• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow: Inside Track

njdiver85

The economic situation in Vermont was pretty bad before all this started. The longer VT discourages visitors and second homeowners from dumping money into their economy, the more people will go elsewhere to states more welcoming - both short term and longer term. Really surprised small businesses haven't pushed harder for a broader reopening.

chuckstah

The economic situation in Vermont was pretty bad before all this started. The longer VT discourages visitors and second homeowners from dumping money into their economy, the more people will go elsewhere to states more welcoming - both short term and longer term. Really surprised small businesses haven't pushed harder for a broader reopening.
That's how I feel. If VT doesn't want my business now, they won't get it later. I plan to spend the vast majority of my limited ski budget in my home state next season. No reason to plan VT trips knowing the state could close for outsider's at any time. There's plenty of skiing in NH for a full season.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using AlpineZone mobile app

Edd

With the exception of some rural counties in NY and NE, that 14 day quarantine is still in place. The bulk of the out of staters are still in places that VT says have to quarantine and probably wont meet the standards to not have to do that any time soon unless the state decides to change them

Visitors will simply go there and break the rules, I assume. Is it somehow being enforced?

deadheadskier

Staff member
To be fair, NH isn't all that much better than VT in welcoming visitors right now. My folks are looking to book a house on Winnipesaukee for a week in September. As of today, NH is still requesting visitors who enter the state to have self quarantined for 14 days before arrival. Despite me telling them that my observations visiting our marina on the lake the past couple of weekends suggests no one cares about that recommendation (tons of out of state plates around), my folks still won't book until that order is lifted.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

machski

To be fair, NH isn't all that much better than VT in welcoming visitors right now. My folks are looking to book a house on Winnipesaukee for a week in September. As of today, NH is still requesting visitors who enter the state to have self quarantined for 14 days before arrival. Despite me telling them that my observations visiting our marina on the lake the past couple of weekends suggests no one cares about that recommendation (tons of out of state plates around), my folks still won't book until that order is lifted.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app
In NH, it is only strongly recommended to Quarantine for 14. Same goes with wearing masks, strongly recommended but not actually mandated/ordered unlike both VT and Maine. Maine is actually a bit better for NH folks right now than VT. Maine is fully open for all residents of NH and VT right now. VT, the three most populous counties in NH and two in ME are still stuck with Quarantine order. How they plan to enforce a county by county restriction is beyond me.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

drjeff

I'd expect that the push to reopen, from the citizens of VT, will start to happen soon. Especially in the more rural, ski town areas, one has to remember that the residents (and small business owners) are fairly used to if not actually shutting down from a good chunk of April and May and into early June, then having a greatly diminished rate of business as ski season wound down until the Summer season gets going typically in mid/late June short of a little spike in business around Memorial Day weekend

cdskier

I'd expect that the push to reopen, from the citizens of VT, will start to happen soon. Especially in the more rural, ski town areas, one has to remember that the residents (and small business owners) are fairly used to if not actually shutting down from a good chunk of April and May and into early June, then having a greatly diminished rate of business as ski season wound down until the Summer season gets going typically in mid/late June short of a little spike in business around Memorial Day weekend

Article just this week from the Valley Reporter in the Mad River Valley about the impacts on one of the relatively popular local businesses:
https://www.valleyreporter.com/index.php/news/local-news/14639-mad-river-barn-seeks-a-path-forward

Last edited by a moderator:

JimG.

Staff member

This is an excellent point. I still have until mid-July before any deadlines hit home but we shall see.

njdiver85

I'd expect that the push to reopen, from the citizens of VT, will start to happen soon.

I'd say it's probably a bit too late. They should have started their push two weeks ago. Most public schools in NJ, for example, are out either this week or end of next. If the state of VT waits another two weeks before announcing a better plan, those families will have already made plans to visit a more welcoming state. People are itching to go somewhere, and likely view road trips as a much safer alternative to flying.

I bet if the VT politicians were told back in mid-March that they won't get a paycheck until things are open, we'd be a lot further along right now. Applies to all politicians obviously.

FBGM

I for one am just perplexed at how Mount Snow is going to be able to run with the firing of Ellia Hamilton and B Ryan (thug life name alert).

At least now rent will be cut down as their heads were so big they needed 2 offices each.

Yeah buddy - give me a lime for my corona.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I for one am just perplexed at how Mount Snow is going to be able to run with the firing of Ellia Hamilton and B Ryan (thug life name alert).

At least now rent will be cut down as their heads were so big they needed 2 offices each.

Yeah buddy - give me a lime for my corona.

Hey with the big names gone maybe your part-time lifty job there could become full-time! Or they'll upgrade you from magic carpet op to a chairlift bumper.

FBGM

Hey with the big names gone maybe your part-time lifty job there could become full-time! Or they'll upgrade you from magic carpet op to a chairlift bumper.

At least i would still be getting a paycheck...

Covid and Lime out!!!

Glenn

Their summit weather station is back online as of yesterday...so maybe some activity has resumed?

drjeff

Where did you hear about the firings?

Definitely been on a few social media accounts of those with ties to the industry over the last month or so. Can't remember if I've seen an official press release about it though

cdskier

Cobbold

At least for Elia it was officially announced...you even posted an article about it back when it happened! :grin:

Is this a good thing for Mt snow or bad thing? I hate to hear about people getting fired.