• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Need some Tremblant info

Razor

We're heading for Tremblant in March taking advantage of the current exchange rate. Having never been there before, we could use some inside info both on and off the trails. Any can't miss runs? Best way to navigate the lift system? How about the trees, which hopefully might be open by then? Also, best restaurants, bars, etc. We're staying at the Residence Inn. Thanks.

mikec142

A couple of things:

1. Because you can ski on four sides of the mountain the lines tend to be manageable.

2. I love the low angle glades on the north side of the mountain between Les Rapides and Duncan Bas. They tend to see afternoon sun and soften up. I tend to like Versant Nord better than Versant Sud, but the whole mountain is fun.

3. The pedestrian village is great but the restaurants can be pricey and so-so food wise. It's worth driving into town to go to the local French bistros which IMHO have better food and better prices. Town is only a few minutes by car.

4. There are ATM's in the pedestrian village but you must have a chip card. I had to go into town to get $$

5. If you have kids, beaver tails and maple syrup snow pops are a must!

6. The beer is shockingly bad. I would have thought that Canadians would be like Vermonters and very into their beer.

7. That said, sipping a beer apres ski in the square (assuming it's sunny) is perfect.

All in all, I think that Tremblant is a great East Coast trip. My family and I love it and have been there 2 of the past 3 spring breaks. This year we are heading out west, but if we weren't, I'd be happy to go back to Tremblant.

crank

It gets very crowded during Ontario's March vacation week so try not to go then. If you do go then either get on the hill early or late as there will be a long line to get up from the village in the morning. Also if coming back to the front side in the afternoon there can be a big line later in the afternoon. Not sure how Quebec vacation break effects Tremblant. They have better ski areas with Ste Anne and Le Massif but Tremblant is not so far away for them either.

They don't generally get tons of snow but they usually keep what they get.

It has been a long time since we skied Tremblant but I remember it being a great place for a family vacation. Sort of Disneyish but all the restaurants and shops in the village are independently owned and all the food was quite good IMO.
The indoor pool/mini water park was very popular with the kids.

Yes to beaver tails!

tnt1234

So funny that you mention the beer....that's about my only complaint about the place!

Only been once, with the family. Late march/early april of last year.

Off slope advice -

- The beer is bad - I forget the brand that is found just about everywhere....they serve the red and the lager on tap, occasionally bottles of molten, one place had guiness I think....

BUT there is a brew pub in the village down the lane - not close to the slopes, so not great for that first beer after skiing...but I found it to be pretty good.

Also, if you are coming form the states, you can bring a case with you - might be two....check the customs website.

- Food is not great - avoid the mexican place. The octagon bar at the foot of the slopes is pretty solid. The restaurant in the nice hotel - I forget the name - is also pretty good. But you know, you can always find a burger and fries.

And again, the food at the brew pub was pretty good. There is also a little cabin place that does savory crepes that is really good. Sorry I forget the names.

- there also is a little market in the village that we took advantage off for breakfast foods.

Skiing -

You mentioned trees, so our favorite glades were Les Bouleaux - not the highest or steepest, but the trees look like they burned or something, and you have a little hike to it, so it was just a really cool run...

Le Tunnel was steeper, tighter, and there is a narrow trail down the center if you want to bail.

They closed the Edge side the day after we arrived so we never got there - we were there mid week late in the season. There was plenty of snow, and I assume they opened it back the following weekend - but there are supposed to be good trees over there.

We only skied the marked glades, and they were all pretty solid, just a little short. Edge seems to have longer sections....

CBC is one of the best trails there - absolute blast. (we has nice snow BTW, so, we loved the whole mountain.) narrow winding, natural trail. Super tight in spots. Looked like some tree skiing off the side, but we didn't try them. Seemed to me you could slide off the side of the mountain there, and we weren't familiar with it there...

Also Ryan is a good one. Little wider, maybe a little steeper in spots.

There are some good steeps too - Expo and Dynamite on the back side, Zig Zag on the front....

It's a fun mountain. Nearly all the upper mountain lifts end a the same summit, so supper easy to meet up. Nice variety.

Warp Daddy

Ski it every season , follow the sun around the mountain , the northside is a bit more hardcore , the lifts are all about the same except the gondi which can get quued up . Avoid both provincial vacation periods like the plague . Bring warm gear , i mean everrything u have and make damn sure you have great masks , heat packs for your hands and feet or heated boots .

i have been there in 75 below zero F windchill , it can get beastly so prepare for the worst . The village is a tourist trap but if you have not been before it is worth a look . The Quebecois cuisine is world class

enjoy

Razor

Thanks. This is the kind of info we're looking for. Keep 'em coming.

fbrissette

Thanks. This is the kind of info we're looking for. Keep 'em coming.

My home base is Jay Peak, but Tremblant used to be my mountain. First week of March is reading week. Busy. Here are some tips for a busy day:

- always start on the North side (if you stay in the main village - south side - hit the gondola and ski the north side. When the lines start to appear on north side (typically around 10h30) head to the Edge. When the lines get there, go have lunch.

Favorite runs (disclaimer - I'm a glade dude) North side: CBC (narrow and goes on forever), Tunnel - you know you're in shape if you can do it top to bottom non stop ! Boiling Kettle (my absolute favorite - not very long but fun, with a nice little drop in a left turn. Windigo is a fun intermediate glade before you decide to hit Dynamite or not. Dynamite is the hardest run at Tremblant, due to a very very difficult very steep and very icy section .

Of the Edge, Emotion is the best glade.

South side is not my favorite. More crowded, mostly groomers, the last 300 yards where all trails merge is a zoo. Lower Ryan (Ryan bas) is really good under good ski conditions. Ungroomed, no bailout. Flying Mile at mid mountain is a great bump run, steep at the top easier after.

The Village - full of life, lots of bars and restaurants. You park your car and don't need it for the rest of the week. If you want quiet and don't mind driving, I suggest staying on the north side. Suggestion: http://www.cotenordtremblant.com/en/

Sidecountry and secret stashes: lots of them. Can't share on a forum. Don't follow tracks unless you really know where you are doing. Some lines will take you away from the main resort.

machski

Well, the only terrain of interest for me was the edge pod. Glades are good up there, emotion is best but a pain to lap as it drops out of the pod proper onto a Green flat. You can get back on a single run, but tough. The steep stuff is quite short (on the North side, steepest is off the Expo quad which is lower half of mountain) and the steep last only a third of the trail length. A couple of short steeps off the summit on south side, then flattens out. Flying mile has a couple steeps but same deal, only for about 1/3 of the trail length. Versant Solei is mostly forgettable though there are a few fun glades if they are open. Edge and Solei tend to have the least lift lines. Worst line we saw was at TGV on south side.

As for the Residence Inn, request a room not on the Rue des Remparts side if you don't intend to join the 3am party. We stayed there and had a room right above the street over MLK weekend. Noisy as all hell until 3am as the nightclubs in the village are right outside the hotel, even on the Sunday night.

On mountain food I thought was terrible, go into the village for lunch unless you use the kitchen you have in the Residence. You can ski back on the village trail and take the Cabriolet back up.