• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New lift, trail work proposed for Whiteface Mountain

urungus

Stolen from unofficialnetworks

“The plan includes widening the Upper Thruway Trail, Upper Parkway Trail, Lower Thruway Trail and Burton’s Trail. The new lift, the amendment states, will help transition beginner skiers and snowboarders from the Bear Den Area to the more intermediate trails. All of these are listed under the amendment’s highest priorities. The trail widening, Pratt also explained, is to accommodate the growing number of athletic events and to meet international ski standards.“

Unfortunate, I like narrow trails

deadheadskier

Staff member
smh trails always getting more and more obese

Which is especially problematic at Eastern ski areas known for wind scouring. Not wise for places like Whiteface, Sugarloaf, Cannon etc to cut ultra wide trails.

I have not skied Whiteface, but have skied Sugarloaf and Cannon a bunch. I love them both, but every time I'm there I think about how much better it would be in terms of terrain character and snow conditions had they not gotten so chainsaw happy.

urungus

Too bad they can’t get more trails/the slides open regularly.
How many days per year on average are the slides open ? Wish there was a way to get an “open” alert for usually closed trails like the Slides, DJs Tramline, Robins Run at Smugglers, etc

ThatGuy

How many days per year on average are the slides open ? Wish there was a way to get an “open” alert for usually closed trails like the Slides, DJs Tramline, Robins Run at Smugglers, etc
Probably lucky if they’re open on two separate occasions a year. I check if they’re open every once in a while during the winter and its very rare. Here’s some good info about them, https://nyskiblog.com/whiteface-slides/

urungus

Conditions were great on my one visit to Whiteface, however the Slides were still closed despite 60 inches of snow in the preceding week

9EBAD740-9E8A-442E-88BA-AAE856E305E1.jpeg

93CE036E-39C8-49EF-BC9E-2F0386E03DE8.jpeg

BenedictGomez

Whiteface absolutely sucks for beginners, and I do not see the entirety of these changes making it any less sucky.

If New York State has money burning holes in its pockets that it needs to dump on Whiteface, it should go to:

1) Snowmaking on Lookout Mountain so that area is open more than 3 Wednesdays per season
2) Extra ski patrol, or whatever it is they need to open the Slides & end the "avalanche danger" farce as being the reason it's never open. Yes, avalanche can happen in there, but not during 95% of the time it's closed for that very reason.

PAabe

Gore could use some snowmaking help too imo particularly Hudson chair terrain is never open, and burnt ridge takes a while to get going. And they seem to be quick to close glades. Lots of $ dumped into lifts that don't run much

Newpylong

Lookout Mountain already has 100% snowmaking. The Ski Bowl at Gore has (near) 100% snowmaking. It is a question of priorities for both mountains. If they are so lo down the list (or not at all on the list like 46er and Hudson at Gore) then their pumping capacity all around is inadequate despite saying otherwise.

Smellytele

Whiteface absolutely sucks for beginners, and I do not see the entirety of these changes making it any less sucky.

If New York State has money burning holes in its pockets that it needs to dump on Whiteface, it should go to:

1) Snowmaking on Lookout Mountain so that area is open more than 3 Wednesdays per season
2) Extra ski patrol, or whatever it is they need to open the Slides & end the "avalanche danger" farce as being the reason it's never open. Yes, avalanche can happen in there, but not during 95% of the time it's closed for that very reason.
Don't beginners have their own little section? Bunny hutch lift area? Maybe the next level is a little lacking. even intermediates can ski all of the lower lift which is pretty flat. and the Wilmington trail is a nice long cruiser. that gets you to lookout (although not back to it). Even at the top skiers right has a lot of blues (victoria is a little steep for a blue)

gladerider

when they get dumped, whiteface is one of the best in the east