• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

NYC Shows..Broadway? Other family attractions?

SkiFanE

Going to the Big Apple with the hubby and kids for 4 days in a few weeks. We want to catch a show, last time we saw Lion King. Hoping we can all see the same one, but with 3 kids between 16 and 6yo it's a wide spread...oldest are 2 girls 16 &11, so could split up if needed. Any advice welcome.

Also..other kid friendly stuff. Figure the Intreped air/navy museum for little guy, teen just wants to shop (what else would you do in NYC :roll: ) and 2 youngest want to go to Musuem of Nat'l History, even though last time they were bored silly. But they did ask if they can see it "Come alive" so I think they've seen Night at Museum a few too many times lol. My choice is Tenement museum. We're staying on 49th, kids loved Times Sq last time.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
My kids are a bit younger (4 & 6), but they've had a lot of fun just exploring midtown with me. We've done a bakery tour (MacaRon Cafe, Momofuku Milk Bar, Crumbs Bake Shop, Magnolia Bakery etc.). Lily O'Brien's Chocolate Cafe and Serendipity 3 were also big hits. I've taken them to FAO Schwarz (right near the bottom of Central Park) and Toys R Us in Times Square (they loved the ferris wheel inside). Carmine's is a great place to eat near Time's Square; they serve family style and the food is fantastic. What else? My kids wanted to go to the top of the Rock, but it's a bit pricey. I've been to the top of the Empire State Building, but it was a really long wait. Not sure my 6-year-old would stand around for that.

They loved running around in Central Park; I keep meaning to take them to the Central Park Zoo, but we haven't gotten there yet. (Though we have been to the Bronx Zoo several times, but that's not really near where you'll be.)

If you're willing to go downtown more, there's always the Brooklyn Bridge, which you can walk on. Chinatown and Little Italy aren't far from there. South Street Seaport. Battery Park.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Spend at least a sunny afternoon getting into some nooks and cranny's in Central Park. Walk around the reservoir. It is beautiful and the trees should be in bloom. As an ex-Manhattanite for over a decade, Central Park is a treasure and dream. Plus the view of the tall buildings with trees in the foreground make for some interesting photographs.

legalskier

Check out the High Line, which has been a huge success: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Line_(New_York_City)
http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/06/25/new-high-line-designs-are-unveiled/

11_Gans_woodland-533.jpg

I believe the 911 museum is now open on the former WTC site: http://www.911memorial.org/

Family shows include Wicked and Mary Poppins, among others. I've seen Wicked- it's terrific. Cirque de Soleil usually has several shows going too.

You might also check out the CSI- The Experience at Discovery Times Square. It's been extended due to popular demand: http://www.discoverytsx.com/exhibitions/csi

SkiFanE

Awesome advice, thanks everyone! Thanks for bakery ideas Severine, that might be cool. Hoping to avoid toy stores though lol (you haven't seen my house ;) ), but the American Girl doll store is a given, even though my kid hasn't touched hers in a year, she wants to go {{ ugh}}.

Any other ideas still welcome, crossing fingers it'll be decent weather.

ScottySkis

Natural History Museum on west side of Central Park is awesome for families and cost to get in is donation, they suggested 20 dollars but you can donate what ever amount you want, and great burgers to be had at Nicks pizza on 68st. and Columbus Ave but ititialian food their not so good.

2knees

Awesome advice, thanks everyone! Thanks for bakery ideas Severine, that might be cool. Hoping to avoid toy stores though lol (you haven't seen my house ;) ), but the American Girl doll store is a given, even though my kid hasn't touched hers in a year, she wants to go {{ ugh}}.

Any other ideas still welcome, crossing fingers it'll be decent weather.

go to the nintendo store. waaaay better then the American Girl doll store.

Not sure how long its running but Mary Poppins is apparently awesome. kids saw it a few weeks ago. I didnt make the trip but based on their reaction i should've gone.

SkiFanE

go to the nintendo store. waaaay better then the American Girl doll store.

Not sure how long its running but Mary Poppins is apparently awesome. kids saw it a few weeks ago. I didnt make the trip but based on their reaction i should've gone.

Nintendo store - great idea. Would a 16yo teen like Mary Poppins? I'll look into Wicked, I know people have raved about it - just want to figure out how kid friendly it is.

SkiDork

9/11 memorial but you would have to see what the wait for tix is. If you can't get in, at least walk around the site, pretty impressive seeing the new 1 WTC going up.

WakeboardMom

How did it go?

Did you buy your tickets for the show on the day of? How'd you do? Carriage ride in Central park? LOL...inquiring minds want to know!

Johnskiismore

Website
www.skine.net
Was a chaperon for a HS trip in NYC last week and we saw Godspell. Easily the best rendition of the musical I have seen. Highly recommend it!

As posted by Legalskier, High Line is really cool! An abandoned elevated rail line converted to a walkway complete with gardens, stages for performers, grandstands to look down at intersections, a very unique way to look at the city.

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
if you like museums the natural history museum is always awesome. The Guggenheim is always cool too, even if only for the unique architecture.

ScottySkis

if you like museums the natural history museum is always awesome. The Guggenheim is always cool too, even if only for the unique architecture.

And history museum is donation based but they ask for 20$ ,but your choice and Nick is correct their both awesome places.

WakeboardMom

Well, MA vacation was last week, so I assumed that SkiFanE was back...

Hoping for a TR.

hammer

Any TRs? Looking to go to NYC next summer for about 4-5 days (family of 4, kids 20 and 16) and any advice on hotels in Manhattan and things to do would be appreciated.

ScottySkis

Any TRs? Looking to go to NYC next summer for about 4-5 days (family of 4, kids 20 and 16) and any advice on hotels in Manhattan and things to do would be appreciated.

So much to do you should check villagevoice.com for entertainment. Central Park , if you like John Lennon go to 72 st Strawberry fields in the park their is a great tribute to him. So much to do. Brooklyn is great by East river good drink spots and cheaper then Manhattan. Brooklyn bowl for shows. Book of Mormons is very funny show on Broadway I hear. I try to add more as I think about it. I do not much about hotels but if your willing to stay in Hoboken 15 minutes to lower NyC it would much cheaper. Lots of great museums , Natural history by central Park west in the 60s st wise is one the best and they suggest 20$ but its volunteer so you can give as little or much as you want. Lots of museums are like that. State of liberty is lots of tourists and okay. Midtown NYc is very tourist but all the great Broadway plays are in midtown. Downtown NYc is great for music and teenagers will love th at like 14 street area, Greenwich village is awesome. Pizza is great but not as cheap as it use to be. So much to do in nyc. Brooklyn bridge is a beautiful bridge, you can ride bike on, also great biking by Hudson river. Beacon theater has one of best venues for music. Chinatown by canal street has some great food and all the fake Rolexs and lots of cheap stuff sold on Canal street. Little Italy is next to Chinatown and is kind of tourist, but still cool to see the Fest of Sanero in September.

Last edited:

dmc

GO see the Broadway show Once.
One of my buddies is in it and it's really good... :)