• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mad River Valley Ski house membership available

jwt

1 or 2 memberships available for 24/7 access Nov 15- April 15 ( or close of mt) (except 12/24-1/2)

1 mile to North , 4 to south, 4 to MRG.

late 30's to 50's skiers/riders, 5 bedroom/3 bath house - hot tub, fire places, sleeps 15-18

$1400 per for season - guest fees pay for utilities/cleaning so generally no additional out of pocket expense.

singles, couples, most ski 8-4, good cooks for those that eat in, some are out every weekend, most members come 2x per month.

pm me for details if interested.

jwt

Ski house share costs

Wow prices have gone way up in the last 20 years. use to pay 350 in Jackson, NH for a 5 bd 2 bath house.

average for the valley here - back in the day 20 years ago- we used to pay $700 each but never $350 - lift tickets used to be $40 as well.

Maybe it has something to do with average snowfall - we get about 100+" more than Mt Washington Valley ski resorts - and far less people. That price also usually reflects total cost as guest fees generally cover hot tub maint. firewood, plowing, electric and propane. One week at house alone more than covers annual fee.

either way inflation is rampant no matter where you go unless talking about petrol.

yeggous

average for the valley here - back in the day 20 years ago- we used to pay $700 each but never $350 - lift tickets used to be $40 as well.

Maybe it has something to do with average snowfall - we get about 100+" more than Mt Washington Valley ski resorts - and far less people. That price also usually reflects total cost as guest fees generally cover hot tub maint. firewood, plowing, electric and propane. One week at house alone more than covers annual fee.

either way inflation is rampant no matter where you go unless talking about petrol.

My eyes just rolled back in my head.

The MWV is much more affordable overall compared to the MRV. The MWV is also a lot more developed and peak season is summer, not winter like the MRV. That is the crux of the difference. Go visit both towns next weekend and you will quickly see what I mean.

As for snow... I know I've talked about this before. Hype aside, which location gets more snow depends where and how you measure. Cranmore vs Sugarbush is not a fair comparison for the MWV. By elevation the base of Tuckerman's Ravine vs Sugarbush summit is more comparable, but that also would not be fair to the MRV. Either side can cherry pick it's stats.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

Jully

Wildcat vs Sugarbush is certainly not 100" difference haha. Sugarbush definitely gets more snow, but not 8.5 feet more.

cdskier

Wildcat vs Sugarbush is certainly not 100" difference haha. Sugarbush definitely gets more snow, but not 8.5 feet more.

The "official" difference (based on what the resorts themselves report as their 10 year average) is about 60". Agreed that it is certainly not 100.

Looking back at some numbers from the past 10 years or so, there were a couple years that Sugarbush had over 100" more than Wildcat, but then there were also years the difference was <20" and I even see one year where Wildcat had 1" more than Sugarbush.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Since moving to NH 7 years ago I've skied Wildcat more than anywhere else. I'm a big homer, but having lived in Northern VT for about a decade it's pretty easy for me to admit that the natural snow difference in VT is significantly better from Killington north than Wildcat. Wildcat doesn't really get nearly as much of the un-forecasted 6-8" upslope events that the Northern Greens do.

Even if the average difference is only 5 feet, that difference is significant. It's basically 30% (at minimum) more snow on ski areas with much greater acreage.

That said, Wildcat does very well with what they get and there are many virtues to the mountain that i enjoy better than skiing in VT. Character, views, no crowds and IMO one of the two best lifts in New England (Forerunner at Stowe being the other) makes for a highly enjoyable skiing experience.

Jully

The "official" difference (based on what the resorts themselves report as their 10 year average) is about 60". Agreed that it is certainly not 100.

Looking back at some numbers from the past 10 years or so, there were a couple years that Sugarbush had over 100" more than Wildcat, but then there were also years the difference was <20" and I even see one year where Wildcat had 1" more than Sugarbush.

Yeah I would have guessed 50", but an average of 60" definitely seems about right.

Oh yeah, the Greens definitely get more snow and it makes a huge difference, just debating the 100" mark.

machski

I have no doubt Sugarbush has received more than 100 inches more than Wildcat in high outlier years. I recall one December where it snowed for almost a week straight on Sugarbush from an up slope event that even on 89 got next to nothing (nor did ANY resort in NH get much). That said, I am talking outliers, not the standard or average.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm guessing the years Wildcat comes close is when we have winters with a lot of Noreasters. Those years Cat, Sugarloaf and Saddleback come close to their Northern VT competition.

cdskier

I have no doubt Sugarbush has received more than 100 inches more than Wildcat in high outlier years. I recall one December where it snowed for almost a week straight on Sugarbush from an up slope event that even on 89 got next to nothing (nor did ANY resort in NH get much). That said, I am talking outliers, not the standard or average.

I have data for 9 years (this is based on what the resorts reported on their snow reports near the end of each season). I stopped tracking after 2013 (mostly because I just forgot to look up the numbers near the end of the season).

2005 Snow20062007200820092010201120122013
Wildcat219204207220170168222107214
Sugarbush218194314287285185305161279
Wildcat +1Wildcat +10SB +107SB +67SB +115SB +17SB +83SB +54SB +69

I don't remember any specifics about what kind of winters these were and where the storms went though...

jwt

I have data for 9 years (this is based on what the resorts reported on their snow reports near the end of each season). I stopped tracking after 2013 (mostly because I just forgot to look up the numbers near the end of the season).

2005 Snow20062007200820092010201120122013
Wildcat219204207220170168222107214
Sugarbush218194314287285185305161279
Wildcat +1Wildcat +10SB +107SB +67SB +115SB +17SB +83SB +54SB +69

I don't remember any specifics about what kind of winters these were and where the storms went though...

'Bush ( unlike some competitors) under-reports if anything, but we in the valley are more than happy as it is, we're a bit selfish when it comes to the goods.

As for MWV - best place in NE, spend all my summers in the hills,spring in Kings and Ammo Ravines, just not enough resorts with terrain off piste and
no lake effect that only Jay/Bush and MRG/Stowe seem to benefit from - and there is that upslope. . ... oooooooh yeah.

I'll be tarred and feathered for even posting this much - trust me - it sucks here and ANYWHERE south and east of here is much much better, honest.