• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Nov. 28: Let's keep each other updated during this rain/snow

Joshua B

I know we all wanna ski during our time off. Can our brothers and sisters in ski country post reports about what exactly is happening at the mountains that are open and trying to open? If this is not a total washout, and some places pick up snow, isn't Sunday looking like the best day to ski? Basically this is an open request for weather updates from A-Zoner's who live near places like Okemo, Stowe, Bretton Woods, Wildcat, Jiminy Peak, etc. Thanks!

I

IndyJones

Not really in your area but:

Perfect North Slopes, Indiana- High-42 Temps. slowly drop during the day. Rain changes over to snow.

Snow Report- No new snowmaking since Monday. Snowmaking possible the next few nights.

J

jlangdale

Rain gently coming down, not too horrible. Certainly not the flood some people have feared. Then again it's not over yet. Muddy, crappy yucky weather. Sugarbush is opening day tomorrow for $15 ticket at North. Keep your fingers crossed.

I

IndyJones

I snowed big chunks here for abouot 1 hour. :D But nothing collected. :cry:

J

jlangdale

jlangdale said:
Rain gently coming down, not too horrible. Certainly not the flood some people have feared. Then again it's not over yet. Muddy, crappy yucky weather. Sugarbush is opening day tomorrow for $15 ticket at North. Keep your fingers crossed.

More rain up here, getting more intense but colder. If temps wouild go down, might get a nice snow storm.

J

jlangdale

Joshua B said:
Thanks for the reports Jon!

I just drove back from Burlington, a lot of $ain and wind. Not very pretty at all. I'm going to head up to Sugarbush tomorrow for opening day to see what's doing... *Glup* ...if they open.

Good news is once this warm liqud is done, the forecast is for cold weather.

R

RichC

All the natural snow on Cannon Mtn has melted from the ski trails. It is starting to snow now so maybe we'll get some accumlation over the next few days.

J

jlangdale

With all the wind and snow coming down, its looking like a blizzard up here. Should be a good day tomorrow.

jimme

Jiminy Peak- Saturday 11/29 3:00
Glad they were open as I needed a break. Jiminy typicaly gets the same weather as I do so they must've gotten hammered from the same rain on Friday. Can't say it was too good. Mostly hardpack with quite a few icy spots. There was some softer man-made on the sides and scatted about the trail. One run down. From grass to maybe 16" base. The 'wind tunnel' at the top of West Bank was brutal with the high winds. Definately better than not skiing! They plan to blow a lot of snow this week.

Jimme

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
Friday night was *warm* up north. It felt like 50 degrees, and the unheated cabin I woke up in on Saturday morning was almost 60. A lot of rain fell, and wiped out all the snow.

But then the temps plummetted, and several inches of snow fell during the day in the northern Presies, particularly between 2500' and 5000'.

Saturday night was moderate blowing snow from Lincoln, NH north. Winds were vicious, 30-40mph gusts. Road conditions were treacherous - many icy patches, spinouts, and Rte 3 was closed between I-93 and Trudeau Road.

Joshua B

Well after everything I decided not to ski. I'm a warm weather skier (stop snickering!) and I didn't want to brave the strong winds for just a few trails even though it seems like the wind has really calmed down today (Sunday), it was very windy early this morning. But what a great job everybody has done keeping us all posted of the weather in their areas. Hope we can continue this throughout the season. Another great thing--it all stayed in one topic.

pepperdawg

Yeah I also ended up bailing on riding today..was goind to hit Mt.Snow or flatkemo, but not a fan of hardpack/scraped conditions...next weekend should be better....still only 2 days this year and its the end of Nov....bad news.. :(

Greg

Staff member
Joshua B said:
Hope we can continue this throughout the season. Another great thing--it all stayed in one topic.
Agreed. Great thread concept. We should continue these as weather events occur throughout the season. This week looks good for snowmaking!