• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New bike

mlctvt

I was in the local bike shop last week; the owner knew I was somewhat interested in possibly getting a new bike because I asked him some questions last fall. He told me about the Specialized Spring Classics Sale where Specialized is discounting the Carbon Fiber Road bikes by up to $1000 off now through April 22. Incredible deals really. I couldn't pass this up so I ordered a 2013 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert Compact at $500 off. I should pick it up this weekend.

The Di2 version was $1000 off but still an $800 premium over the standard mechanical model. I figure since the frame is the same on both models and I can get the Di2 upgrade kit (shifters, Derailleurs, battery, mounts and wires) for about $1100 on eBay. I can always upgrade in the future and either sell the mechanical stuff or use them on one of my other bikes or my tandem.

The SL4 frame is amazing , even better than previous S-Works SL3s but also considerably less money. The Expert is the lowest price model using the SL4 frame.
When I was test riding bikes I was really impressed with the ride quality and stiffness of even the lower end Roubaix’s. Even the $1600 model rode better than my 2006 Trek Madone 5.2. All Roubaix models use the same basic frame geometry, the lower cost models just use a different carbon fiber that is heavier and maybe not quite as stiff (torsional rigidity).

I didn't really "need" a new bike, my '06 Trek still rides fine although it's got about 25,000 miles on it. I could probably ride it another 6-10 years or more. But the long rides I’m planning for this year should be much more comfortable on the new Roubaix.
I'll post some pictures after I pick it up.

MR. evil

You should have just bough o3Jeff's road bike, it not like he rides it or anything.

mlctvt

What's he got?
I really have too many bikes as it is anyway. :)
I sold 2 last year but between me and my wife we still have 9 bikes.

I should sell 2 or 3 mountain bikes we never use. Especially since we bought the cross bikes a few years back.

mlctvt

The bike shop called and saind my bike was in but Specialized forgot to include a couple of proprietary cable guides so we have to wait until they come in next week. I'm like a disappointed kid right now. I was hoping to take an inaugural ride this weekend.:sad:

bvibert

Staff member
The bike shop called and saind my bike was in but Specialized forgot to include a couple of proprietary cable guides so we have to wait until they come in next week. I'm like a disappointed kid right now. I was hoping to take an inaugural ride this weekend.:sad:

That's a bummer! I'd be pretty upset.

mlctvt

Finally picked it up last night. I only had time for a 7 mile ride. Extremely comfortable ride, amazing how smooth the ride is but the bike transfers power better than anything I've ridden. Tomorrow we'll go for 60-65 miles so any fit issue should be known then.

17.5LBS as shown here. When I install my Dura-Ace C24 wheels it should drop about a LB or more

Roubaix.jpg

Last edited:

mlctvt

Wow, 17.5 lb ... That's light!

I think so but it's heavy compared to the guys I ride with bikes. One guy has a Tarmac SL4 with SRAM red that weights just 15lbs!
I think that's a bit excessive , doesn't a full water bottle 1-2 lbs?
I'm going to work on dropping a few pounds from myself first.

mlctvt

Nice looking ride! A guy in my club just picked up a Roubaix SL4 this week. He absolutely loves it. Enjoy!
I absolutely love mine too. The ride is amazing but the bike is still stiff where it needs to be it just doesn't affect the ride quality. I don't know how the designers achieved this. This bike makes my '06 Madone 5.2 feel like a piece of junk. Even the lower carbon Roubaixs I test rode felt better than my Madone in ride quality and power transfer. I guess what they say about technology trickling down is true. A few years ago S-Works technology which cost $6000-7000 a few years ago can be bought in a sub $2000 bike today (Roubaix Sport).