• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

McCauley Mountain, 28" and Counting

Cornhead

McCauley Mountain, 28" and Counting

Damn, must've eaten some bad food at Christmas. I'd be there today, but had to work to not lose Holiday pay. Tomorrow will be epic, can't wait.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using AlpineZone mobile app
f53b225ffac9f103090010337898950d.jpg

Last edited:

JimG.

Staff member
Crap!

Corn asked me about McCauley for tomorrow but I said I had other things to take care of.

Now I'm trying to get all that done today although that is unlikely. Hope I can make it but not optimistic.

Cornhead

Do your best Jim, you'll regret not making it if you don't. Be aware exorbitant Holiday rate of $30.[emoji16]

Kleetus

I was there today and it was epic. 28" was a totally legitimate number. It felt like it was bottomless at times.

Top 10 day for me. 20171226_095751.jpg

Cornhead

looking Sweetttttttttttttttttttttttttttt!!!!!!!!!!
Hopefully we'll get to slay pow together soon Scott. Just an incredible day, at an incredible little mountain, it may be my favorite...when it gets the goods. Amazing terrain for 600ft, it skis much bigger. The woods are fantastic too.
be28016c6b06f5dee282aefca14813dd.jpg
f5ff6a3cad260b98af59d27b6b30528a.jpg
43be2d4066539ec8ce6c3799a407826f.jpg

Kleetus

Hopefully we'll get to slay pow together soon Scott. Just an incredible day, at an incredible little mountain, it may be my favorite...when it gets the goods. Amazing terrain for 600ft, it skis much bigger. The woods are fantastic too.
be28016c6b06f5dee282aefca14813dd.jpg
f5ff6a3cad260b98af59d27b6b30528a.jpg
43be2d4066539ec8ce6c3799a407826f.jpg

Glad you were able to get after it. Some of the best woods anywhere, so many great lines and rocks to launch off.

Sent from my SM-G892A using AlpineZone mobile app

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
????? How to predict these Jackpots a few days ahead? Seems it's primarily wind direction. Some of the Aviation web sites are pretty good with wind direction a few days out .I'm assuming that drawing a line from the West end of lake Erie directly toward McCauley would work ? I haven't gone back yet to look a the wind directions yet but has anyone noted the Bingo direction?
Also with it as cold as it is how soon does the lake ice over and shut off the machine?
Someday .....:):)

benski

The NWS issues a general warning, then you check radar the night before and snow reports and webcams after leaving to make sure. I believe cornhead has changed plans meanwhile driving before to hit the rite area. Snow ridge and McCaulet are not far from each other.

Kleetus

The NWS issues a general warning, then you check radar the night before and snow reports and webcams after leaving to make sure. I believe cornhead has changed plans meanwhile driving before to hit the rite area. Snow ridge and McCaulet are not far from each other.

Very much this. Have to monitor the radar and make sure the band ends up where it was forecast as the wind is the driving factor. If the wind forecast is off by a degree or two direction wise can make a huge difference in snow totals. Then check webcam's in the AM before you go to verify.

For McCauley, a good one to use is http://www.ccmoldforge.com/Old-Forge-Web-Camera.html. It has a snow stake and is located close to McCauley. Normally a good indicator of how much snow McCauley got.

cdskier

????? How to predict these Jackpots a few days ahead? Seems it's primarily wind direction. Some of the Aviation web sites are pretty good with wind direction a few days out .I'm assuming that drawing a line from the West end of lake Erie directly toward McCauley would work ? I haven't gone back yet to look a the wind directions yet but has anyone noted the Bingo direction?
Also with it as cold as it is how soon does the lake ice over and shut off the machine?
Someday .....:):)

For McCauley, wouldn't Lake Ontario be the lake generating the lake effect snow? Snow from Erie would have to travel quite a distance to get to McCauley.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
For McCauley, wouldn't Lake Ontario be the lake generating the lake effect snow? Snow from Erie would have to travel quite a distance to get to McCauley.

You are correct,pardon my geography fail.

Snowridge had a National Weather Service forecast on their website that was calling for 36 to 50 inches. I would say they underperformed on that one.Those guys definitely are not perfect with their forecast. I guess I have to go back and look at the position of the high-pressure system to find my answer .

I have a friend that lives not far from elk Mountain PA last December they got 30 inches of “flurries”. I timed that one just right by accident. National Weather Service blew that one completely.

Cornhead

Yes, LES bands are very localized, all depends where they set up. You can have 3ft, 10 miles away zilch. Last year I drove through a foot on the road surface for miles only to see corn stalks when I got to Turin.

Not only are McCauley's lift ticket prices incredibly low, check out their shop prices. My buddy dropped a pair of skis off in the morning, picked them up after he was done skiing. The place is what skiing was, and should be, can't gush about it enough.

I walked in the lodge and thought the bar was gone, nope moved it to the other side of the room. Opened things up nicely.
0aa1095875598405746a2dd1fd229f16.jpg
f4397a8957f5f48c16ad7ef03589554b.jpg

cdskier

You are correct,pardon my geography fail.

Snowridge had a National Weather Service forecast on their website that was calling for 36 to 50 inches. I would say they underperformed on that one.Those guys definitely are not perfect with their forecast. I guess I have to go back and look at the position of the high-pressure system to find my answer .

I have a friend that lives not far from elk Mountain PA last December they got 30 inches of “flurries”. I timed that one just right by accident. National Weather Service blew that one completely.

Yea...Lake effect is fun to predict. Sometimes even just a few miles down the road one way or another can make a big difference in snowfall amounts. I lived in an area prone to lake effect snow for 4 years (Rochester, NY - although they don't get anywhere near as much as areas further east) and it was always fascinating seeing the differences as you drove around.

Also to answer your earlier question about the lake freezing over and the lake effect shutting off...Lake Ontario almost never freezes over as it is too deep. Lake Erie on the other hand often freezes over. Areas like Buffalo tend to get a lot of lake effect off Erie early in the winter but then it slows down drastically as the lake begins to freeze. Areas that get lake effect from Ontario though can get it all winter...but as the waters cool down the amounts tend to drop off from what I remember. It pretty much never shuts off completely though for that lake.