• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

MLB Postseason Predictions

teachski

Website
teachski.com
I'm watching the game as I sit at my computer getting some work done...The Sox scored 2 in the first inning and Damon just hit a GRAND SLAM and the score is not 6 to nothing in the 2nd. :beer:

Poor, Poor, Yankees :lol:

Zand

Oh man, Red Sox are blwing away the Yankees in Game 7 and it's snowing still. What's better?

skijay

I am listening to the game on XM radio currently. I do not have a TV in my computer room but I have my XM SkyFi boombox in here so I am tuned to ESPN Radio, channel 140.

teachski

Website
teachski.com
10 to 3 bottom of the 9th, Red Sox winning!

It's about time someone put the Yanks in their place!

Hold the lead Sox, you can do it!

N

NH_Mtn_Hiker

Yankee Fans: Whose YOUR Daddy? :lol:
10-3 Final :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

MtnMagic

How exciting, the evil empire collasped ignominiously!
:D

SilentCal

Truly outstanding baseball !! Gee I wonder what shirt I'll wear tonight :roll: (think Flags) I wonder where Steinbrenner was. Usually he always has his mug on TV watching the game. Maybe he was watching Return of the Jedi in his clubhouse!!!! :roll:

Alpinista

Website
www.suite101.com
Why would Fox comply? It's not YES (the Yankees network) that carried the games, and the Yankees, as far as I can tell, wouldn't have a say in which network carried the games -- that's up to Major League Baseball.

And Fox would certainly want a great color shot from the game, and The Boss is it. They managed to grab some very expressive shots of Brian Cashman clearly miffed at the collapse.

Color me skeptical, but I can't imagine a TV broadcaster being willing to censor themselves. It's too good a story to pass up (yes, even this Yankees fan is saying that. See ... we're a realistic lot!)

ChileMass

Oh, man - I have been out here in San Jose all week without a network connection (how's that possible in Silicon Valley?) till just now - I am LOVING all you Sox fans!!!!!!!

They won - they won - they won!!!!! I have been waiting for this since 1967 - to beat the Yankees!!!!!!!! 1978 is gone forever!

Bring on the Cards!!!!!!!!!

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
Well, my coworker's theory is that Steinbrenner can make their lives very difficult the next time Fox wants to place cameras to broadcast a game.

But it is true to a point ... we did not see a single shot of George during the entire game.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Your guess as to who the WS winner will be?

I have to have hope: Red Sox in a thriller game 7. :D

ChileMass

WORLD SERIES PREDICTION!!!

Sox have better starting pitching and bullpen. They have to keep the Cards big bats quiet (Pujols, Rolen, Walker, Edmonds, Sanders), and continue to hit. Manny coming out of his RBI drought will be key, but Damon and Bellhorn need to hit in front of him.

Wakefield wins Game 1 tonite because the Cards have not seen his knuckleball before. If Schilling's doctors get him in game shape tomorrow, he should cruise. Pedro can give us good starts and it shuold be a LOT warmer in St. Louis than here, but a road win will be tough. If Lowe stays hot, he could win easily in Game 4. But since the Sox lose the DH in St. Louis and must start Ortiz at 1st base, they lose some of their offense and defense out there. Sox lose 2 out of 3 on the road. Then they come back and win Game 6 at home with Schilling on the hill.

Sox in 6.

Jaytrek57

Statistically speaking, the Cardinals have better pitching (regular season). They just don’t have an ace(s). Missouri’s weather is a lot like Boston’s…I know I did basic training there at Ft. Leonard Wood.

I see the Red Sox perhaps wrapping this series up early. Momentum is huge in baseball and I would give that edge to the Sox.

The 2-3-2 format favors the team with the three. Larry Bird said this years ago when leagues switch over to it, and I agree.

I can’t wait!!

pedxing

I was just reflecting on the 1967 series with the Cardinals. As a little kid, I was totally wrapped up in the Sox. Any softball or catch game (we had one that involved taking turns bouncing a tennis ball against the side of a building while the others tried to catch it) would be full of people anouncing their actions as if the were one of the Sox ("and Rico gets it on a bounce and rifles it over to first").

Looking over the series, it makes it clear to me how important small details are and how one contest spills into the next. Bob Gibson was awesome as the ace for the Cardinals, pitching 3 complete games and giving up only 3 earned runs (for an ERA of 1.00). Lonborg was awesome in his first two appearances, winning both. The two met up in game 7, Gibson having pitched and won games 1 and 4, Lonborg having pitched and won games 2 and 5. Lonborg with 2 days rest was weak in game 7 (6 earned runs in 6 innings), while Gibson was strong (3 hits, 2 earned runs in a complete game) and the Sox went down hard in Fenway.

The Sox were in a tight pennant race, winning the pennant by one game and clinching on October 1st. If I remember right, the Sox used Lonborg that day because he was their ace and decided against pitching him on October 4, the first day of the series as he would get only 2 days rest. The Cardinals clinched their pennant long before the end of September, winning by about ten games - which allowed them to ensure that Gibson's arm was rested.

Gibson, became the 5th pitcher to win 3 games in a World Series. If the Sox Lonborg had been better rested for game 7, he might have acheived that instead. Only one pitcher has managed that feat since then.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/ws/yr1967ws.shtml

edit: I double checked, and indeed Lonborg pitched a complete game on October 1 against the Twins, allowing 3 runs, 2 earned in the game that clinched the pennant.