• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

NWS 2016 / 2017 Winter forecast!

snoseek

Give me some corn snow and melt this shit down at the coast please!

Glenn

This could be interesting. NWS has the potential for some decent QPF numbers...but aren't sure on temps at this point.

mriceyman

Hug the cmc and all of vt stays snow

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

snoseek

I just informed my workplace I in fact WON'T be in on Sunday but rather at wildcat. Im sure they'll get over it....

MommaBear

This could be interesting. NWS has the potential for some decent QPF numbers...but aren't sure on temps at this point.

Saw Wunderground with 8 to 12 for Mount Snow on Friday earlier this morning - THAT caught my attention...lol!

Glenn

I saw similar numbers! I just get nervous when it looks good, this far out.

catsup948

Friday night could happen. I hope it's a bit more north than currently modeled. Nice 4-8" at Jay would make me happy.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

BenedictGomez

I saw similar numbers! I just get nervous when it looks good, this far out.

That's very dicey for several reasons. It's jackpotting because you're dancing on the r/s line, which is always risky. Also, there's some "non-snow" precipitation in there that's being falsely counted as snow by the model. I'd rather be farther north for this event, and I'm calling the surprise powder day now, say 6" or better from MRG all the way to JP. The trend has been good for several days now, in orientation and in it printing colder. With any luck perhaps all of VT will be a winner with a few more model runs.

Jay Peak for me on Friday, then for my final east coast 2016/17 powder day, I think I'll head to Smuggler's Notch on Saturday where you'll find me lapping Doc's to Bermuda until my legs fall off.

Last edited:

VTKilarney

I have driven all over Vermont these law two days, and the snow is melting fast. Southern Vermont natural snow trails look to be done. I saw Magic from fairly close up and this was definitely true there.

Glenn

Seems that most sites are calling for quite a bit in the graphical forecast. Reading the NWS Forecast discussion out of Albany: 4" or less for valley areas, 6"+ for the mountains with the caveat: "low confidence at this time."

So another wait and see storm. But still, a few inches of snow wouldn't hurt things! Based on what fell last Saturday, it'll probably be a heavier, sticker snow.

slatham

This weekend will be 10"+ of dense wet snow at elevation north of I90 and will put most natural terrain back in action.

Euro showing two storms next week with potential too.

Fat lady is napping.......

Tin

This weekend will be 10"+ of dense wet snow at elevation north of I90 and will put most natural terrain back in action.

Euro showing two storms next week with potential too.

Fat lady is napping.......

You just cursed it.

Glenn

NWS Albany hasn't changed much since this AM. We'll see what the afternoon/evening model runs say.

I wonder if their views on the forecast discussion go up significantly during the winter months? I can't recall clicking on that but a handful of times between May and September.

Jully

NWS Albany hasn't changed much since this AM. We'll see what the afternoon/evening model runs say.

I wonder if their views on the forecast discussion go up significantly during the winter months? I can't recall clicking on that but a handful of times between May and September.

Well for skiers, absolutely. There are plenty of other summer activities that would draw just as much interest. Camping, hiking, anything on the ocean.