• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mt. Snow cracks down on opposition to employment policy

drjeff

Proof positive of Jeff's "Whisper in the ear" method. :).

I'm 99.9% sure that in this case it will be all Vcunning's doing and not the result of any "whisper in the ear" conversations! And considering that i've seen him literally have a bunch of 4+ foot high cut outs of my head made up for my cheering section during Tough Mudder last year, I can only imagine what he's up to based on that comment. But i'm quite sure that whatever it is, it will be VERY noticeable the first time I walk into my favorite base lodge bar! :lol:

vcunning

I'm 99.9% sure that in this case it will be all Vcunning's doing and not the result of any "whisper in the ear" conversations!

You can be assured this is one of those covert operations where Mount Snow Management might slap my hand (DrJeff, I think you've been involved in some of these operations before, late at night, in the GM's office. Actually, I have a photo). For clarity . . . not vandalism, just some good passholder fun.

dlague

I am curious - everyone is talking about the musician being fired! He was not fired because he is contracted out - hence in business for himself. They may not use him again - true. However, if you contract out to play music, or provide any other service, it is best you not shit on the company that is providing the business! I know it was his opinion but ..... as a contractor you are in sales mode!

In reading that article, i decided to read some of the comments and i found it funny how a local business owner made it sound like their business is not dependent on Mount Snow in order to survive - What?

Here is the quote in response to someone else:

Conveniently forgotten is the fact that almost all the local restaurants/ hotels/etc exist and thrive thanks to the mountain..." that is giving the mountain a hell of a lot more credit that they deserve"

Rogman

Everyone keeps assuming that Colby Dix protested as a private citizen. It's pretty clear he was advocating on behalf of SeVEDS (Southeastern Vermont Economic Development Strategies http://seveds.com/) of which he is a board member. He was doing his job. The distinction that he wasn't fired, but rather not rehired, is a one of semantics. He had an on-going business relationship with them, which they chose not to renew because they couldn't take the heat about some rather questionable employment practices that were adversely affecting the people of the region. I'm disappointed that the Mt. Snow homers are so willing to apologize for their mountains bad behavior, and that their biggest fear is that he won't be rehired before the start of next season so that they can continue to enjoy his music. Truly lame.

x10003q

Everyone keeps assuming that Colby Dix protested as a private citizen. It's pretty clear he was advocating on behalf of SeVEDS (Southeastern Vermont Economic Development Strategies http://seveds.com/) of which he is a board member. He was doing his job. The distinction that he wasn't fired, but rather not rehired, is a one of semantics. He had an on-going business relationship with them, which they chose not to renew because they couldn't take the heat about some rather questionable employment practices that were adversely affecting the people of the region. I'm disappointed that the Mt. Snow homers are so willing to apologize for their mountains bad behavior, and that their biggest fear is that he won't be rehired before the start of next season so that they can continue to enjoy his music. Truly lame.

I agree that what Mt Snow is doing is lame and mean spirited, but there is nothing questionable about the policies. They are allowed to do what they are doing.

abc

I'm disappointed that the Mt. Snow homers are so willing to apologize for their mountains bad behavior, and that their biggest fear is that he won't be rehired before the start of next season so that they can continue to enjoy his music. Truly lame.
So what YOU would have done if it's your home mountain?

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!

I didn't make the post nor do I agree or disagree with it but I read it to mean that he meant some Mt. Snow Homers were quick to the defense of the mountain right here in this thread...instead of perhaps saying Mt. Snow was/is strongarming some of their local employees who are trying to make a decent wage while working multiple jobs in order to afford living in the area.

My opinion....Mt. Snow should realize Haystack isn't it's real competition. But, they can run their mountain anyway they want...clearly within their right not to rehire Colby or even if he was an employee and didn't have an employment contract, they'd still be in the right to fire him. Their spring beerfest ended at 5 this year with a packed house which was more than ready, willing and able to spend more money on beer and food. It started at 12. 2-7 would have been much better or better yet...12-8!

Last edited:

abc

I didn't make the post nor do I agree or disagree with it but I read it to mean that he meant some Mt. Snow Homers were quick to the defense of the mountain right here in this thread...instead of perhaps saying Mt. Snow was/is strongarming some of their local employees who are trying to make a decent wage while working multiple jobs in order to afford living in the area.
Oh I know what he meant fine. And I'm indifferent whether you agree or disagree with that.

But it's all too easy to throw out casual comment "lame". In fact, that itself is more lame, without anything substantial to back it up. Would the poster stand up in support of the hero, taking the risk of his own business, if any, to be banned? Or even the smaller price of some of their "local friends" taking the opposite side?

My opinion....Mt. Snow should realize Haystack isn't it's real competition
Agree 100%

Last edited:

Rogman

My home mountain is Killington, I post regularly on Kzone, and and haven't pulled my punches regarding my views on K's decisions. I think my street cred is in order. Fortunately, under Mike Solimano Killington has done a 180. He should take a bow. Not much cause for protest these days, more importantly, he really listens to what his customers are saying.

For the thousandth time, no question that Mt Snow is completely within their rights. That doesn't make it right. My hope is they are embarrassed by the negative publicity, but they are clearly tone deaf. The workers are limited in what they can do; clearly the mountain has shown it will retaliate. Change has to be forced by the customers, and that's why I find the behavior of the Mt Snow pass holders so deplorable. They have the power to force change, but won't lift a finger to help those that serve them.