• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Ski boot technology and advancements

Bratwurst

I'm on these. Got them at S&W in Concord, NH. Mine are a couple years older. Before these, Blue Langes and I thought the technology was maxed out. Nope, these things are lighter and stiffer. They do not loose flex in the cold (not that it ever gets cold around here). Instead of insulation they have Neoprene (I think) I take a size 10 and ski in 9s so when I hit 30 MPH and my skis start to perform; I can push my big toe down and turn. It would be close to impossible to blow out an ankle or lower leg bone in these sick puppies. woof

Ready for ski -off.
Paid $500 (NO TAX)

I upgraded to Lange RS110 5 years ago from a mushy, too large intermediate boot and it made all the difference in my skiing. I'll never ski in anything but a performance/race boot again but the problem is the comfort level is awful and i resigned myself to pain and suffering crunching my foot in and out. They suck to walk in and since it's a one piece plug like boot the soles wear down quickly. Are your Langes comfortable? Or is that a stupid question for a performance/ race type boot? I made 3 trips to the bootfitter so they fit perfectly. I'm not up to speed on new technology.

Attachments

• Lange 110.jpg
    Lange 110.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 1

thetrailboss

Staff member
New Ski boot technology to make your feet a little happier.

This link has reviews on multiple companies BOA ski boots even though it says redirecting

Atomic, Fischer, K2, & Salomon​

I've seen a lot of marketing BS over this the last few days. One "article" proclaiming that buckled boots are now obsolete. Believe it when I see it. My Dalbello Panteras are fine, thanks.

Last edited:

BodeMiller1

I upgraded to Lange RS110 5 years ago from a mushy, too large intermediate boot and it made all the difference in my skiing. I'll never ski in anything but a performance/race boot again but the problem is the comfort level is awful and i resigned myself to pain and suffering crunching my foot in and out. They suck to walk in and since it's a one piece plug like boot the soles wear down quickly. Are your Langes comfortable? Or is that a stupid question for a performance/ race type boot? I made 3 trips to the bootfitter so they fit perfectly. I'm not up to speed on new technology.
You can heat mold most of these, it helps butt the person doing it needs to know what they're doing.
I put them on watching TV. The Indians used to do it, so it's time tested.

I saw a blurb about the 4 bucket boot going away. Doesn't pass the smell test.

As far as the flip on the back to put the boot in walk mode, okay I had them. Butt the good skiers just seem to loosen the top buckles. This is a little slower butt who cares. Good for kids maybe 🤔

I pretty much buy equipment when I have to.

darent

i meant 'claim they can ski any terrain while wearing apex ski boots', not 'claim they can ski any terrain on any equipment', but point taken.
some mighty good skiers wore rear entry boots back in the day, I wouldn't try and chase Plake wearing Apex boots

thetrailboss

Staff member
Buying some when I get back..I have skinned up Alta for my avi course...it was exhausting..but altitude played a big part in that
Did you do the Avi Course that just happened? I rode up the lift with a guy who was doing that course. And he was bragging to me about how much he paid for his hotel room (in the thousands). Seemed like a real d-bag.

Kingslug20

Many years ago..
My hotels back then where 80 bucks a night...
Some rooms did have a chalk outline on the floor from the last guest though...

crank

Boots go through trends. I look for comfortable boot that fit well and hold my feet in place. Right now I have some hybrid boots that are like beefy AT boots. Next pair I might go more towards the AT side though I don't skin much these days I just like the lightness. I just don't need a race boot or a race fit.

I think I prefer buckles to the cable thingy.

I tried on some rear entry boots back in the 80's when they were the rage. I wanted to like them, I really did. The only thing good about them was the ease of getting them on.

SkiingInABlueDream

I agree. I'm sure someone will disagree.
Yeap, that'll be me. I've always been pretty sensitive to the 2nd buckle (from the toe) but I'll agree about the 1st buckle. My snarky side wants to say that if you're indifferent to least the 2nd buckle then either your boots are poorly fitted or you're a beater who wonders why everyone doesn't just ski in snowboard slippers. But then, I've got a friend, who's a good skier and who fusses over all the buckles, so arguably he could say I'm one of those beaters so... TF do I know😅

ThatGuy

I think if your boot is fitted properly with the correct flex then the ankle buckle is most important. Foot buckles should be just tight enough to hold the boot in place. No need to create two pressure points on top of your foot cranking them down.