• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Orford (QC) - 2/19/2013

snowmonster

Date(s) Skied: 2/19/2013

Resort or Ski Area: Orford

Conditions: -10C; No wind; Warmer than the past two days; Packed powder; Rocks and stumps in the glades!

Trip Report: Day Three of the snowmonster's tour of the Eastern Townships.

While the temperature was the same as the previous days, the absence of wind made it feel like a warm day. From Magog, Orford is just 15 minutes away. We got our tickets through a deal with the B&B we were staying at and paid about CAN$40 for a full day ticket.

Since little snowmonster was skiing with me, we started on the more gentle slopes of Mt. Giroux. After a few easy runs, I dove into the glades off the Quad Giroux Est. First glade I did was Lloyd Langlois, which was pretty good. Mellow in parts but tight in others. I could immediately see that Orford's ski patrol was way more liberal in its approach to opening glades. If this were Sutton, this would be a closed glade. Rocks, stumps, ice and punji sticks were all over the place. You had to pick your way through and be light on your feet to avoid base damage.

Next glade I did was further down. I decided to go down Boogie and that almost turned into a huge mistake. Basically, the glade narrowed to a cliff where the only way through was a narrow slot in the rocks. If you straightline the darned thing, you could smack into a tree. I side-slipped the thing, pointed them, jumped, fell then had to self arrest as my skis popped off in different directions. Yeah, Boogie kicked my butt all over town!

Not learning my lesson, I ducked into Lacroix, Labreque and Dubreuil on succeeding runs. All were pretty rocky and hairy. These glades should be pretty amazing after a big snowfall but, for now, it was a good test in technical skiing. My bases are absolutely scratched!

After a quick break, I sampled the runs of Mont Orford which is accessed by the chondola that they refer to as the Gondole Hybride. The steep run underneath the Gondole Hybride was a little icy but it was steep and suitable to long screaming runs. I decided to explore the glades off the 4KM trail. Most of them were closed and, because of their liberal glades policy, I respected those ropes. Petit Canyon glade was open though but I had to jump between rocks there in some parts. The last run was down L'Entrpide. Nice chute-like slot but it dead ended into another slot off a cliff needing a jump. It was only 3:15 but I was spent. Orford had kicked me down.

Before the drive back to the States, I decided to have a meal at the bar in the lodge. The poutine in peppercorn gravy was incredible. I would lick that plate! We had a good conversation with the ski school folks lounging at the bar. It was pretty neat that one of them gave me the low-down on the glades ("Watch out for that cliff on Boogie and, if you really want to jump off a cliff into trees, you should try L'Ecureuil. Mercifully, it was closed. By the way, that woman you were chatting with a while back. That's Mme. Labreque. That glade was named after her. She and the others used to trim the glades when they weren't official yet.") It was an awesome time at Orford.

My impression of Orford is that it seems like Cannon -- nice steep groomers with great glades. Actually, let me correct myself, the glades reminded me more of MRG! Ski it if you can!

Mont Giroux:

Orford1.jpg

Staring down Sherbrooke:

Orford2.jpg

Lloyd Langlois and the start of the infamous Boogie:

Orford3.jpg

Orford4.jpg

Attachments

• Orford5.jpg
    Orford5.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 116

deadheadskier

Staff member
I definitely want to check that place out when the snow is good. All of the Township resorts actually. Jealous of your trip.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
The glades there look fairly wide open. Is that characteristic of all of their glades or is that just a symptom of the more challenging trees being closed due to conditions?

emmaurice2

Great reports and pics. Definitely cool to read about places that aren't among the usual suspects (although i still enjoy those, too).

snowmonster

Warp, our neighbors up north definitely know how to live. Good food and good skiing. Oh yeah, very good looking women too.=)

deadheadskier, I think this week is a good time to hit the Eastern Townships. They were also hit by the same storm that hit VT. From the top of Giroux, you can clearly see Owl's Head and Jay Peak.

Riv, the glades are pretty wide. With good coverage, they should be pretty good skiing. In the conditions I had, it was dicey because of all the exposed rocks which made the glades seem tighter. I suspect the truly tight glades were closed. The ski school guys had some great stories about the glades on skiers' left off Orford's peak.

ememaurice, thanks, man. Definitely worth the tripacross the border.

gmcunni

we skied the same 3 mountains last year on pres weekend, it was a not so great snow year. of the 3, i like Orford the best. I think sutton would be amazing with a good snow base.

Robbski

Glad to hear you had such a good time. I'm thinking about this as a President's week trip next year. You didn't mention any crowds in any of the three trip reports (Orford, Bromont or Sutton) so safe to assume there weren't any?

snowmonster

They have a really cool online trail map. Can't say I've seen one like it.

http://orford.com/en/themountain/trail-map/
I totally missedthat. Good map!

very nice trip! jealous
Thanks! Time to head north!

we skied the same 3 mountains last year on pres weekend, it was a not so great snow year. of the 3, i like Orford the best. I think sutton would be amazing with a good snow base.
Personally, I would rate them: Sutton, Orford then Bromont. But, Sutton just pips Orford by a nose in my book. I was pleasantly surprised by Orford actually. I was expecting more of a groomer mountain but their glades were pretty good.

Glad to hear you had such a good time. I'm thinking about this as a President's week trip next year. You didn't mention any crowds in any of the three trip reports (Orford, Bromont or Sutton) so safe to assume there weren't any?
Yeah, even if it was President's Day weekend (I think the Canadians call it US Vacation week), there were no crowds. Bromont was the most "crowded" but even then the lines were not that long. Its proximity to Montreal, the availability of night skiing and the fact that it was Sunday afternoon probably had something to do with it. Sutton was the least crowded among the three. It was pretty neat pulling into the parking lot and seing all the MA, CT, NY and VT plates.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Looks awesome! I would love to hit them as well at some point. Going to have to be a scheduled vacation event. How much further past Jay are the Township resorts? It's another couple hours isn't it?

fbrissette

Looks awesome! I would love to hit them as well at some point. Going to have to be a scheduled vacation event. How much further past Jay are the Township resorts? It's another couple hours isn't it?

From Jay, you can hit owl's head in 25 minutes, Orford and Sutton in 45 minutes and Bromont in 1 hour.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AlpineZone mobile app

steamboat1

Glad you enjoyed your trip. I agree that skiing in the Township is pretty cool. Agree with your ranking also except I'd put Owl's Head ahead of Bromont. When I was last there I stayed in a motel on the access road to Sutton (can't remember the name). One of the nights the motel had a pig roast in their bar that cost only $10. The place was packed. The food was very good & plentiful.

gmcunni

we were surprised how easy it was to get there. we stayed in Magog which was minutes from Orford and ~30?? from Sutton. Magog was a nice town with a cute (wife's term) main street full of shops and restaurants. Tho mid-week it was very quiet.

Magog was a 5 hour straight shot from S CT, less time than getting to Sugarloaf.

bdfreetuna

I LOVE those wood shots. Some small cliffs... ice waterfall.. overall gnarly flow to the terrain. Jealous indeed. I may have to put this on my medium/long term to do list.