• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow: Thanksgiving Weekend

Glenn

Thanksgiving and Black Friday were very similar days temp and trail wise. Thanksgiving was a bit sunnier with little to no breeze. It was somewhat spring like both days with the temps and soft snow in spots. However, the sun was at a difference angle and not as strong as it is late in the season. So we'll call it more "Fall Skiing".

Canyon was open on the main face. It skied well with a few narrow spots. Carinthia had Mineshaft to the Gulch and Long John to the Gulch. Both skied well. Straight-lining the last half of Mineshaft was fun. They had some rails and booters setup at the base of the Gulch. You could take Long John down to the base. To get back to Carinthia, you had to take the Moover; free, running regulary. They opened the summit around noon Friday. It was a little narrow up top and got interesting if you threw in a few people.

We skipped Saturday which was a good move because the cold came early and everything firmed up.

Yesterday was nice. Firm in spots, but The entire length of Long John was open and Cascade had been widened.

They'll probably be blowing snow all this week with the cool temps in place. :fangun:

drjeff

My quick TR:

Friday - fun spring snow, getting a bit thin (both in width and depth) in places, appreciated the efforts of the mountain to push together enough snow by about noontime to get the summit open! The new brewed by Harpoon Mount Snow Beartrap Belgian Brown Ale up in the Station Taproom is REALLY good!! :beer:

Saturday - UGLY at 1st (flash freeze just a few hours before the scheduled 1st chair and minimal base to work with grooming wise isn't a good combo) - apparently got better with a massive snowmaking assault :fangun: as the day went on - my kids wanted to bail after just a few runs, so we were off the hill by mid morning

Sunday - SO much better than Saturday thanks to a major snowmaking effort for 24hrs :fangun: :fangun: :) A bit windy, but unlike some areas to the North where wind holds were an issue, the Bluebird was spinning all day

Monday - an inch of fresh + 48 hrs of snowmaking made for a sweet birthday present for me in the form of some really great conditions - pure carving bliss! :)

snosharkrider

"Monday - an inch of fresh + 48 hrs of snowmaking made for a sweet birthday present for me in the form of some really great conditions - pure carving bliss."

Perhaps it's my imagination but even a little fresh natural snow dramatically improves a mostly manmade surface. And...a skiing birthday is a mighty fine birthday.

ScottySkis

"Monday - an inch of fresh + 48 hrs of snowmaking made for a sweet birthday present for me in the form of some really great conditions - pure carving bliss."

Perhaps it's my imagination but even a little fresh natural snow dramatically improves a mostly manmade surface. And...a skiing birthday is a mighty fine birthday.

Glad you got a great birthday gift, and I agree any bit of natural helps.making skiing more fun.

vcunning

We were up through the 4-day weekend. Opening day (Thanksgiving) was purely awesome. My 13-year old son and I got in line at 7am knowing the lifts open at 8. Mountain Ops was kind enough to send us up early at 7:40 and we got perfect groomed runs in before the official opening.

After a few turns down Canyon to get my legs, I decided to light it up GS style. What really surprised me was that about half-way down, my 13-year old blew past me. He wasn't in a tuck, just carving the big turns. I guess that's what happens to almost 50-year olds.

drjeff

last i knew they wernt even open..are they getting any snow from this storm?

They opened up on Thanksgiving day.

They got about 1" on Sunday night, and just a few flurries apparently with no real accumulation of of today's storm.

More importantly now, they've got snowmaking temps!

vcunning

I was there sunday, found it kinda "meh"

All man-made (aka fan guns). Not a ton of trails open, but good depth on what was open. Sunday was fun skiing in 3 to 4 inches of fan gun powder.

This weekend should improve with the snowmaking temps that drjeff referenced.

Glenn

All man-made (aka fan guns). Not a ton of trails open, but good depth on what was open. Sunday was fun skiing in 3 to 4 inches of fan gun powder.

This weekend should improve with the:

HOTDOGS.jpg

Fixed!

ScottySkis

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

Sounds like great times, I think snow will be nice this weekend.