• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Okemo Opening Wednesday

xwhaler

Just noticed this on their website. I'll be there a week from this coming Sunday.
Say what you want abt Okemo being flat, expensive, crowded, and they groom everything to death but they do run a nice early season operation. World Cup is a fun run to rip on and IMHO better than anything K has going right now.

Tickets are $49 but if you are a NH/VT resident you can ski for $39. They may even let you go for $29 according to their deal page.

http://okemo.com/activities/snowsports/dailyreport.asp

xwhaler

I wouldn't be shocked if they had both the Green Ridge triple and one of the South ridge quads open by then also so you can avoid taking the carpet up. They have been blowing snow on Sapphire so I'd think they could get that and the Green Ridge on line for this wknd.

HD333

I wouldn't be shocked if they had both the Green Ridge triple and one of the South ridge quads open by then also so you can avoid taking the carpet up. They have been blowing snow on Sapphire so I'd think they could get that and the Green Ridge on line for this wknd.

They are saying the Sachem Quad and NorthStar for lifts, so Sechem Quad to Link down to Lower World Cup, then lap World Cup top to bottom until my legs or the kids make me to stop. If Saphire opens up that will be real nice for some variety.

xwhaler

Yea, thats what they are saying for Wednesday but if they get a chance to continue to make snow between now and Saturday I'd think they could get Green Ridge going as well.
That would help alleviate some wknd pressure on World Cup. Last yr that trail was filled Thanksgiving wknd with the OMS racers and I know they want to help disperse the crowds a bit.

HD333

Yea, thats what they are saying for Wednesday but if they get a chance to continue to make snow between now and Saturday I'd think they could get Green Ridge going as well.
That would help alleviate some wknd pressure on World Cup. Last yr that trail was filled Thanksgiving wknd with the OMS racers and I know they want to help disperse the crowds a bit.
I'll take Green Ridge opening up for the weekend. Disperse the crowds....

dlague

Okemo does an awesome job opening up terrain once they get started! Their interactive trail map is very useful to track progress day to day!

xwhaler

Okemo is in pretty good shape so far it seems....they are opening more terrain tomorrow.
Not sure if they will run Green Ridge chair for the wknd but I'd bet you'll see one of the South Ride quads go online so they can handle some up hill traffic to Northstar.

Looking fwd to next wknd!

giantfan

From Bruce's (the GM) blog:

Moving forward the plan is to continue to add another way down from the summit to the base. It looks like we will be making our way down Sapphire, Upper and Lower Arrow and then Lower Mountain Road. This will also allow the Base Quad to be opened. When we do that, we would not operate the F-10 carpet or the Sachem Quad at least until we had more terrain around those lifts. We will probably operate the Green Ridge at least during the weekend.