• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mass Shooting in Lewiston, ME

thetrailboss

Staff member

BodeMiller1

Nice to see it was a rogue soldier and not a fanatic.

Drudge had to knock the body and shot count down.

Not Good

deadheadskier

Staff member
So many failures in this sad situation.

How the hell does someone spend two weeks in a mental health facility only a couple of months ago because they wanted to commit mass murder and still have the right to own guns immediately after? I believe they were legally possessed.

This one hits close to home

For those who don't know, I sell Anesthesia machines and Cardiac Monitors for a living. Every single OR at both CMMC and St Mary's has our Anesthesia product and every single patient room at St Mary's has our monitors. My clinician relationships number in the dozens across both facilities. On Wednesday night, St Mary's had to darken the entire hospital for a couple of hours because they thought the shooter was in the parking lot. Think of the fear the patients and workers had to live through. CMMC is the local trauma center. 8 out of the 11 main ORs were used to treat gunshot victims. These clinicians have likely treated gunshot victims before, but not in such great numbers all at once.

So many people dead, hurt or emotionally scarred forever because we as a society can't figure out how to prevent sick people from harming others even with a virtual billboard warning us danger was imminent.

And as much as I respect law enforcement and how hard their jobs are in situations like these, they have a lot of explaining to do as to why it took so long to find the suspect and end this. The shooter was found only a half mile from his getaway vehicle. Why wasn't that area searched more intensely to start? Why did they go back to his house miles away twice? I'd like to hear their explanation and I'm sure all of the locals living through a 48 hour lockdown want to know why even more so.

Hopefully we learn from this to prevent more carnage in the future, but if history is any indicator, we won't.

So sad and frustrating

Edd

I’m not inclined to criticize about the manhunt details but I’m curious about Maine’s yellow flag laws and how they work. Was law enforcement in Maine notified about his mental health situation? If so, did they consider confiscating his guns? I believe he was treated in New York state so there may have been a systemic disconnect that failed the victims.

Edd

I’m not inclined to criticize about the manhunt details but I’m curious about Maine’s yellow flag laws and how they work. Was law enforcement in Maine notified about his mental health situation? If so, did they consider confiscating his guns? I believe he was treated in New York state so there may have been a systemic disconnect that failed the victims.
They were notified but never located him over a few weeks.

BodeMiller1

You have the normal insane, it's a given. Now, you have the crazy from drug use. And starring most of all, the first set overlapping the second. There are thousands of folks on psych drugs in Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine. Keeping track of all of them is like herding cats. It only takes one to slip through the cracks.