• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

More funding, gondola for Belleayre

legalskier

Gov. Cuomo announced today:
http://links.orda-ryansolutions.mkt...MTQwMjQ1ODU4ODE0S0&j=OTgzMTYxMzA3S0&mt=1&rt=0

"Upgrades at Belleayre Mountain include the construction of a high-speed, eight-person gondola that will span from the lower mountain Discovery Lodge to the mountain summit, providing more efficient, logical, and necessary access point to skiers and riders. The installation of this lift, along with other proposed changes, would overhaul the entire facility and elevate Belleayre to a higher level of resort experience. The new gondola will include 65 cabins that will transport guests to the summit in under six minutes, massively increasing the skier capacity of the mountain and providing for a better ski experience."

cdskier

You beat me to it. I just saw that and was about to come here and post it...A gondola seems a bit excessive for the Catskills, but I suppose it could be useful. I've been to Belleayre dozens of times, yet have never been below the base of the Super Chief chair. A gondola from the Discovery lodge could definitely help reduce crowds on Super Chief.

Last edited:

cdskier

Plus with that plan you will have more skiers whizzing through what is now solely a beginner area.

I think it depends on whether they leave all existing lifts or not. If they leave them all and just add a gondola, then I think some people would see the gondola as a benefit solely for reducing other lines. Personally I'd have no real use for going on the gondola as there's no point in me skiing to the bottom. I'd rather hop on Lift 7 or Super Chief as long as they exist and stick to the top 2/3 of the mountain.

catskills

If there going to build a Gondola why not go all the way from top of Cathedral Brook all the way into Pine Hill. That would bring the Belleayre vertical up to ~2000 feet with no run out and some serious expert runs. Now were talking. :smash::thumbup: Please can we get this for Christmas. Please :daffy:

tnt1234

that really makes no sense to me at all.

Yeah, belleayre beach to top of cathedral brook and develop catherdral glen trail into a new pod....

Hawkshot99

I have really started to hate gondolas. I hate taking my skis off, and standing in lines, carrying heavy skis, and them cramming way to many people in a cabin. After riding the Bluebird at Mt Snow, I love Bubble chairs though. All the benefits of a gondola without the negatives.

kingslug

This is the worst idea I can think of. The whole point of separating the lower from upper mountain is to keep the beginners in an area free from people going much faster. Plus if you want to increase the "experience" expand terrain not put more people on existing terrain. You rarely read about terrain expansion, its always upgrading facilities. I'm all for upgrading ( Hunter bathrooms) but there is a an abandoned area right next door that they could put a lift or 2 on, and for much less than a friggin gondola. And yes the bubble chair is the way to go. Okemo has the best one I ever sat in..damn near fell asleep in it, in 40 mph winds.

cdskier

This is the worst idea I can think of. The whole point of separating the lower from upper mountain is to keep the beginners in an area free from people going much faster. Plus if you want to increase the "experience" expand terrain not put more people on existing terrain. You rarely read about terrain expansion, its always upgrading facilities. I'm all for upgrading ( Hunter bathrooms) but there is a an abandoned area right next door that they could put a lift or 2 on, and for much less than a friggin gondola. And yes the bubble chair is the way to go. Okemo has the best one I ever sat in..damn near fell asleep in it, in 40 mph winds.

When I told my dad Belleayre announced a gondola the first thing he said is "why don't they expand terrain to the old Highmount ski area first?"

goldsbar

One of the worst business decisions I've ever heard! We'll, it is the government. The current setup is perfect; flat part of the mountain separated for beginners, steeper part for everyone else. Who needs a gondola in the Catskills, let alone Belleayre? The key weakness of the mountain right now is the west side of the mountain. The fixed grip quad is slowwww and it's an effort to make it over to that side. Too bad as one could argue Dot Nebel is their best/most consistent groomer and the natural trail under the lift has a couple of nice jumps when it's open.

Highmount would be nice if they fix the lift problem. Cathedral Brook would be great, but will probably never happen as they seem focused on Highmount.

BenedictGomez

The new gondola will include 65 cabins that will transport guests to the summit in under six minutes, massively increasing the skier capacity of the mountain and providing for a better ski experience."

Government logic = a good hard kick in your testicles will result in a better day.

drjeff

And people wonder why New York State is in the horserace to be the first US State to declare bankruptcy?

I think my home state of CT might just beat them to that distinction!!

Our governor wants to spend $250 million to renovate the Hartford Civic Center (now referred to these days as the XL Center) in an attempt to try and lure the NY Islanders away since the Barclay's Center doesn't want them anymore. This is on top of spending over 100 million to build a minor league baseball stadium in Hartford, that was supposed to be open for opening day in April 2016, but still isn't done!!! And we're looking at over a 3 BILLION dollar budget shortfall in the forthcoming next 2 year budget cycle, and in the past year plus, the GE has left CT for MA, and the writing is all over the wall that Aetna is likely to leave CT for another state soon as well!

CT might just win that horse race to the bottom with NY ;-)

Hawkshot99

Is that showing the gondola going from the discovery lift up to the top of Dot Nebel? Passing to the right of the mid mtn lodge?

That seems even worse. Why put a lift like that that you can not lap? Unless they would build a bridge or something over the entrance road for the mid mtn lodge to connect to the bottom.

Sent from my SM-G930F using AlpineZone mobile app