• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Marmot Aeolos 2P

salida

Website
ecampus.bentley.edu
I own a Marmot Tent, and have spent week long overnights on vicious expeditions in both the Marmot Swallow and NXY, both are awesome tents. The Swallow is a little more bomber and borders on a 4 season tent. The NXY is an awesome 3 seasoner and would be what I would recommend. The Aeoles, because of its design that pushes up the top, has a tendency to collect water (SOMETHING YOU DONT WANT). I'm not sure I would recommend this tent, get the NXY instead. Whatever you do, I would definitely buy a Marmot. It is the only line of tents I would stand by under any conditions, I have seen other brands (ems, north face, seirra design, eureka) melt in conditions, that made our Marmot tents thrive!

Etruscan

salida said:
I own a Marmot Tent, and have spent week long overnights on vicious expeditions in both the Marmot Swallow and NXY, both are awesome tents.

I was actually looking at the Nyx as a second choice... but the Aeolos has more room, an added door, and an added pole. It appears to have a fairly aggressive dome so I'm not sure where you saw or heard about the water collection problem, but it is a tad heavy at 5.6lbs. That's what's forcing me to look at the Nyx. I'm just wondering if the Nyx would fit my 6'3" height, and if it will withstand a small amount of snow.

I don't plan on pitching either of these at altitude in the winter, but more likely in a tree-covered base camp scenario.

salida

Website
ecampus.bentley.edu
I've had one over night in the Aeolos, and the dome part, no matter how tight we stretched the tent, still collected water.... The NYX is fairly tall, however, I don't know if you'll be able to sit totally upright (max interoior height is 40 inches...)

best porter

Etruscan

salida said:
I've had one over night in the Aeolos, and the dome part, no matter how tight we stretched the tent, still collected water.... The NYX is fairly tall, however, I don't know if you'll be able to sit totally upright (max interoior height is 40 inches...)
I think the Aeolos is the same... 40" at the peak... so you may have convinced me. I like the weight savings of the Nyx, love the bent knee poles, and the color, and I haven't been disappointed by any of my Marmot equipment. I'm a little worried it might be a tad tighter inside, considering my height.

Etruscan

salida said:
My buddy at 6'1 doesn't seem to have a probelm... Whatever you do GO MARMOT, their tents are awesome (as is the rest of their gear).

best porter

Yeah I have my sights set pretty securely on Marmot. I found a few great shots of the interior and exterior of the Nyx. I'm looking for something similar on the Aeolos. The two sound very similar. I'm taking what you said into consideration (about the rain collection on the Aeolos), but also the increased size, strength, and doors of the Aeolos over the Nyx and trying to judge from that.

Etruscan

Oh, and is 5 lbs 12 oz a little heavy for a backpacking tent? I have a hard time judging unless I see it (which is impossible to do without ordering it). I may try finding another 5 lb tent and see if I can compare that way.