• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Nashoba Valley 03-07-08

loafer89

Area skied: Nashoba Valley, M.A

Date skied: March 7th, 2008 from 4:45pm - 7:15pm

Surface conditions: Spring snow, icy patches, thin areas, limited bare areas.

Weather: overcast and 42F at 4:45pm, 39F at 7:15pm

Warren and I drove past Ski Ward with all intentions of skiing their, but honestly it had to have been the smallest ski area I have ever seen and to make things even worse the mountain plowed down the moguls that they had on the main slope, I think to cover up the growing bare areas. Anyway we continued on to a bit more substantial skiing at Nashoba Valley.

We arrived to a very empty ski area with maybe 50 people on the whole hill, we got our lift tickets and drove over to the Snowdance Double where we parked and started our evening.

Our first run was down the Nashoba Trail:

NashobaTrail.jpg

The snow was very sloppy spring slush and alot different from the powder conditions we enjoyed just a few days ago in Maine. The best snow on the mountain was on the steeper main face especially on Wardance which had some fun moguls:

Wardance.jpg

Warren and I still found some groomed snow to play in on Chief:

Chief.jpg

Overall the conditions where okay, but I was suprised to see such thin base depths at a major Boston ski area. They have about 6-12" base depths on about 50% of the mountain with maybe 1-2' on the remainder of the mountain. They will not do too well after this thaw and 2-3" of rain.

We finished our evening at 7:15pm as I wanted to get our gear in the car and get started home before the rain hit. Our last run was down Nashoba Slope:

NashobaSlope.jpg

We made it south of Route 2 when the rain started all at once, so we timed our ending fairly well. Warren and I had fun, but agree that this was a one time visit.

Warp Daddy

Looked familiar . i skied it ONCE when visiting my grandkids who live a half mile from the lifts. Being from the Adirondack region Nashoba was a bit of a Snore for me frankly

It's no doubt a great starter hill but its a ONE and DONE kinda place for me . Wawa @30 min away is a better deal

loafer89

Looked familiar . i skied it ONCE when visiting my grandkids who live a half mile from the lifts. Being from the Adirondack region Nashoba was a bit of a Snore for me frankly

It's no doubt a great starter hill but its a ONE and DONE kinda place for me . Wawa @30 min away is a better deal

It was a one time visit for us as well, I just wanted to give my son the chance to finally ski there after driving past it dozens of times on the way up to Maine. This was our first <1,000' mountain out of 24 days of skiing so it got boring really fast.

hiroto

Nice to see Nashoba report.

First time I brought my son there (after skiing years at Wawa), he looked at the hill, looked back at me and said, "you're kidding?" :wink: It is a great place to ski after work. I've always worked within 20 minutes from the mountain (within 5 minutes for many years too) and enjoyed racing there for a couple winters.

AMAC2233

When conditions are good, the Nashoba Trail can be a lot of fun. They build up "banks" on those sharp turns; skiing it is almost like a roller coaster. You can really get some speed going. The trail on the far (skiier's) far right is fun too, but can't remember the name.

I'm surprised their base was so low. Though it has been over 50 degrees almost everyday this week (and last!), they usually build up the base pretty good for all the high school ski teams and lessons. I was there in January at the end of that thaw, and the base was pretty good. Guess they stopped snowmaking shortly thereafter.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Nice pics. Nashoba Trail: wow...where is the snow????

Truth be told that they will probably close in the very near future...once grass begins to show in the suburbs, it's over. :cry:

It is a small area, but Chilemass, Bob R, and I had a great outing there...hell it was my first AZ Outing!!!

thetrailboss

Staff member
I also think it is great that you and your son can enjoy skiing together. That is something I hope to look forward to someday!

loafer89

I also think it is great that you and your son can enjoy skiing together. That is something I hope to look forward to someday!

I doubt that I would do half as much skiing as I do right now if not for a son who loves to ski. I love snow more than skiing and he is just the opposite, so it is a happy combination.

Warren wants to ski at Blue Hills, but that is a far drive and their season is probably near it's end.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I doubt that I would do half as much skiing as I do right now if not for a son who loves to ski. I love snow more than skiing and he is just the opposite, so it is a happy combination.

Warren wants to ski at Blue Hills, but that is a far drive and their season is probably near it's end.

Blue Hills...is that still open? Who is running it? It has a great location...and lots of potential with the location. But the neighbors and activists won't (a) let them get any more water for snowmaking, (b) expand operations, (c) increase snowmaking. As a result, it limps along.....and is vandalized quite a bit. It's too bad. Still worth a visit...especially after a massive snowstorm when the natural snow terrain is open. Nice night skiing.

millerm277

Blue Hills...is that still open? Who is running it? It has a great location...and lots of potential with the location. But the neighbors and activists won't (a) let them get any more water for snowmaking, (b) expand operations, (c) increase snowmaking. As a result, it limps along.....and is vandalized quite a bit. It's too bad. Still worth a visit...especially after a massive snowstorm when the natural snow terrain is open. Nice night skiing.

Campgaw took it over this summer, all reports I've heard were positive. They overhauled the lift, and had the snowguns refurbished.