• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Manny being Manny-roid!

drjeff

:eek:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/baseball/mlb/05/07/manny/index.html?cnn=yes

"Ramirez tests positive, suspended 50 games by MLB Story Highlights
Manny Ramirez tested positive for a performance-enhancing drug
Major League Baseball banned him for 50 games, effective immediately
A source said the drug was not a steroid, but clearly a banned substance

By Tom Verducci, SI.com

Manny Ramirez is the first major star to be suspended under baseball's stricter drug-testing rules that went into effect in 2003.
Tim DeFrisco/SI

Ramirez releases statement
Statement from Manny Ramirez on 50-game suspension for drug violation released by Major League Baseball Players Association on Thursday:

Recently I saw a physician for a personal health issue. He gave me a medication, not a steroid, which he thought was OK to give me. Unfortunately, the medication was banned under our drug policy. Under the policy that mistake is now my responsibility. I have been advised not to say anything more for now. I do want to say one other thing; I've taken and passed about 15 drug tests over the past five seasons.

I want to apologize to Mr. McCourt, Mrs. McCourt, Mr. Torre, my teammates, the Dodger organization, and to the Dodger fans. LA is a special place to me and I know everybody is disappointed. So am I. I'm sorry about this whole situation.

Los Angeles Dodgers slugger Manny Ramirez tested positive for a banned performance-enhancing substance, incurring an immediate 50-game suspension and serving as the highest-profile reminder yet that the use of such drugs in the testing era may have been reduced, but not eradicated.

Major League Baseball plans to announce the suspension, which begins with the Dodgers home game against the Nationals today, barring any postponements -- later this afternoon.

Ramriez will be able to return to the Dodgers -- who currently have the best record in baseball -- on July 3. He will lose about $7.65 million of his $25 million salary.

Ramirez, a baseball source told SI.com, explained to baseball officials he was uncertain he was taking a banned substance and may have had a medical reason for using the substance. After consultation with the Major League Baseball Players Association and his representatives, Ramirez has decided not to challenge the suspension, according to an MLBPA statement.

The source said the substance was not classified as a steroid but was clearly defined as a banned performance enhancer according to the drug agreement between baseball and its players association. Banned substances can only be taken with prior knowledge and medical clearance from baseball's drug-program administrators. Such exceptions are known as Therapeutic Use Exemptions, or TUEs. The suspension is an indication Ramirez did not have a TUE for the substance.

Ramirez said in a statement released by the MLBPA: "Recently I saw a physician for a personal health issue. He gave me a medication, not a steroid, which he thought was OK to give me. Unfortunately, the medication was banned under our drug policy. Under the policy that mistake is now my responsibility. I have been advised not to say anything more for now. I do want to say one other thing; I've taken and passed about 15 drug tests over the past five seasons."

Ramirez is the first major star to be suspended under baseball's stricter drug-testing rules that went into effect in 2003. Until now, baseball and the players union have portrayed drug use as having been nearly eradicated in the past few years, pointing out that the major drug-related stories -- involving Roger Clemens, Alex Rodriguez and the revelations in the Mitchell Report -- involved drug use prior to the 2003 tightening of the program.

Ramirez is the third player suspended this year under the new rules, following Philadelphia reliever J.C. Romero and Yankees pitcher Sergio Mitre. Last year, just two players were suspended under the program: Giants catcher Elizier Alfonzo and Rockies catcher Humberto Coto.

Ramirez ranks 17th on the all-time home-run list with 533. Eight of those top 17 home run hitters played in what is commonly referred to as the Steroid Era. And six of those eight modern-day sluggers have been associated with performance-enhancing drugs: Barry Bonds, Sammy Sosa, Mark McGwire, Rafael Palmeiro, Rodriguez and Ramirez. The only modern sluggers to have escaped such a connection are Ken Griffey Jr., Frank Thomas and Jim Thome."

:eek:

Mildcat

They're saying on EEI that it was a woman's fertility drug that athletes use as a masking agent.

Was Ski9 for or against steroids??? Anyway they should just legalize steroids to level the playing field..just kidding...at least he's not going to jail like the Olympic sprinter..

ComeBackMudPuddles

FINALLY CAUGHT!!

Big Papi is next!

I knew the Sox couldn't "break the curse" without 'roids.....

It's a beautiful day!!

:beer:

:)

:flag:

Dr Skimeister

SportsCenter, which was playing while I was just at the gym, reports that he was found to be taking Human Chorionic Hormone (HCG). It's thought to be used to ease the "come down" after prolonged used of anabolic steroids. It is also known to be useful in restoring the decreased sperm count that is known to accompany steroid use.

TheBEast

What I don't get is this really worth the risk and then the tarnish this puts on you as a player? Not to mention to toll I'm sure it takes on your body......glad to Sox don't have to deal with that. I'm sure Theo was getting a few "atta boys" today!

ComeBackMudPuddles

What I don't get is this really worth the risk and then the tarnish this puts on you as a player?

below x 25 million (not to mention the $160 million boston paid)? i think some people think so....

istockphoto_5587820-us-dollar-sign.jpg