• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

mountain creek vs. blue mt. vs. camelback vs. shawnee

TyWebb

Another vote for Blue. Bucks county skier who never skied Mt Creek but Blue is much more fun and interesting compared to Camelback and Shawnee. I’d just pass on Sats for all 3 cause all of them can be a zoo if it’s a good ski day.

John9

I could tell you a lot of positive things about CB, but there is no point if your plan is to go there on your non VT weekends. Saturday is an absolute madhouse, no point in going if you want to actually ski, not stand in line and dodge people.

gladerider

Think i am going to check out Blue a couple of times to compare. Haven't been there in 15+ years.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

danimals

Ill chime in as Ive had a pass to each of these places in the past.

They all should be avoided on weekends. the crowds are insane. Ive seen 1hr + lines at blue just to buy tickets (usually right after a storm) but the place gets downright dangerous on weekends. weekdays are empty until schools get out. blue has the best trails out of the three.

Camelback is similar but stays busy midweek due to the hotel. I don't enjoy riding here regardless. The layout is weird and is mostly runout.

Mountain creek is empty midweek until schools are out. Weekends are not as bad as blue as the crowds get spread around the 3 peaks. the problem is the best trails are loaded with park features on the old great gorge side. There are really no steep trails to speak of, I think only one now.

Depending on where you are coming from, hunter or even belleayre if your from north jersey would be ideal.

Now one place nobody ever talks about, but I absolutely love, is Montage mountain in scranton. Its legit right in scranton overlooking the city. Downright empty weekdays, light crowds weekend. 1000 ft of vert, although the top to bottom lift is slow. The lodge is mid mountain-ish, and all the steep stuff you can walk right to from your car as the lift is right at the top of the lot. these are some of the most fun trails in PA, and are sheltered into a valley, so the snow is usually great. the passes are cheap too. awesome bar as well.

Domeskier

Now one place nobody ever talks about, but I absolutely love, is Montage mountain in scranton. Its legit right in scranton overlooking the city. Downright empty weekdays, light crowds weekend. 1000 ft of vert, although the top to bottom lift is slow. The lodge is mid mountain-ish, and all the steep stuff you can walk right to from your car as the lift is right at the top of the lot. these are some of the most fun trails in PA, and are sheltered into a valley, so the snow is usually great. the passes are cheap too. awesome bar as well.

To be fair to Montage, I think this sign predates the installation of Satan's Staircase:

Montage - White lightning.jpg

cdskier

I just found out last week that one of the offices where I work is practically right next to Montage. One side of our building up there looks right at Montage. It looked empty anytime I looked out the window last week when I was up there.

Siliconebobsquarepants

Website
www.youtube.com
Yeah, they did a poor job advertising it. They seed a course on the final steep pitch of Razor’s Edge. I can’t imagine it is more than thirty turns, but it is legitimately steep. Last year, they built a kicker at the bottom of the course where it flattens out and jumps did factor into scoring. It has always been a single competitor format, and most entrants get one run. There might be a finals round for the top competitors, but I’m not sure. I think this is the third year they have held the comp on Razor’s, so the format could change as they work out any kinks, I guess. I’m not sure if they have separate categories for men, women and kids. Most people are in it to have fun, but there are always a handful of people with comp experience and impressive skills who make it fun to watch.

I’m sure you saw the registration page, but for anyone else who is interested, here is a link:
https://www.skibluemt.com/calendar/bmr-mogul-mania/

IMG_E1177.jpg
One of the best locals at Blue . Would like to make it but working .

Domeskier

One of the best locals at Blue . Would like to make it but working .

Yep. Quite a few rippers there. Strongly recommend it to any mogul skier who hasn't been. Especially when they bump up Razor's top to bottom (I think it rivals spring bumps on Superstar when they do). I've got my fingers crossed for at least the last two weekends of March.