• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Madoff Pleads Guilty; Judge Orders Him Jailed Immediately

I need to find an article that explains this whole thing..so the 65 billion just dissapeared??? Was he dumb enough to buy AIG stock..lol

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I need to find an article that explains this whole thing..so the 65 billion just dissapeared??? Was he dumb enough to buy AIG stock..lol

In it's simplest form, he didn't invest in anything. He just moved other peoples money around and brought in new investors to satisfy withdrawals. And took ahuge amount for himself.

In it's simplest form, he didn't invest in anything. He just moved other peoples money around and brought in new investors to satisfy withdrawals. And took ahuge amount for himself.

I real how it was a pyramid scheme..anyway I hope Madoff is gang-raped..actually even prisoners have standards..:razz:

For all the people who lost their life savings to Madoff..is there any way they will get any of it back??

tekweezle

probably not. the profits were fictitious-they were made up and didn;t exist. the hard work will be to "clawback" the profits and reimburse everyone back to where they before they got involved. very small consolation, the irs has to give refunds for the taxes that were paid on these phantom profits.

some people who were direct investors are covered by SIPC insurance up to 500,000 which is a drop in the bucket. however, most of the money came from feeder funds so no coverage.

those feeder funds including funds and big banks will be sued in civil court though for not doing their due diligence. there is a move to get everyone to spread the pain-basically they want someone to be liable who has deep pockets...like the US government.

so don;t feel sorry for the Madoff family. even the ones not directly involved were able to live a fantasy life on other people's money. and don;t feel sorry for the greedy ones who knew Madoff was doing something shady and still gave their money to him.