• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New skis for a young dad with kids

CuseInDaHouse

So I'm looking for a new set of skis. I am an advanced intermediate able to carve turns and will be skiing local hills in MD and PA and an occasional trip to New England.

I will be on the hill with my daughter but when she is taking a break I want to go out and rip some groomers, and some off piste skiing. I like to go fast but not supersonic. Just an occasional aggressive pace.

I am 5'8" 195 prolly 200 with gear. Size 26.5 boot salomon x pro 120. I have not purchased skis since early 2000.

I am looking for sizing recommendations in these skis:

Blizzard bushwacker, bonafide, brahma
Rossignol experience 88
Others?

I'm open to other suggestions too! I love this site and the info. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Last edited:

CuseInDaHouse

Thanks for the reply. I see you are 180 pounds. With gear on I am around 195. Did you end up with the 180? I was thinking 173 would be fine for me.

CuseInDaHouse

Interesting these weren't even in my short list. What length did y'all go with?

dlague

The Rossi's you mentioned above have gotten good reviews, great turning ski. The Line Prophets mentioned are also a nice ski. Based on your ability and height I would suggest something in the mid 170's. The boots you mentioned will be a great driver.

What were the skis you were skiing up until now?

gmcunni

Thanks for the reply. I see you are 180 pounds. With gear on I am around 195. Did you end up with the 180? I was thinking 173 would be fine for me.

i'm 200ish before gear.. i ended up with 178 i think and could have easily gone longer especially with the 98 width. that ski (or perhaps the width, i'm not a "gear head") loves to cruise at high speed.

if conditions south in MD and PA are firmer (i suspect they are) the 88mm bushwacker might be a really nice ski. i liked it just wanted wider because i fantasize that i ski up north more than i really do.

prsboogie

Prophet 90 in a mid 170s, salomon xt800 or xt850(skied both) were good too. In the same realm as what you are looking at the völkl Kendos would be a good choice. I would agree that 98 is excessive but its totally you preference

BenedictGomez

Hunting rifle might be beneficial this year in the Poconos if they can't find this guy.

Luckily Pennsylvania is an Open Carry state, but you're probably gonna' also want to rock a full snow gillie.

images

murff81

I'm about 5'10'' and just over 200. I got a good deal on Volkl RTM 80 in 171. It's a little shorter then what I was looking for but will serve me good.

Haven't used them yet but from what I read they will be perfect for the majority of skiing in the NE/type of skiing I do. RTM = ride the mountain so there suppose to be an all around ski....

bigbog

(ditto on Bushwacker, Brahma(more all-terrain) both @88mm. Not sure how Bonafide is @slower speeds?..but has many fans)

A few others..(that I haven't skied;-);-)) thought I'd throw out there...

K2's AMP Rictors 82/90 XTi ....smooth flex and a little softer than Blizzards, especially the 90 XTi.
Icelantic SKNY Nomad RKR, 84mm
LINE Sick Day95 (enough edgegrip + just in Case day, ice?)
I handflexed HEAD's Rev90..seemed lighter and lively for a 90mm...
Nordica NRGY90
$.01..

Last edited:

Madroch

Love my sick day 95s- and they handle groomed pretty well for their width- but they are not ideal for ice- not horrible- bit it if ice is your most common condition- i would go narrower or at least stiffer/heavier. Would rather have to work a 78-85 ski on the occasional soft/pow day than work the sick day day in and day out on the blue ice... Justly two cents. I have a pair of fisher motive 84 that are nicer firm snow skis- and of course, why stop there when you can add a race carver and/or GS ski for the teeth chatteringly firm days

Scrundy

Got to agree 98 is to much for us East Coasters. My daily driver has been the Line 90 for the past 3 years, love them. Great for near all conditions but real hard pack. Owned a pair of 98 waist skis and found them over kill. If you feel you need the larger waist look at the Line Supernatural 92 real smooth ski. I would own a pair but got a thing about going over 90 for a crazy reason. ( got to draw a line someplace)
If I were you I think I would have 2 ski quiver East & West

CuseInDaHouse

So i ended up getting the blizzard brahma in 173. I went a lil shorter due to being on the mountain with my daughter and occasionally having a few runs to rip on my own. I slapped some griffons on those sticks and im excited to try them at camelback mtn in the poconos and at whitetail, and wisp

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone