• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Okemo Snowmaking?

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I ski Okemo probably 3-5 times a year. Yes they groom a lot but when they're 100% open there's more than enough variety to keep me entertained.

I went last Tuesday and I was surprised to see how far behind they were on snowmaking. No snow blown on Dream Weaver, Off the Rim, Wild Thing, Ledges, Outrage, or Big Bang...maybe more trails...I don't know for sure. I do check their report pretty much daily and they seem to be in "re-surface as necessary" mode rather than expansion. They are blowing their Superpipe which surprised me given the several trails I listed above which haven't gotten snowmaking. These are major trails, too. Makes me wonder what their snowmaking philosophy is these days. I know they were pretty much right on top of Killington and Sunday River for snowmaking power and aggressiveness in the 90s and 00s. Maybe those days are gone? I don't ski there enough to really know. Maybe they normally finish these trails later? What's the scoop?

Zermatt

They aren't 100% open?

Earlier this season they were actually ahead of Killington while they were bogged down with the World Cup.

My guess is they either ran out of water (not likely) or they are happy with all the natural snow they have and are saving it for recovery mode.

Dickc

With the brutal cold, they may have frozen a needed pipe to some areas, or decided NOT to risk freezing a pipe.