• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Ski boot technology and advancements

Edd

Love it conceptually, especially that they’re doing an Atomic Hawx version. This bit bothers me.

We get it—you’re the raddest skier on the mountain. The good news is the boot brands and BOA know we put our gear through the ringer. The all new steel cable has a breaking strength of 550 lbs. That’s a lot of force. BOA designed the dial with a quick release system, so the dial pops off rather than shearing off. Held by that super strong cable, you won’t lose the dial in the snow or parking lot. It can be quickly snapped back on without any tools.

I won’t lose it because it pops off instead of shears? What’s the difference? If it indeed pops off, yeah, I think I could lose it in the snow. Then what? Pop off the other so I can loosen the boot at the end of the day?

Smellytele

Love it conceptually, especially that they’re doing an Atomic Hawx version. This bit bothers me.

I won’t lose it because it pops off instead of shears? What’s the difference? If it indeed pops off, yeah, I think I could lose it in the snow. Then what? Pop off the other so I can loosen the boot at the end of the day?
It’s held by the cable even if it pops off

Reactions: Edd

Kingslug20

I still don't get why it matters on the buckles..that don't really matter..

Domeskier

I still don't get why it matters on the buckles..that don't really matter..
Fair question. The article even notes that boot-fitters don't recommend tightening the lower buckles. Perhaps this is a product best suited for people who don't want to pay for a decent boot-fitter and need to crush their feet in place with the shell to get a decent fit.

SkiingInABlueDream

Because the bottom 2 buckles do not "not matter". If your boot is well fitted then it performs better with some buckle tension down there, doesn't have to be cranked. (in fact if you are cranking any buckle suggests poor boot fit). I'm usually a huge skeptic of attempts to reinvent wheels but I listened to that podcast and IMO it's plausible that they've discovered something here....

Kingslug20

But..it's heavier than buckles...and if your barely tensioning them...then why the complicated mechanism.
I know engineers like to change things...I'm not one of those...
But whatever..I'm not buying them...

da-bum

If this system also narrows the forefoot as promised, then they would need to mount the contact points much lower, so the cables would pull in the side of the boot. Also the lower forefoot cutout area would likely have to be wider in order for it to be pull inward much closer to the side of the foot.

abc

You seriously need to stop embarrassing yourself like this. "Completely unbuckled" does not mean "half buckled," "soft boot" does not mean "half soft boot" and "skiing with a completely unbuckled boot" does not mean "skiing with a half buckled boot." That is not up for debate.

I realize reading comprehension is hard for you. Not to mention your tenuous grasp of the basic principles of logic and inference. You have made those facts abundantly clear time and again on this board. What I cannot understand is your pathological inability to admit your errors even when incontrovertible evidence is staring you straight in the face. It is quite fascinating to watch the contortions you go through when trying to save face. Do you truly believe that a ski boot with the lower buckles unbuckled is the equivalent of a soft snowboard boot? Or that your experience skiing with the lower half of you boot unbuckled is at all relevant to what it's like to ski with your boot completely unbuckled? Are you really that stupid?
Since you add nothing materialistic to the argument except spewing insults. I see no point in responding. There’re better platform to have meaningful discussion of new technologies. But I doubt anyone here knows about them and never mind willing to open their mind to those.

You may continue to delight in your believe in your superiority in this echo chamber. I’ve given the board a rest in the summer. Now that I’m no longer on a Vail pass, I wouldn’t even fit in the anti-Vail echo either. I will just leave this cesspool to those who enjoy their own echo for the rest of the season!

After all, I’m leaving for the west next week for the rest of the season. I’m no longer a “northeast” skier. One thing I won’t do is to pester the board with my enjoyment of the good snow as a show off to irritate those who had to put up with ”hot rain and solid ice”. ;)

Bye, see you all in 2024, if at all.

Last edited:

ThatGuy

Have fun out West
Bye Bye Goodbye GIF by Mickey Mouse

deadheadskier

Staff member
Since you add nothing materialistic to the argument except spewing insults. I see no point in responding. There’re better platform to have meaningful discussion of new technologies. But I doubt anyone here knows about them and never mind willing to open their mind to those.

You may continue to delight in your believe in your superiority in this echo chamber. I’ve given the board a rest in the summer. Now that I’m no longer on a Vail pass, I wouldn’t even fit in the anti-Vail echo either. I will just leave this cesspool to those who enjoy their own echo for the rest of the season!

After all, I’m leaving for the west next week for the rest of the season. I’m no longer a “northeast” skier. One thing I won’t do is to pester the board with my enjoyment of the good snow as a show off to irritate those who had to put up with ”hot rain and solid ice”. ;)

Bye, see you all in 2024, if at all.

Many people disagreeing with your opinion doesn't an echo chamber make.

Did it ever occur to you that maybe you're just wrong on a topic and more knowledgeable people are just pointing that out?

Anyways, have fun out west.

Leaving the board forever announcements are always amusing.