• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Okemo Expansion? (Yes, there's more condos) Expansion Approved

Big Game

Why does it take other VT. areas years to get Act 250 approval for expansion projects yet Okemo seems to have been approved overnight?

Land Use, like every other area of law, is all about appealing to the emotions of decision makers. Logic, reason, they are all simply the backfill to a predetermined conclusion that is completely based upon emotions.

I know because I have seen my logic fail, where my bullsht won (but it was quality bullsht).

So how to appeal to the emotions of decision makers? Imagine them as 6-year-olds. And you'll be 90% there.

My guess is that Okemo had some representation that understood this fundamental truth of human nature.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Why does it take other VT. areas years to get Act 250 approval for expansion projects yet Okemo seems to have been approved overnight?

I wouldn't say they get approval overnight, but I agree with you that their expansion plans always seem to come to fruition much faster than other areas.

There's probably numerous contributing factors. I can think of a few off the top of my head.

1. Consistency in Ownership/Management. The Mueller's have owned it for 31 years now. They've been dealing with Act 250 for a long time and know how to navigate the difficult approval process. It might be the longest continually owned/managed ski resort in VT at this point. Most ski areas in the state have been sold multiple times over during that time.

2. It's not part of the Green Mountain National Forest, but is in the Okemo State Forest. There's no federal red tape to navigate.

3. Much of the development they've done has occurred below 2500 feet elevation. I haven't lived in the state for a while and looked at the Act recently, but I seem to recall that development above 2500 feet (especially commercial buildings) is extremely difficult to get approved. IIRC I remember the Summit Lodge / Cafeteria being one of their most difficult battles to gain approval.

4. The owners grease up and make concessions to the locals quite generously, so they don't get much local backlash to their plans during the public commenting portion of the Act 250 approval process. An example was when they wanted to build their big snowmaking pond on the east side of route 100. The town grumbled about rising real estate costs, the mountain built an affordable housing neighborhood right next to it.

Overall, I guess just location and smart business acumen is why they've been able to advance their development faster then some other ski resorts in the state.

spiderpig

A slight correction, as the Muellers don't own okemo anymore, just manage it (which I'm guessing you know).

It seems like Jackson Gore took a long time to be approved, about four years. While they stopped building there after Bixby, this is a private development, as far as I know, so it's not that Okemo chose to build this instead of the next building at Jackson Gore. It does seem like the gondola is dead, but I would have preferred that over a lift just to reach the base of Solitude.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I graduated from UVM with the Mueller's son and Okemo was my home mountain from 84 to 94, so yup, I'm aware of the business structure.

I view the Gondola as a bad investment. It would be underutilized as it would essentially be a transfer lift as you couldn't realistically lap it. If you're going to spend that kind of cash on a lift, it better be one of the busiest on the hill. There's also the issue that the summit of the mountain really doesn't have any space to accommodate a Gondola terminal. It's already jam packed with the Northstar and Green Ridge lift terminals along with the lodge and the skier traffic coming into the area from Buckhorn.

twinplanx

What if they ran the gondola to the TRUE summit, up by the top of the Glades Triple? Idk if that's doable but that would be a TRUE transfer lift! Who wants to get on a packed to capacity lift anyway? Not me. Wth it ain't my money... ;-)

Sent from my SCH-S735C using Tapatalk

mbedle

What is interesting and maybe this is common with residential developments adjacent to ski areas, is the development is not being done by Okemo Mountain Resort. The resort will only be required to provide snowmaking and run the two lifts.

spiderpig

What is interesting and maybe this is common with residential developments adjacent to ski areas, is the development is not being done by Okemo Mountain Resort. The resort will only be required to provide snowmaking and run the two lifts.

Yes, we've been over that, thanks.