• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Info on Waterville Valley Expansion

threecy

Website
www.franklinsites.com
Not sure why My taxes should be used for this?
I believe the town is requesting Federal funds for this, so I'd suggest contacting your Representative or Senator if you have issues with this potential grant. I believe they're asking for a similar amount of funds as to what was spent on the Mittersill chair at Cannon last year.

Also is it possible to make a trail to the village for return, or would they depend on the gondola for this?
I can't imagine there's enough pitch to sustain skiing across the road and into the village, so I suspect there would be downloading capability on the gondola, perhaps making this a larger version of what was installed at Stowe a few years ago.

Telemechanic

The town of Waterville Valley applied for the Federal grant, presumably on the grounds that it would benefit businesses downtown by being connected to the ski area. If the cost of the project ended up larger than the funds approved, the ski area would cover the difference. If approved, the ski area would take over the lift and pay to operate it. Right or wrong, this is how some things have been handled by the town of Waterville Valley (the town and the ski area both contributing to jointly beneficial projects).

The background on this is that the town Waterville Valley was nearly abolished prior to the ski area being built, and that the ski area was originally supposed to be connected to the town, but the assasination of Robert Kennedy may have contributed to the end of those plans (being that he was key in getting Federal permits and loans for the original project in the 1960s).

The town of Telluride Colorado built their Village Gondola in 1996 with various funds including a National Transportation Grant. Its a free form of public transportation between the town of Telluride and Mountain Village open from 7am to midnight more than 280 days a year. Reducing pollution by reducing shuttle buses was one of the arguments for building the lift.

http://www.mountain-village.co.us/index.aspx?NID=197

Smellytele

I believe the town is requesting Federal funds for this, so I'd suggest contacting your Representative or Senator if you have issues with this potential grant. I believe they're asking for a similar amount of funds as to what was spent on the Mittersill chair at Cannon last year.

So are you for this or against this?

johngalt

All these people with their knickers in a bunch over the notion of govt $$ being spent on private industry ... like it doesn't happen any where else ... sheesh ...

bobbutts

All these people with their knickers in a bunch over the notion of govt $$ being spent on private industry ... like it doesn't happen any where else ... sheesh ...

It's just spillover from threecy vs. az over Cannon.
Threecy maintains the unpopular position that Cannon should be leased, and has been heavily criticized and attacked on this board on that point and well beyond. The members and moderators of this board will likely continue to engage him successfully until snow conditions improve.

EPB

It's just spillover from threecy vs. az over Cannon.
Threecy maintains the unpopular position that Cannon should be leased, and has been heavily criticized and attacked on this board on that point and well beyond. The members and moderators of this board will likely continue to engage him successfully until snow conditions improve.

Do you really think that it's an unpopular position? I just assumed that the big government folks just liked to bark more than the rest.

bobbutts

Do you really think that it's an unpopular position? I just assumed that the big government folks just liked to bark more than the rest.

In this context it's clearly highly unpopular.. I don't have any idea how non-skiers feel about it, never had the subject come up with them.