• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

North Conway ski shop intel?

drjeff

Any reccomendations from the North Conway regulars for a shop that does GOOD race tunes/grinds?

My oldest kid is racing at Attitash next Thursday - Sunday in the Eastern Highschool Championships, and I know from her 1st trip to these Championships just prior to when COVID shut everything down 2 years ago when they were held at Cannon that I am going to need to get atleast 1 pair of her race skis, if not 2, tuned after the training day is done prior to the race days, and frankly I don't want to bring all of my tuning gear, as well as I don't think the hotel our state team is staying at has a tuning room.

Thanks in advance for the advice

pinion

Any reccomendations from the North Conway regulars for a shop that does GOOD race tunes/grinds?

My oldest kid is racing at Attitash next Thursday - Sunday in the Eastern Highschool Championships, and I know from her 1st trip to these Championships just prior to when COVID shut everything down 2 years ago when they were held at Cannon that I am going to need to get atleast 1 pair of her race skis, if not 2, tuned after the training day is done prior to the race days, and frankly I don't want to bring all of my tuning gear, as well as I don't think the hotel our state team is staying at has a tuning room.

Thanks in advance for the advice

Stan & Dan's handles much of the local race teams' needs. New ownership but same people. Been a patron there for 30 years. Give em a call and see if they can provide quick turnaround.

Edd

Last edited:

pinion

No, but heard positive things. Hard to beat that location if you are staying near Attitash.

2Planker

Stan & Dan's all the way.
Race Teams, Ski Instructors, Patrollers all have relied on them for 15+ years.

kickstand

Stan and Dan's for sure. Sport Thoma would be next choice. Andes is much more of a rental shop on the way to Attitash. Can't see them servicing racers.

drjeff

Thanks for all the replies on this!

Sounds like Stan and Dan's is where I will be checking 1st

Katahdin

New ownership but same people. Been a patron there for 30 years.
Stan and Dan have sold the shop? Can't say that I'm surprised to hear that, I don't think I've seen either one of them in the shop this winter. Wondering about the change with new computer system instead of the old hand written receipts too.

thebigo

Thanks for all the replies on this!

Sounds like Stan and Dan's is where I will be checking 1st
Did you end up using Stan and Dan's? How was the race tune? Did they turn the skis around overnight?

Mainer

Everybody says Stan and dans is the best. When I brought my skis to be tuned they had a bunch of core shots. I pointed them out and they said they would fix them. Get them back and they never fixed them. They said I only paid for a basic tune. I explained that I showed the guy the holes I dropped them off too and paid up front. The core shots were the main reason I brought them in. Basically had to throw a fit to get them fixed properly. They wanted to charge me again to fix.
The old margarita grill now is a tune shop and serves beer while you wait. Havent tried them yet

BodeMiller1

Skip the woodchipper, teach the racer to tune their own. You can get all the specs off the ski manufactures website.

It doesn't take much. Many of the extreme skiers like Sage - Catabrigger Alsoa (spelling) never wax at all.

File under: give a youth a fish he easts for a day, teach...

BodeMiller1

Aren't you supposed to drink beer after your feet hurt from dull skis?

Bode Miller drinks before World Cup races butt, truth be told he is a better skier than I.

File under: I didn't know this.
🐢

drjeff

Did you end up using Stan and Dan's? How was the race tune? Did they turn the skis around overnight?
Last March atleast, their race tune service was good. Dropped them after last chair and picked them up on the way to the hill the next morning (and Big O I am sure that you know that on the way to the hill in racer terms means arriving well before 1st chair 😉 )

Edd

Had a tune done at Andes for this first time last month. I liked the staff I dealt with. Pretty sure they over sharpened my skis, though.