• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Ski boot technology and advancements

MidnightJester

New Ski boot technology to make your feet a little happier.

This link has reviews on multiple companies BOA ski boots even though it says redirecting

Atomic, Fischer, K2, & Salomon​

GregoryIsaacs

I hope they did some serious testing in the NE woods before putting these on the market.

I can foresee a lot of snags with those exposed cables.

skiur

I hope they did some serious testing in the NE woods before putting these on the market.

I can foresee a lot of snags with those exposed cables.

Boa have been used for a long time on snowboard boots, my wife has been riding in the woods with boa boots for over 10 years and never had an issue with it snagging anything. That being said I wouldn't want them for ski boots.

KustyTheKlown

seeing people with boa ski boots will be as much of a tell for me as seeing people with ass turtles or ski blades. avoid at all costs.

the worst are those bindings that are like step in with a regular shoe. one min, trying to find...

edit - these. apex ski boots. get the fuck out of here. soft boot for people with soft hands.

apex-mens-xp-antero-ski-boot.jpg

deadheadskier

Staff member
My friend's wife uses those Apex boots. She has really wonky feet and tried for years with many boot fitters to make a traditional boot work, but always was in pain and basically gave up skiing until these came along. The Apex works for her cruising the blues with her kids. So, that's a good thing in my mind.

abc

Don’t see why not.

What are the ski control movements that needs a hard boot top? If not, why not make it soft?

drjeff

I've got an instructor friend of mine, who has a pair of the Apex boots that he uses when he's teaching lower level classes where he's going to be out on the hill for a while, not doing very much technical skiing. He says that they're warmer (his mid 50yr old toes have some circulation issues these days) and more comfortable for sure for standing around for extended periods of time.'

When he's out with a higher level groups of students or free skiing, he's not in his Apex's but in his Lange RS130's for precision. He likes to decsribe the difference as similar to the ride of a big, soft suspension 4 door luxury sedan vs the ride of a well balanced, precise sports car

deadheadskier

Staff member
Seems to me the reason soft boots are workable with snowboards is they put far more weight over on one edge than skiers do. It's just the difference in physics. Snowboard racers however do use hardshell boots because the hard plastics transmit more energy / force.

As for my friend using the Apex system, as mentioned she just cruises groomed blues. She's not skiing bumps or carving steep demanding terrain. So such a system is fine for that application.

KustyTheKlown

right. it is fine for that scenario. mom skiing mellow groomers with her kids.

i take issue with the people who try to claim that they can ski anything with no performance sacrifice. and those people are out there. i rode a lift with one once. couldn't help but laugh in his face.

i am generally opposed to things that make skiing too cushy and comfortable. like electric heated socks.

deadheadskier

Staff member
right. it is fine for that scenario. mom skiing mellow groomers with her kids.

i take issue with the people who try to claim that they can ski anything with no performance sacrifice. and those people are out there. i rode a lift with one once. couldn't help but laugh in his face.

i am generally opposed to things that make skiing too cushy and comfortable. like electric heated socks.

Well, that's kinda how I feel about people skiing 100 mm waist skis on groomers. Haha. The vast majority of skiers are on too wide of a ski in the East IMO.

I actually recently bought a set of racing biased ski boots because my more side country focused boots weren't cutting it for me on icy race courses. Both boots have a 130 flex rating, but the race focused boots are stiffer laterally and transmit more energy for carving. I'll keep the old ones for soft snow days that I'm primarily skiing trees and bumps.

KustyTheKlown

i meant 'claim they can ski any terrain while wearing apex ski boots', not 'claim they can ski any terrain on any equipment', but point taken.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
There are still conventional buckles on the shin . Hopefully the mechanism never jams or you’ll be driving home with ski boots on. No thanks I don’t see a quantum leap in useful technology here.

abc

Ever see a snowboarder make really dialed in short radius slalom turns?
But how many, even here, make really dialed in short radius slalom turns?

Short turns, yes. Really dialed in? Hardly.

Name a move requires precise pressure to the TOP of the boot?