• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Ski boot technology and advancements

Kingslug20

1st 2 barely buckled
Next one up does most if the work
Top one 3/4 as tight so I can pressure forward
Done...

Smellytele

Boots go through trends. I look for comfortable boot that fit well and hold my feet in place. Right now I have some hybrid boots that are like beefy AT boots. Next pair I might go more towards the AT side though I don't skin much these days I just like the lightness. I just don't need a race boot or a race fit.

I think I prefer buckles to the cable thingy.

I tried on some rear entry boots back in the 80's when they were the rage. I wanted to like them, I really did. The only thing good about them was the ease of getting them on.
Saw a guy with rear entry boots today at Magic

John9

With a correctly fitting boot, the bottom 2 buckles do almost nothing. I will keep my Lange RX 130 LV

abc

No ones skiing a zipper line with soft shell boots, try to hit some bumps with your boots completely unbuckled and let us know how much control you have.
Did that with the lower 2 buckles undone (not on purpose, just forgot to buckle up after lunch). Did the whole afternoon. Yes, including bumps. So yes, I had done it and can tell you about it! :)

It “felt” different. But I was able to ski the bumps fine. Just had to concentrate on having my feet UNDER me. I can say recovery, once in the back seat, was slow. But not getting in the back seat to begin with, there’s very little issue.

ThatGuy

Did that with the lower 2 buckles undone (not on purpose, just forgot to buckle up after lunch). Did the whole afternoon. Yes, including bumps. So yes, I had done it and can tell you about it! :)

It “felt” different. But I was able to ski the bumps fine. Just had to concentrate on having my feet UNDER me. I can say recovery, once in the back seat, was slow. But not getting in the back seat to begin with, there’s very little issue.
Yes that’s basically what I said…
I think if your boot is fitted properly with the correct flex then the ankle buckle is most important. Foot buckles should be just tight enough to hold the boot in place. No need to create two pressure points on top of your foot cranking them down.
The argument is more the fact that if the shell of the ski boot is soft then you’re not going to have the same amount of control. Snowboard boot’s don’t need to have the same precision in their ability to direct pressure.
Also with the boa system you have way more of an opportunity for failure. With 4 buckles you can still get by if one breaks. I’ve seen more than a couple snowboarders (including my BiL) that have had their Boa system fail and end their day.

BodeMiller1

Snug strap on top to boot.​
Buckle bottom buckle (toe).​
and work up and down until foot is in painful agony. take the pain.​
at the same time do the other boot in order.​
Chug a beer to take the edge off.​
Go to a safety meeting with Mr. Huffington.​
Clean all snow and click in.​
Ski in control until away from the others.​
Sometimes I tape my ankles butt, this can lead to cuts or scrapes from friction. When you're at 45 MHP all is right in the world.​
Until you peel the boots off.​
Store boot in a warm dust free place with all buckles clicked down and extra notch to keep flex...​

In Bode Miller's book he describes why he uses small boots. I took it to heart.

Meow

Domeskier

The lower two buckles don't make much of a difference in the bumps, especially if the boot fits properly to begin with. If you were able to ski bumps (or anything else for that matter) with the upper buckles undone, that would be quite a feat.

Kingslug20

Because you’ll break them in the bumps. My Dynafit Radicals only have 5mm clearance on the heels. Ok for groomers but not good for moguls.
Not the full AT boots..hybrid. salomon shift pro 130.
I use them all day in moguls. Screenshot_20230206_130022_Chrome.jpg

abc

The lower two buckles don't make much of a difference in the bumps, especially if the boot fits properly to begin with. If you were able to ski bumps (or anything else for that matter) with the upper buckles undone, that would be quite a feat.
But what’s the upper buckles had anything to do at all with the discussion, in the context of this thread? :popcorn:

Domeskier

But what’s the upper buckles had anything to do at all with the discussion, in the context of this thread? :popcorn:
Are you serious? The post you quoted expressly stated:

"No ones skiing a zipper line with soft shell boots, try to hit some bumps with your boots completely unbuckled and let us know how much control you have."

Do you even bother to read what you are responding to before shooting off your mouth? Sheesh.

cdskier

"No ones skiing a zipper line with soft shell boots, try to hit some bumps with your boots completely unbuckled and let us know how much control you have."

Do you even bother to read what you are responding to before shooting off your mouth? Sheesh.

I think reading comprehension is a common problem on this forum (and on the Internet in general). All too often I see posts where it is clear someone either didn't read the full post they're responding to or didn't understand it.

abc

The context of the thread was the “soft” boot. Except the upper of the boot has a “hard” cuff, which is no different than a hard shell with a liner.

If you don’t understand physics or engineering, all you’re spouting is ignorance. Pointless and have no meaningful discussion.

crank

Learning to ski bumps with loose boots is a challenge and it is really good for your skiing.

Domeskier

The context of the thread was the “soft” boot. Except the upper of the boot has a “hard” cuff, which is no different than a hard shell with a liner.

If you don’t understand physics or engineering, all you’re spouting is ignorance. Pointless and have no meaningful discussion.
You seriously need to stop embarrassing yourself like this. "Completely unbuckled" does not mean "half buckled," "soft boot" does not mean "half soft boot" and "skiing with a completely unbuckled boot" does not mean "skiing with a half buckled boot." That is not up for debate.

I realize reading comprehension is hard for you. Not to mention your tenuous grasp of the basic principles of logic and inference. You have made those facts abundantly clear time and again on this board. What I cannot understand is your pathological inability to admit your errors even when incontrovertible evidence is staring you straight in the face. It is quite fascinating to watch the contortions you go through when trying to save face. Do you truly believe that a ski boot with the lower buckles unbuckled is the equivalent of a soft snowboard boot? Or that your experience skiing with the lower half of you boot unbuckled is at all relevant to what it's like to ski with your boot completely unbuckled? Are you really that stupid?

John9

I would bet anyone trying to ski bumps with a completely unbuckled boot, meaning the same condition as you put them.on and off, would fall out of the boots and face plant.

Domeskier

As Crank mentioned, it's an exercise some instructors use to promote balance. I've seen videos of people doing it on flats. Probably close to what skiing in leather boots must have felt like.