• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Oakes Gulf, Mt. Washington, NH - 3/30/2006

lftgly

After 3 perfect bluebird weekdays in a row, Monday through Wednesday, 2 more near-perfect days were on tap for Thursday and Friday. With rain forecast for Saturday, and the snowpack shrinking daily, I made the last-minute decision to ski Thursday. It was too late to get any skiing partners, but I was not destined to ski alone...

Upon arriving at the Cog Base, I found 2 other eager souls heading up the Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail to ski Oakes Gulf. A few minutes later, another car arrived, and 2 Vermont freehealers swelled the ranks of our pilgrimage to 5.

Img_0564.jpg

Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail, Gem Pool, SledHaulingMedic

Img_0565.jpg

Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail

Img_0566.jpg

Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail

Img_0567.jpg

After a lunch break on the sunny East side of the Lakes of the Clouds hut, we ventured over the Dry River Trail into Oakes Gulf.

Img_0568.jpg

Zack ripping in Oakes Gulf!

Img_0573.jpg

SledHaulingMedic rips in Oakes Gulf!

Img_0571.jpg

View towards Double Barrel, Oakes Gulf

Img_0576.jpg

Oakes Gulf, view towards Boot Spur

Img_0577.jpg

Oakes Gulf, view towards central gully

Img_0578.jpg

Oakes Gulf, view back towards our tracks

lftgly

Img_0581.jpg

Oakes Gulf, SledHaulingMedic skinning back up

Img_0584.jpg

Oakes Gulf, Zack's tracks

Img_0585.jpg

Mt. Washington, Zack skiing Crawford Path towards Lake of the Clouds hut and Mt. Monroe

Img_0588.jpg

Mt. Washington, skiing towards Ammonoosuc Ravine

Img_0590.jpg

Mt. Washington, Zach and SledHaulingMedic

Img_0593.jpg

Perfect sunset from the Cog Base, ending a perfect day on the RockPile!

lftgly

It was about two and a half to three hours each way. On the ascent, crampons were nice, but not necessary. The trail was still pretty firm in the morning, but not as icy as I expected. On the descent, Sled and I were hobbled by wet snow balling up under our crampons, until we took them off; and Zach beat us down to the trailhead.

NHpowderhound

lftgly wrote
Sled and I were hobbled by wet snow balling up under our crampons, until we took them off; and Zach beat us down to the trailhead.
That is one of the first things I noticed when I saw your pic of sledhaulingmedic at the Gem Pool. That sucks. Ive had some bad experiences with wet snow balling up on gator straps, skins and crampons as well.
Great report! :beer:
((*
*))NHPH