• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

My ISP is getting faster

TenPeaks

I just signed up for a new fiber optic internet service through Verizon. It will cost the same as my current DSL and is supposed to be 5X faster.

They're installing all the cables on Monday. I can't wait!

Stephen

Website
www.dunhom.com
TenPeaks said:
I just signed up for a new fiber optic internet service through Verizon. It will cost the same as my current DSL and is supposed to be 5X faster.

They're installing all the cables on Monday. I can't wait!

What service is THAT?

-Stephen

hammer

TenPeaks said:
Stephen said:
What service is THAT?

-Stephen

It's a new service from Verizon. http://www22.verizon.com/FiosForHome/channels/Fios/HighSpeedInternetForHome.asp

I don't think it's available everywhere yet. Later this year they will be offering a cable TV service. This should give Comcast some needed competition.
I saw a demo of FIOS at the Burlington Mall...it was the highest speed (~30 MBPS) which was very fast. Of course, if I remember right, they were charging ~$150/month for that speed, but the 5 MBPS offerings were cheaper than cable.

I'm looking forward to when Verizon installs it in my town...even if I decide not to go with it, I'm guessing that Comcast will have to speed up my current service to stay competitive.

Does anyone know what the limitations are on the Cable service? How fast can they go with the current hardware?

hammer

OK, so FIOS is now available in my neighborhood and they are offering a package (phone/internet/TV) that includes 20/5 internet connection...should I get it or stay away?

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Internet is great off peak, peak hours, no better than any other cable connections. TV is great, and you get the triple play with phone,it's a great deal. Service is good, one word of warning, with any orders, make no changes. i.e. order service to be installed tomorrow, do not change to Friday, it's a nightmare, there system cannot handle changes.

hardline

Somewhere Between the Toeside and the Hellside
i really like it. there are not that many people in my town that have it yet. so i dont see any drops in speed durring peak hours. i had cable for 2 weeks. because of there network topology you take huge hits in bandwith at peak hours.

one way cable here..but the new place I'm moving into has high speed..We had dial-up at my work until a couple months ago..

was it your dad. mine was silly like that for a long time but the insurance companies made him upgrade. what the hell is one way cable?

No it had to do with the wiring...some pockets aren't wired for high speed internet..One way cable is where you dial-up but the data goes through a cable./