• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Okemo vs. Loon - pros and cons?

deadheadskier

Staff member
Agreed. And I would like to add that what he/she said is nothing to get worked up over. The badass hardcores in here ain't lookin for what that post is selling anyway. :razz:

Bingo

(not to say you're not hardcore Newdaddy. ;) I think I'm at least 37% hardcore New England skier and I grew up skiing Okemo.

New Daddy

Harshness! Please pardon my passion for Okemo (yes, I am a resort representative and didn't realize I needed some identifying badge - I'm new here). I certainly didn't mean to create such a stir. And I'm sorry if anyone mistook my heartfelt enthusiasm for a two-by-four-between-the-eyes sales pitch.

Don't take it too hard. I was actually glad that a Okemo representative was paying attention to the forum. But do stay on and interact, like some other resort representatives do. People appreciate it.

New Daddy

Thanks for all the valuable insights and suggestions. We thought we had it all figured out by narrowing it down to Okemo and Loon, after years of research, visits, and elimination. But it looks like we should look into K'ton as well. I think we may start with a seasonal rental with an option to buy in even after we decide on the location, to see if the mountain doesn't get old too quickly. I'll keep you guys posted.

Cannonball

Thanks for all the valuable insights and suggestions. We thought we had it all figured out by narrowing it down to Okemo and Loon, after years of research, visits, and elimination. But it looks like we should look into K'ton as well. I think we may start with a seasonal rental with an option to buy in even after we decide on the location, to see if the mountain doesn't get old too quickly. I'll keep you guys posted.

Good luck in your search. Really can't go wrong either way. And your approaching it right. We did several month long rentals at different resorts, followed by 3 years of seasonal rentals before finally buying.

New Daddy

I'm going out on a limb here and assume your child/children are/is pretty young... ;) Lets be real, kids would love either of these mountains! When I was a kid I skied at Whaleback and was perfectly happy - Okemo or Loon would have been that much better... If I had this particular "problem", I would choose Loon. It's an hour closer, and that's a big deal. However, I think more importantly if you will use this place in the summer, the white mountains have more stuff to do with a young family. We love to bring our 3 and 5 year olds to Santa's Village and Story Land - and there are a ton of other options within striking distance. Also, if you intend to rent it out at all, Lincoln is an attractive destination year round.

Yes, the younger one will be 4 by next season and will be accepted by ski school for full day and be able to ride with us on bunny hills without tether, if she is on similar growth path to her older sibling. It means we will truly become a skiing family. My wife and I have been waiting for this point for long and wanted to coincide it with the purchase of our second home in the mountain. But after all the good advice, we will probably take a more judicious approach, rather than make a big, celebratory investment.

BTW, it's too bad they shuttered Whaleback. I always promised to myself I'd ski Whaleback some day whenever I passed by it on I-89. I wish I had acted on it. Nothing can be taken for granted these days.

Last edited:

Savemeasammy

There are a number of community members who are trying to save Whaleback. I'm not sure what their plan is, but they have a Facebook page called "Save the Whale" where they are collecting donations. Perhaps they will be able to make a comeback! It would be a loss to the Upper Valley if Whaleback were to shut down. Lots of heartbroken kids...

spiderpig

To reply to a couple of your posts, I can't compare Okemo to what Loon is today, but I am a lifelong Okemo skier. I skied Loon twice when they had the Mountain Dew Vertical Challenge finals (which now happen to be at Okemo), but that was many years ago, so I'll just stick to recommendations of Okemo. I think Lincoln is more active than Ludlow, which is part of the reason MDVC finals were located there for so many years.

Yes, the trails off of the Northstar ski big, but mid-season Saturdays, you'll want to stick to the other lifts between 9:00 and 3:00 (noon-1:00 is sometimes okay). I never ski Okemo on holidays, so I can't speak to how busy it gets at its peak. There is an easy trail from the top of every lift, and if you want to send the kids by themselves at some point, they won't get lost on the trails from the top of Jackson Gore or South Face. The top of South Face is actually the peak of the mountain.

I feel like Okemo has enough variety, but that may just be because I was brainwashed from a young age and like it there. They added three new glades this season, which are rated blue but ski more like blacks. Snowmaking and grooming is excellent, though some would say they overdo the latter. When you are skiing without the kids and there is natural snow, you can take almost 40 runs in a day, assuming an hour for lunch and almost no lift lines, and I have done that including glades, moguls, and groomers without repeating the main portion of a run. But you probably know some of this since you have skied there before.

If you do get tired of Okemo, there are six other resorts under an hour's drive away, and Mount Snow is just outside of that range. Unfortunately, Okemo and Stratton have dropped their season pass arrangement, but you do get access to Mount Sunapee, which might make your drive shorter on Sunday. I can't figure out exactly where you're driving from, but I would strongly discourage driving on VT-131 west of 106 while it's snowing; take VT-103 if that's not too far out of your way. Of course, that involves a big hill a few miles south of the intersection with 131.

It sounds wise to rent at a mountain for one season first. Good luck with your choice!

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Harshness! Please pardon my passion for Okemo (yes, I am a resort representative and didn't realize I needed some identifying badge - I'm new here). I certainly didn't mean to create such a stir. And I'm sorry if anyone mistook my heartfelt enthusiasm for a two-by-four-between-the-eyes sales pitch.

Hi OkemoMountain

I can't believe I missed this post last year. We always welcome mountain reps on the forum, and yes of course I understand that every mountain rep is going to think their mountain is the best. That's obvious.

Of course, the fact that you are a mountain rep probably makes it inherently less valuable when you say to pick Okemo, nothing personal, but it's not an unbiased opinion, right?

Anyway, send me a PM if you want to chat more about getting an official industry badge on AZ and are interested in participating more going forward.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
You don't think that post from Okemo was a little over the top? They haven't even requested an official Industry Insider badge. I don't think I've ever seen any mountain rep delivery a sales pitch post quite that over the top. Personal feelings aside, from a business perspective, that is a textbook case of what NOT to do with social media.

I hadn't even seen this post before. Yes, OkemoMountain gushing about Okemo Mountain is pretty over the top. Like a parent saying their child is the best child :) of course they will think that.

They should contact me so we can chat more about exactly what is / isn't allowed on the forum. I will send a PM.

drjeff

Okemo is closer to the Long Trail Brewery than Loon is to the Moat Mountain Smokehouse - advantage Okemo! :beer: :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AlpineZone mobile app

meff

But Loon is closer to Woodstock Inn and Brewery than Okemo is to Long Trail... :beer:

Edd

But distance needs to be pro-rated. Long Trail brewery is significantly better than Woodstock. (speaking as someone who loves the Woodstock Brewery and goes there a LOT).

This is the one not far from Killington? Actually stopped there for the first time last year. Maybe I should check again because I'd take Woodstock in a heartbeat.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I like long trail beer better than Woodstock but their brewpub is completely overrated. It closes at 7 PM. What's up with that?

Sent from my XT907 using AlpineZone mobile app

Cannonball

I like long trail beer better than Woodstock but their brewpub is completely overrated. It closes at 7 PM. What's up with that?

Yup, Long Trail beer is much better than Woodstock's. And while it's true the LT pub is stripped down and closes too early, the renovated Woodstock is more like a theme park now. (again, speaking as someone who still spends a lot of time there and drinks a LLLLLLOOOOTTTTT of their beer)

Smellytele

Yup, Long Trail beer is much better than Woodstock's. And while it's true the LT pub is stripped down and closes too early, the renovated Woodstock is more like a theme park now. (again, speaking as someone who still spends a lot of time there and drinks a LLLLLLOOOOTTTTT of their beer)

Not liking the renovated Woodstock Inn upper bar either but the lower bar is still the same when it is open. I actually like the Pigs ear better than any of the long trail offerings I have tried. Don't get me wrong I like Long trail as well.