• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Most talked about ski area

dlague

Since I have been on this board IMO discussion about or around Jay Peak or Burke are most active threads. Not quite sure why sometimes. There are others that have burst like Killington. Probably stating the obvious.

jimk

I guess discussion is driven by the interests and origins of the most active posters. Plus, Jay and Burke have much drama in the last few years.
The website DCSki which was developed to serve skiers in Wash and Baltimore region has always had a lot of discussion about WV ski areas, particularly Timberline. Timberline draws far less skier numbers than many other busier and closer ski areas to Wash/Balt, but for some crazy reason a lot of folks from WV follow DCSki and post in forum there.

Jully

While obviously the more SVT resorts have way higher skier numbers, I feel the people who post to AZ are a more even distribution across the big mountain resorts of VT and NH. So Killington can be talked about just as much as Jay or Jay and Burke can be talked about way more of their members just happen to be more active.

drjeff

Magic gets a good deal of AZ discussion traffic for sure as well - sometimes for good reasons, more often than not for other reasons....

dlague

Magic gets a good deal of AZ discussion traffic for sure as well - sometimes for good reasons, more often than not for other reasons....

Sundown talk was at an all-time low this year. Only 18375 posts per day relating to sundown.

They need to open up another bump run called highway to he'll or something to get traffic on this forum going again.

machski

Well, I think a lot has to do with the trajectory that Jay was on (and many wondering how they were pulling it off). Aside from Stowe, it had the most new hotels/lodges/attractions built at any NE resort in a long time. Stowe's Spruce Village I will venture was in some ways expected, Stowe in most of my ski lifetime has been the leader in Luxury in the East. Burke has pasionate followers and was slated to get a bit of the Jay polishing. Then it all super novaed in, making from a huge conversation. Killington gets discussed a bit and I'm sure it will pick up with the summer growth there and the Slalom FIS return to New England in November. But for now, K is not making any big splash headlines. No resort in New England really is outside the Burke/Jay situation right now.

JimG.

Staff member
Well, I think a lot has to do with the trajectory that Jay was on (and many wondering how they were pulling it off). Aside from Stowe, it had the most new hotels/lodges/attractions built at any NE resort in a long time. Stowe's Spruce Village I will venture was in some ways expected, Stowe in most of my ski lifetime has been the leader in Luxury in the East. Burke has pasionate followers and was slated to get a bit of the Jay polishing. Then it all super novaed in, making from a huge conversation. Killington gets discussed a bit and I'm sure it will pick up with the summer growth there and the Slalom FIS return to New England in November. But for now, K is not making any big splash headlines. No resort in New England really is outside the Burke/Jay situation right now.

Nothing to talk about after the last snow at K so biggest train wreck wins.

steamboat1

Lots of places not talked about to much. In VT. we hear very little about places like Bromley, Stratton, Okemo or Bolton Valley & to some degree Pico.

In NH most of the talk is either about Cannon & Wildcat. Not to much talk about other areas.

jack97

They need to open up another bump run called highway to he'll or something to get traffic on this forum going again.

^^^ that is something I fantasize about. I probably dream more about that than getting a submission hold from Meisha Tate.

miesha-tate-ufc-196.jpg

loafer89

Sundown talk was at an all-time low this year. Only 18375 posts per day relating to sundown.

Ski Sundown had a really sort season, shorter than normal by about 6+weeks, that might be part of the reason. Bump skiing in March was ended early by the hot weather.

4aprice

I like the different factions. Every ski area has fans, not every skier is a fan of every ski area. I can think of several major ski areas with their posse's of "homers" on this board. Great source of info and some laughs as pounce on each other from time to time.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

abc

It's all about drama. What's there to talk about with regard to Okemo? Or even Mad River Glen, once everybody accepted there will be no snowboarders for the foreseeable future? Killington had pretty much cleaned up its act last couple of seasons. So it doesn't get all the hate posts no more.

Jay and Burke got talked about because it's got the biggest booboo. Magic comes second after that. (it WAS the most talked about until the Jay fiasco overtook that!

jimk

What's going on with Saddleback now? Is it done forever?

Never say never, but if something doesn't break on SBK in the next month or so I'd say they are toast for 2016-17 too. Shame, because I am among the many who think that place is beautiful. I still think it's too big and special to fail permanently, but it's looking like we need a 90 yard hail mary pass to get it back online anytime soon.

loafer89

Never say never, but if something doesn't break on SBK in the next month or so I'd say they are toast for 2016-17 too. Shame, because I am among the many who think that place is beautiful. I still think it's too big and special to fail permanently, but it's looking like we need a 90 yard hail mary pass to get it back online anytime soon.

Judging by how long it's already been since the Berry's gave up last July, I imagine prospective buyers might be having a hard time getting financing, since the mountains not been making money. The Berry family came into ownership with lot of money to spend. I don't think they spent it wisely, but that's another story.

gregnye

It's all about drama. What's there to talk about with regard to Okemo? Or even Mad River Glen, once everybody accepted there will be no snowboarders for the foreseeable future? Killington had pretty much cleaned up its act last couple of seasons. So it doesn't get all the hate posts no more.

Jay and Burke got talked about because it's got the biggest booboo. Magic comes second after that. (it WAS the most talked about until the Jay fiasco overtook that!

Not only drama, but also generally Killington, Cannon, Burke and Jay Peak and Sugarbush are the ones that get talked about simply because it's "cool" to do so on this forum. Don't believe me? Just start posting about Loon or Waterville Valley--the thread will immediately get hijacked about how much they suck! :lol: