrow. I don't mind firm, which what the surface will be, just wondering if the grooming crew can deliver edgeable surface. I know for a fact that Sunday River and Sugarloaf grooming crews can transform a harsh, frozen surface into a fairly decent cover. I just haven't had that much experience with skiing Loon.

2Planker

Can't groom anything today. Needs to set up tonight, then it should groom out OK.

If they don't groom tonite it might be a lil teeth chattering in the morning, to say the least....

KustyTheKlown

you'll like what you get at loon, they are fucking snowmaking grooming pros. they were skiing on more terrain than anyone else thru this cursed december january

doublediamond

Loon is reporting that nearly everything — green to double black — was groomed last night.

thebigo

surprised at the responses, I am a big midweek loon fan, snowmaking is up there with the best in the east but their one weakness is recovering from freeze/thaw, not sure how to describe it other than a shallow groom? - was planning to ski loon tomorrow, going to work and ski monday instead

should be fun with a sharp 3 degree pair of gs skis tomorrow

drjeff

Depends on when the freeze up happens. Gotta let it set, then wait a few hours. Then groom

Bumpsis

Thanks for all the responses - very helpful. A day trip to Loon is on the outer edge of my day-tripping range (300 mile round trip for me) so it's important what possible conditions I'm about to encounter. It's great to be a part of a well informed and dedicated group of snow crazies.

Reactions: Edd

machski

Loon is reporting that nearly everything — green to double black — was groomed last night.
Well, they only have one official Double Black (Ripsaw) and pretty much groom it every night. Loon's one weakness is that they groom almost every trail flat every day. Occasional small xones of seeded bumps and if Tripke Trouble is open, that is left natural as it is the only non snowmaking actual trail.

Bumpsis

Well, they only have one official Double Black (Ripsaw) and pretty much groom it every night. Loon's one weakness is that they groom almost every trail flat every day. Occasional small xones of seeded bumps and if Tripke Trouble is open, that is left natural as it is the only non snowmaking actual trail.
I haven't skied there often enough to know for sure, but from lift conversations it sounded that when they get enough natural snow, they also let Angel Street stay bumped up. Rolling Bear - the short connecting run to the North Peak Quad also stays bumped up. I was there just this past Tuesday, which apparently was one of Loon's best days. Bumps were present on the mentioned trails.

machski

I haven't skied there often enough to know for sure, but from lift conversations it sounded that when they get enough natural snow, they also let Angel Street stay bumped up. Rolling Bear - the short connecting run to the North Peak Quad also stays bumped up. I was there just this past Tuesday, which apparently was one of Loon's best days. Bumps were present on the mentioned trails.
They do as you said at times. But they will knock all those flat, almost a guarantee after this past storm. East Basin runs have the best chance of staying ungroomed (I toss Rolling Bear in with that since it drops to East Basin).

skef

I skied Loon Tuesday, after the previous dump. They’d left the core east basin trails ungroomed, but groomed everything on South Peak, including Ripsaw. Ripsaw was a complete snooze. Twitcher was a little better (it’s not as steep at its steepest, but steep for longer, if that makes sense). The ungroomed east basin, and Angel Street in particular, was just great. I think they’re pretty smart about what they groom. After a wet event, they might have to groom everything. When the snow’s drier and deeper, they seem to back off a bit. I think Ripsaw needs a really deep dump for them to hold off grooming.

Last edited: