• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Okemo vs. Loon - pros and cons?

dlague

Reading this thread - I think you scared OkemoMountain away - three posts and done!

My vote Wostock Inn for atmosphere yes! Long Trail for the beer yes! Lontrail for atmosphere no! Woodstock for beer - well the Pigs Ear Brown Ale is pretty good!

Zand

I feel like the little ones might get fed up with Loon's lines on weekends. Gondola and Kanc both can get pretty ridiculous (30+ mins) and you can only avoid them by staying on the upper mountain and using the East Basin lifts, but those will also rack up the lines pretty fast. Haven't skied there since they expanded to South, so I can't speak for the lines over there... maybe it offers a break from the lines. On the other hand, yes Okemo's lines are ridiculous at the base quads and northstar, but once you get off those it's usually not bad at all. The upper mountain quads and triples, plus Solitude usually are pretty short waits on weekends. I also prefer the trails at Okemo to Loon, especially looking back to being a young beginner/intermediate 10-15 years ago.

As for drive time to Loon and stuff to do, Lincoln easily takes the cake there.

drjeff

Long Trail doesn't make a stout, therefore Woodstock wins.

Au contraire! They make one hell of a coffee stout in their brewmasters series, and more stouts are starting to show up in their brown bag series

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AlpineZone mobile app

ScottySkis

Au contraire! They make one hell of a coffee stout in their brewmasters series, and more stouts are starting to show up in their brown bag series

Coffee beer taste good I can't imagine that.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I've only skied Loon out of the two, but I t'm pretty sure that Okemo is larger. That said, Okemo has a lot of very similar terrain whereas Loon has some variety. Loon on midweek would be pretty good. A Saturday though is a different story.

deadheadskier

Staff member

Long Trail offered a standard stout for years only available in a 22 ounce bottle. I wonder when that was discontinued? When I was getting into craft beers in the mid-90s, Long Trail Stout and Shipyard Bluefin Stout were two of my go to beers during winter time. Instead of buying a six pack for the night, I'd just buy a couple of 22s of those brews.