• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Okemo 2/20/16

dlague

Okemo

We had skipped out on skiing last weekend which I find to be a mistake because I find my legs lose ski memory really fast. *So to get our legs back into skiing before arriving in Colorado we decided to ski Okemo. *There was a bout and inch or two of new snow at Okemo when we arrived around 9:30. *The temp was already at 35 degrees and the high going to 45.*

Our first runs were aimed at getting to Jackson Gore, but going via North Star was not happening. *Rather we skied from the Black Ridge and Green Ridge chairs over to Jackson Gore. *Every time we go to Okemo, we never learn - the lines at JG are always long. There are a couple of bump runs on that side but we passed since we waited forever to get out of JG. *Then there is the way out of JG where you have to go through a two way bridge then down Mountain Road which was loaded with beginners snow plowing all over the place. *We bailed at the first opportunity and ended at the base of the Solitude chair where we lapped that lift a couple times. *

On our last run down, hunger set in and we headed into the lodge at that lift. *Well there really is not a bar option there. *More like a cafe and what looked like a fine dinning restaurant. *There is a small bar there but that's it. *We had a beverage before heading back to the main lodge.

The next run down Express lane>rt 103>Upper Arrow and we arrived at Sels choice. *Something I have never seen before a warning of moguls ahead which made me laugh. *Heading down that trail the bumps we also laughable. My family was getting sick of lift rides. *We did finally eat at the *Okemo Main Lodge.

I was getting tired of not skiing much and I promised that we will stick to an area and make some runs. *Once again avoiding the North Star lift we took Sachem and Glades Peak lifts and we finally lapped the South Face lift skiing on Stump Jumper, Punch Line and *Wild Thing. * Before heading back on Rim Rock to lap Sachem for a couple final runs on Lower World Cup.

Overall it was a strange day. *Conditions in the morning were packed powder that had a glassy surface that was slippery and while it carved well on flats it skied funny. *By noon it softened to spring like conditions where slopes with more grade skied well enough but dips and flats stalled. *We have never skied Okemo on a Saturday and now I know why. *The lifts with bubble chairs had lift lines that we crazy and the longest we have experienced this season. *One th ink I found odd was the lack of skiers on black trails which is fine my me. *Their black trails are like blue trails at other larger ski areas IMO. *My wife kept mentioning that on each run. *The warning sign for moguls was also kind of funny.

It was an ok day but I think we are done with Okemo for a while.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

Savemeasammy

Sel's on Sunday had some of the sweetest looking zipper lines I've seen this season.

Laughable? If you say so...

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1456145352.047606.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1456145352.047606.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 181

bdfreetuna

For a "bump warning" sign those are pretty tiny looking moguls. Makes it easy to run the zip when the bumps are a foot high and it's a 45 degree day ;)

Savemeasammy

For a "bump warning" sign those are pretty tiny looking moguls. Makes it easy to run the zip when the bumps are a foot high and it's a 45 degree day ;)

Maybe you need to show me how it's done?

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

dlague

Sel's on Sunday had some of the sweetest looking zipper lines I've seen this season.

Laughable? If you say so...

I am not a very good bump skier, but like the challenge - those were not challenging. Laughable because the sign makes it feel so threatening and they weren't.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

dlague

Sel's Choice - this is what I experienced, you decide!

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1456239480.028813.jpg

dlague

Other pcs from that day!

Lift lines for any bubble chair.
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1456239663.472611.jpg

Packed powder but firm
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1456239711.561384.jpg

Wild Thing
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1456239763.285672.jpg

Punchline
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1456239868.766565.jpg

Lower World Cup
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1456239902.220585.jpg

hammer

That packed powder is really packed...but I guess anything white is good for this season.

As an intermediate I liked Okemo, although it seemed to lack in variety. Just not worth dealing with the crowds though.

Savemeasammy

Sel's Choice - this is what I experienced, you decide!

View attachment 19196

My pic was from skiers left, top of the run. The light is obviously flat, and the bumps don't stand out as well as they did in person. They weren't huge man-eaters, but they were good size, they were fairly tight, and had great rhythm. I'd take them every day.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

Tin

When it comes to bumps, no matter what the discussion, Savemeasammy should be listened to. One of the best zippers around. You'll be seeing his boys in big time mogul/freestyle competitions shortly.

Despite his horrible taste in beer he is a connoisseur amongst other things, such as moguls. He complains about bumps so much if he says they are good, they must be terrific.

powhunter

With this shitty no snow year..bump skiers gotta take what they can get. I remember a bunch of years ago on a good snow year Sels had some nice deep bumps that we lapped until we couldn't walk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk